author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Jul 2015 21:28

Chris Copplestone

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides

Hi Martin,  why not turn point 9 at

topic 2720 - message 18886

the new Templot Companion web site and A-Z index, into a Wiki and allow registered volunteers to add to it by copying and editing or linking all the data in points 1 - 8? Then all you need to do is check/edit that the information has been entered correctly and to ensure that a standard style, set by you, is being used.

Regards
Chris C

Thanks Chris.

I have now set up a Wiki for Templot, see for details:

topic 2722 - message 18932

regards,

Martin.

posted: 4 Jul 2015 14:02

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Chris Copplestone wrote:
why not turn point 9,  the new Templot Companion web site and A-Z index, into a WiKi and allow registered volunteers to add to it by copying and editing or linking all the data in points 1 - 8? Then all you need to do is check/edit that the information has been entered correctly and to ensure that a standard style, set by you, is being used.
Hi Chris,

Thanks for that. But "all you need to do" sounds like a major task and possibly more time-consuming than writing it myself. :)

I appreciate that some users may want to help, but I'm wary of that because there is a real risk of some hurt feelings (we have been there before). If it's part of the "official" Templot docs I must have some editorial control to ensure that information is up to date and correct, and not misleading or unnecessarily complicated. That could mean someone spending a lot of time creating something, only to have me edit or re-write large chunks of it. I really don't want to be put in that position.

Also of course I'm intending that most of it will be in FBR format, so simply editing and updating the existing pages may result in some duplication and discrepancies between the two.

But any member is welcome to create any tutorial or guide and post it here on Templot Club, and I'm happy to link to it from the Templot Companion.

If there is a desire for a users own Wiki separate from the Templot Companion I would be happy to provide the hosting for it on the web site.

edit: Templot Wiki now set up at:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki/

regards,

Martin.

posted: 5 Jul 2015 13:34

Brian Nicholls

Poole - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

First let me say that I am very appreciative of your Templot Club Forum. :thumb::thumb:

It is the first item I view when I first switch on my PC and connect to the internet, and the last thing just before I turn the PC off and go to bed.

It has given me great pleasure and substantially increased my knowledge base over the years.
However, to the point.

This is an idea I have had for several months now, but in that time, I have been heavily committed with LNWR society work preparing drawings for articles in the society journals.

Ever since you issued Templot2 (and before), you have been answering queries on the forum, particularly to beginners and new users. Your responses have been very detailed indeed, and in just about every case solved the  issue at hand.

Now my idea is, to carefully go through all your postings with those detailed explanations relating to Templot2, and collate them into a document that could be turned into either (or both) a PDF doc, and or an HTML web page(or pages) that is easily accessible.

I think doing this would give a beginner (and new user) also in some cases more experienced users all the information they need to get on with developing a track plan in Templot and to save burdening you with queries.
It will most likely answer all the usual questions you see appearing frequently on the club forum.

I would like to try and achieve this collation, and it will undoubtedly take some time, and I have to advise you that I am (in priority) committed to considerable LNWR society activities.

All the best,

Brian

posted: 5 Jul 2015 13:58

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                  As a linux user I can use Templot in its present form with wine ok. However if it would make things a lot easier for you, I believe Linux users could always run a Windows OS via VirtualBox or similar to use Templot..There are nearly always  alternative options available for Linux users to make use of software for windows programs.

If you could provide a way for members to do links to the Templot Companion we could all make them which would surely fill the empty spaces.However if you felt that would mess Companion up perhaps being able to do the same on a separate wiki as suggested previously could provide a way forward. If satisfactory it could eventually become the Templot Companion. Or alternately run them in tandem where you could delete or transfer as and when suitable from wiki to the Companion.
Regards
Trevor :)

posted: 5 Jul 2015 23:01

Martin Wynne

Trevor Walling wrote:
If you could provide a way for members to do links to the Templot Companion we could all make them which would surely fill the empty spaces. However if you felt that would mess Companion up perhaps being able to do the same on a separate wiki as suggested previously could provide a way forward.
Hi Trevor,

I've no idea how this is going to work, but I have set up a Templot wiki at:

As a trial page I have created a copy of the incomplete program notes for adjusting check rail ends:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki/index.php?title=Check_rails_and_wing_rails

Which anyone can edit or add to.

I have linked this page into the Templot Companion at:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?check_and_wing_rails.htm

(You may need to press F5 in your browser to see it. It may take a second or two to appear.)

Any changes you make on the wiki page will appear in the Companion when you press F5 on there.

You can also edit it directly from within the Companion if you are logged in to the wiki.

