topic: 2666quick question re plain track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 1 Apr 2015 20:49

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin ( or others)

can I force plain track into a particular angle. Im trying to ensure that when I extend a transition curve ( Length) that the track is parallel to the Grid.

i.e. if I use <Curve> can I force orientation in angles to the grid as oppose to radius

thanks

dave

posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:13

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

madscientist wrote:
can I force plain track into a particular angle. Im trying to ensure that when I extend a transition curve ( Length) that the track is parallel to the Grid.

i.e. if I use <Curve> can I force orientation in angles to the grid as oppose to radius
Hi Dave,

That's not too clear. :?

If you want a transition curve easement to terminate in straight track parallel with the grid, put some straight track there as a dummy template, and then use the make transition functions on it. See:

http://templot.com/martweb/info_files/make_trans.htm

You can set the swing angle on a template: geometry > swing angles (in degrees)... menu item.

You can locate a template at any desired position and angle on the grid, by setting the notch there, and then pegging onto it: geometry > notch > set notch position and angle... menu item.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:37

madscientist

when I make a curve, and I want to produce an exact 90 degree bend for example how do I know

ps should there be a transition curve from straight to curve to follow prototype

posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:38

madscientist

sorry I see what you mean

posted: 1 Apr 2015 21:47

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
when I make a curve, and I want to produce an exact 90 degree bend for example how do I know

ps should there be a transition curve from straight to curve to follow prototype
Hi Dave,

Yes, especially if it is a sharp curve, an easement is always preferable.

You need two templates, one to ease into the curve, and one back out.

Set the swing to 45 degrees, and then make mirror on peg to create a 90-degree curve with easements at each end. If that's not clear I will make you a bit of video.

p.s. you seem to be thinking in a CAD mindset? Real railways don't make exact 90-degree bends. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Apr 2015 22:54

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:

Hi Dave,

Yes, especially if it is a sharp curve, an easement is always preferable.

You need two templates, one to ease into the curve, and one back out.

Set the swing to 45 degrees, and then make mirror on peg to create a 90-degree curve with easements at each end. If that's not clear I will make you a bit of video.

p.s. you seem to be thinking in a CAD mindset? Real railways don't make exact 90-degree bends. :)

regards,

Martin.

sure sure , but I'm building a model railway, not network rails next project !!

a video would be nice, re easement - thanks

posted: 1 Apr 2015 23:00

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
You may have hit the nail on the head as to why some folks just can't get on with Templot.

You do need to put yourself in the position of a p.w. engineer building a real railway, not someone assembling a model railway. For that you need a program such as AnyRail or XTrackCad instead.

I will make a bit of video shortly.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Apr 2015 23:08

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
madscientist wrote:
You may have hit the nail on the head as to why some folks just can't get on with Templot.

You do need to put yourself in the position of a p.w. engineer building a real railway, not someone assembling a model railway. For that you need a program such as AnyRail or XTrackCad instead.

I will make a bit of video shortly.

regards,

Martin.

Thats a bit harsh, actually I'm getting on great with Templot, and have now done all the combinations i need in the " real" layout . from reading around actually most uses dont use Templot to plan the layout but in fact use it to just print " templates"

i do the design up in Trax3 first anyway to do rough sizing , the correlation between it and templot isn't bad

at the end of the day I have to solder track that has to fit on a baseboard, that means it goes around 90 degree bends , even if Network Rail frowns on me .

re the video , I just saw an old one , that creates an easement , then swings in 45 degrees then mirrors it.

Dave
Last edited on 1 Apr 2015 23:09 by madscientist
posted: 2 Apr 2015 00:05

Martin Wynne

Sorry Dave, I didn't intend it to be harsh. It's just that if you look at the trackplans which users post here, you won't find many with exact 90-degree curves.

Yes, I do remember making that video -- for a garden railway I think it was? Here's the link:

http://templot.com/martweb/videos/scruffs/curly_corner.exe

Like so many of them it is well out of date. It's time I made a new one.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > quick question re plain track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020