topic: 2662Hidden sidings using Peco points
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Mar 2015 15:58

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I need some hidden sidings for my 7mm layout and enclose a sketch of what is required.  I will use Peco points throughout for speed of construction.
It works as it gives me sufficient storage length in each loop and some room at either end to move a loco or stock between loops, but it does not look very nice. 
I have got this far by shuffling points back and forth along the curves.
Is there any way to easily optimise the design to make the storage roads look tidier?
What is the best way to align two roads when they are coming from points at opposite ends of loops?
Minimum radius is 4 ft (1220mm), but I would use a larger radius or an intervening straight on any reverse curves.
I am wondering if the first point on the RHS loops would be better as a Y, which I think is 1838mm radius left and right from the centre line?
Any comments or suggestions? 
Thanks for your help
Arthur

Attachment: attach_2098_2662_storage_sidings_29March15.box     222

posted: 29 Mar 2015 16:05

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hello Arthur,

Have you considered a traverser fiddle yard ? Maybe one split into two sections lengthwise. I have seen them work quite well and it is all plain track rather than turnouts.

Rob

posted: 29 Mar 2015 16:42

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Hi Rob,
I have got casettes at the moment and have thought of traversers and turntables, but eventually decided on this layout with the reversing loop, which also gives me the option of a continuous running circle (bottom right), for running stock in.
Regards, Arthur

posted: 29 Mar 2015 16:52

Rob Manchester

Hello Arthur,

Sorry, I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't suggesting removing the continuous run. Just make the current fans of Peco turnouts the start and end of the traverser.  You retain the option for running straight through if you wish.

Rob

posted: 29 Mar 2015 18:30

Nigel Brown

Hi Arthur

Something looks very odd. The 6' way coming out of the the complex seems about 4' or less, for the two middle roads. So I dug out the few Peco O turnouts I had tucked away, and that's what they give you. I think you need to space them so that you get a 6' way; the most obvious way is to stick a bit of plain track between the leading turnout and each of the other two; this will also enable you to avoid sleeper overlaps.

That will reduce the effective size of the loops though.

posted: 31 Mar 2015 08:47

roythebus

Aldington Frith, Ashford, Kent - United Kingdom

If you've got room, move the point fan left and replace the straight section on the left end of the loops with the points. The plan as drawn won't work and you're wasting loop space at each end. Could you use sharper radius curves as you're using sharper curves on the approaches.

I like idea of reverse loops in hidden sidings as it does away with all the handling of stock. I used one on an HO German layout I built back in the 1980s and it generated a lot of interest. And it worked.

posted: 31 Mar 2015 15:38

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks for all the help and suggestions, and particularly to Nigel for reminding me to set the loops at a nominal 100mm.  Once I had drawn one track I was then able to offset the rest 100mm and, with a bit of adjustment, that seems to work.
I have left some space at both ends of the loops, so that loco or stock can be shunted between loops without lifting them off the track.  The loops are still plenty long enough for my branch line trains.

An updated plan is enclosed.

I now have to work out how to wire it for DCC.  I think one Auto-reverse module should do this?

N.B.  If anyone has any 0 gauge Peco points or track they would like to dispose of (having changed to 'proper' trackwork) please PM me.  You will see all but one of the points I need are RH.
Thanks,
Arthur
Attachment: attach_2099_2662_storage_sidings_30March15.box     216

posted: 31 Mar 2015 16:06

Rob Manchester

Arthur,

You won't get any PM's via Templot. The facility was turned off a few months ago. If you make your email address visible in your Profile that will help others contact you.

Rob

posted: 31 Mar 2015 16:39

LSWRArt

Antibes - France

Thanks Rob - I had forgotten.
My email is:
arthurhilary@gmail.com

thanks, Arthur

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Hidden sidings using Peco points
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020