topic: 2672Partial Templates - Storing Permanently
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Apr 2015 09:05

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This was going to be a, "I wish it would.... However, past experience has shown that it usually does and I don't know how to.
If I create a turnout or slip from partial templates is there anyway to keep the assembly together until I decide to separate them.
I know I can group them but if I forget it can mean rebuilding quite a bit of work.
Godders

posted: 14 Apr 2015 11:50

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
This was going to be a, "I wish it would.... However, past experience has shown that it usually does and I don't know how to.
If I create a turnout or slip from partial templates is there anyway to keep the assembly together until I decide to separate them.
I know I can group them but if I forget it can mean rebuilding quite a bit of work.
Hi Godders,

There isn't any mechanism actually to glue templates together into a single entity (as you can combine items on the sketchboard for example).

I have looked at this several times but the ramifications quickly get horrendous -- just consider for example the number of possible peg positions in a combined template consisting of a dozen normal ones. In practice before you could do almost anything with such a combined template you would need to break it apart, defeating the object of combining them in the first place.

What you can do however is to give the group templates a prefix tag. Then you can re-create the group easily at any time, to perform all the usual group functions to move and align the grouped templates:

2_140646_560000000.png2_140646_560000000.png

Info about prefix tags here:

topic 2098

It is still down to you to remember not to modify one of the templates inadvertently, but the prefix tag will be showing on its name as a reminder.

One advantage of tagging over combining is that a template can have multiple tags, allowing you to re-create groups in different combinations for different purposes. 

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Apr 2015 13:27

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin, I am going to play about with your suggestions and see what I can come up with.

Cheers

Godders

posted: 14 Apr 2015 13:52

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Godders,

Don't forget that you can save group to save your slip or tandem or whatever it is in its own .box file. Then should you inadvertently damage it, you can easily delete it and add the original back from the file.

You can add file as many .box files onto the trackpad as you wish.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Apr 2015 16:40

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I beat you to it this time and yes that is useful. I would have answered you earlier but I was outside abusing the sunshine and couldn't see the iphone in the bright light.

Well somebody has to.

Cheers

Godders
Last edited on 14 Apr 2015 16:41 by Godfrey Earnshaw

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Partial Templates - Storing Permanently
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020