John Hawtin

Droitwich Spa - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
[size=Hi!]

[size= ]

[size=It’s all a question of image!]

[size=I’ve trawled through the forum and haven’t found an answer so I apologise in advance if I have missed something and are covering old ground.]

[size=The ‘National Library of Scotland’ (NLS), which, if I recall, Martin has spoken about in the past, have a huge archive of old maps, mostly of Scotland but also of England, which you can view free of charge on line, marvellous for railway enthusiasts, historians and modellers.]

[size=As well as being able to view on line, they offer a copy service whereby you can purchase full size scanned image on paper or as a digitised file on CD or DVD, the latter being ideal to import into Templot as a background image on which to overlay track. However because the original has been scanned they can only offer the digitised version as a tagged image file not as a JPEG or BITMAP. Am I correct in thinking that Templot will not accept a TIF file for a background picture import? If so, would it be acceptable to convert the TIF file (raster graphics) to a format that Templot will accept, and how best to do this?]

[size= ]NSL supply high resolution images, their standard being 1:1 at 400dpi, although they can supply at any resolution required. I’m looking at the Worcester triangle and running shed on 50” OS maps which they can supply. Am I being too optimistic? Or is there a way to get these into Templot without losing detail or clarity?

[size= ]

[size=Regards]

[size= ]

[size=John Hawtin]

[size= ]

posted: 7 May 2015 12:38

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

Templot doesn't have an import for TIFF files, but it can import PNG, GIF, JPG, BMP image files.

There are lots of programs which can convert a TIFF file to one of those formats. For example Microsoft Paint which is already on your system. Just type Paint in the Windows search box to find it.

Open the TIFF file in Paint, and then immediately Save it again in one of the above formats. To retain the crisp detail, the PNG format is best.

(Don't use BMP because the file size will be enormous from a hi-res TIFF scan and may crash you system.)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2015 13:04

John Hawtin

Droitwich Spa - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Many thanks for the prompt reply I can now go ahead and order the maps.
What went wrong with my posting, where did the Size= and brackets come from?

Regards

John

posted: 7 May 2015 14:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

John Hawtin wrote:
What went wrong with my posting, where did the Size= and brackets come from?
Hi John,

You maybe copied and pasted from somewhere else, perhaps Word? :)

If you want to prepare text offline, it is better to use a plain text editor, such as Windows Notepad.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Importing image files
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020