You can also create new wiki pages. The easiest way to do that is to search for a non-existent page, which you will then get the option to create. If you create a new wiki page you will need to post a message about it here so that I can create a new entry in the Companion for it.

Let's see how it works out. Over to you. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 6 Jul 2015 18:21

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                   This should be interesting as I for one am a novice at doing stuff to or on a wikki.
Being only a user of such things this will be a new experience for me :D
Come on fellow Templot Club members lets get stuck in.
                        Perhaps you could start removing stuff discretely that is no longer relevant or correct for Templot now Martin. If it is no longer used or relevant will anyone miss it?
Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 7 Jul 2015 15:40

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello.
        I have made a few inputs and hope my fumbling around doesn't bring chaos and mayhem to the Templot site. Is it the sort of thing you had in mind? I have a thick skin as well by the way so please be frank.
Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 7 Jul 2015 16:29

Martin Wynne

Trevor Walling wrote:
I have made a few inputs and hope my fumbling around doesn't bring chaos and mayhem to the Templot site. Is it the sort of thing you had in mind?
Thanks Trevor, that's great! :)

Those new notes refer to the second diagram, so ideally they would go directly below it.

Also the green boxes are intended to be "Handy Hints" rather than definitive explanation. I think those notes would be better as plain text.

I will let you do that. If you get stuck just ask. Don't forget it's a wiki, so if you mess up it's dead easy to return to the previous version. :)

Getting the information in place is more important than making it look pretty.

It's handy to include a link to the Wiki pages when posting messages here. For those who don't know, we are talking about this page:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki/index.php?title=Check_rails_and_wing_rails

Just to add that everything on the Templot Wiki is self-contained on the Templot web site -- you are not linked to anywhere else on the web when using the Templot Wiki.

I installed the same software as on the well-known Wikipedia web site so that anyone familiar with that site will find the Templot Wiki easy to use. But there is no link or connection to Wikipedia, despite appearances.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Jul 2015 10:34

Martin Wynne

I have restarted the Wiki.

Please note that the link has changed to:

It now requires that all user accounts are set up by me. This is to prevent spamming by unauthorised visitors -- see my previous message.

Unfortunately this means that if you previously created a wiki account you will have to start again as below, sorry about that.

If you would like to add content to the Templot Wiki (please do :) ):

1. first make sure your email address on Templot Club is correct and working. See it at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/my_account.php?edit_profile=1

2. post a message here saying you would like a wiki account.

3. I will create a wiki user account for you, using your same user name as here on
    Templot Club.

4. you will receive two emails:

a. an email from me with your user name and password for the wiki.

b. an email from the system containing a link which you can click to confirm your
        email address. This is optional, but allows you to request a new password if
        you ever forget it.

5. go to:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin

and log in to the wiki using the user name and password supplied.

6. if you wish you will then be able to change the password to whatever you would prefer.

The wiki software insists that your user name begins with a capital letter. If your user name on Templot Club doesn't do that, make a note of the capitalized user name shown in your email, and use that for the wiki. I'm sorry about that, it seems to be an established feature of the MediaWiki software and not easy to change.

Your login to the Templot Wiki is entirely separate from your login here on Templot Club, you can have different passwords for each.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Jul 2015 10:59

Charles Orr

Leicester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Please set up a Wiki account for me.

Many thanks,

Charles

posted: 9 Jul 2015 12:53

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Martin,
                 Could you include me please?
Thank You.
Trevor :)

posted: 9 Jul 2015 22:11

Martin Wynne

Dear all,

If you feel you know enough about Templot to do so and you would like to help me create the new Templot Companion user manual for other users, you may like to contribute something on the new Templot Wiki web site.

A wiki is a web site which allows anyone to create web pages, write notes, upload screenshots and diagrams etc. And allows anyone else to amend or add to them at any time. In this way a useful knowledge resource can be built up.

Your contribution can be as much or as little as you wish -- correcting a spelling mistake; updating some text from the old Templot Companion; creating a screenshot to explain something; writing a 50,000 word article. :)

Pages on the wiki can then be linked into the new Templot Companion and indexed in the A-Z Index on there so that they can easily be found by everyone.

The Templot Wiki is at:

and there is a link near the top right on every page of Templot Club.

To illustrate how it works, a first trial page from the wiki is in the Templot Companion at:

Which you could edit or add to.

(You may need to press F5 in your browser to see it. It may take a second or two to appear.)

Any changes you make on the wiki page will appear in the Companion when you press F5 on there.

You can also create new wiki pages. The easiest way to do that is to search for a non-existent page, which you will then get the option to create. If you create a new wiki page you will need to post a message about it here so that I can create a new entry in the Companion for it.

But before you can do any of that you need to join the wiki web site, with a user account which must be set up by me. This is to prevent spamming by unauthorised visitors.

If you would like to join the Templot Wiki, please do this:

1. first make sure your email address on Templot Club is correct and working. See it at:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/my_account.php?edit_profile=1

2. post a message here saying you would like a wiki account.

3. I will create a wiki user account for you, using your same user name as here on
    Templot Club.

4. you will receive two emails:

a. an email from me with your user name and password for the wiki.

b. an email from the system containing a link which you can click to confirm your
        email address. This is optional, but allows you to request a new password if
        you ever forget it.

5. go to:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki/index.php?title=Special:UserLogin

and log in to the wiki using the user name and password supplied.

6. if you wish you will then be able to change the password to whatever you would prefer.

The wiki software insists that your user name begins with a capital letter. If your user name on Templot Club doesn't do that, make a note of the capitalized user name shown in your email, and use that for the wiki. I'm sorry about that, it seems to be an established feature of the MediaWiki software and not easy to change.

Your login to the Templot Wiki is entirely separate from your login here on Templot Club, you can have different passwords for each.

I've no idea how well this is going to work, but it's clear that left to me alone the Templot Companion is going to take years to update and become a proper user manual for Templot2. So all help gratefully received. :)

Many thanks,

Martin.

posted: 11 Jul 2015 22:42

Martin Wynne

I have now added a topic on the Templot Companion explaining how to create pages on the Templot Wiki, and write them to match the Templot Companion styles. See:

http://templot.com/companion/index.html?editing_wiki_pages.htm

The full user guide for MediaWiki is at:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Contents#For_editors

Thanks for your contributions. :)

The Templot Wiki is at:  http://templot.com/templot_wiki/

and there is a link near the top right on every page of Templot Club.

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2015 12:08

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
If you feel you know enough about Templot to do so and you would like to help me create the new Templot Companion user manual for other users, you may like to contribute something on the new Templot Wiki web site.

A wiki is a web site which allows anyone to create web pages, write notes, upload screenshots and diagrams etc. And allows anyone else to amend or add to them at any time. In this way a useful knowledge resource can be built up.

Your contribution can be as much or as little as you wish -- correcting a spelling mistake; updating some text from the old Templot Companion; creating a screenshot to explain something; writing a 50,000 word article. :)

Pages on the wiki can then be linked into the new Templot Companion and indexed in the A-Z Index on there so that they can easily be found by everyone.

The Templot Wiki is at:

Now 3 months on, and only 2 members have asked for access, and only 1 member has added anything.

I have today received a notification of a security update for the Wiki software, which is going to mean quite a lot of maintenance work to install it. I am not minded to maintain the Wiki on top of running this forum, developing Templot, writing docs, making videos, etc., if it is going to be so little used.

So I'm intending to scrap the Templot Wiki unless someone can convince me otherwise? It was worth a try, but clearly isn't wanted.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2015 23:23

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Martin
When would you need to decide to keep or delete?

It is very easy to give incorrect information, no matter how well meaning and I think that might be why people are generally reluctant to write any 'original' material; it is in my case.

I think it fair to say that 99 out of 100 times any question has already been asked at some point in the past and it is just a case of finding that question and answer- search boxes are often useless as you don't know what to type in.

If it is a case of looking at existing things on the internet and then re-formatting it and adding it in a wiki page then I think it could be a big benefit, especially for newcomers.

Taking an example of switch blades: what is it, what do they look like, how do you make them in Templot and then even how do you make them in model form- each one with a link to its 'parent' as with wikipedia.

Surely each of us that has benefited from help has a moral duty to then pass it onto the next new starter. This method means that all of us can contribute regardless of our skill level, from verbatim extracts of existing work to developing our own tutorials etc.

If everyone was to agree to put on even one or two items per week (not a big ask) then it would soon grow.

posted: 17 Oct 2015 23:31

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

PS some time back you showed me a way to use very odd template designs so that I could use parts of it to help design a jig. It made it much easier and the two people I have described it to since have agreed.

But again this is an example of information that is available IF you know WHERE to look (and you obviously won't be deliberately looking for it- so unless you happen to stumble on it you're never going to know it)

posted: 18 Oct 2015 00:21

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
When would you need to decide to keep or delete?
Hi Derek,

There is no urgency, but having been advised that the existing code contains security flaws, obviously I don't want to leave it as it is for too long. We do have the big advantage over most public wikis that only user accounts set up by me can access it to post anything. So unless some of us here are secret web site hackers, the risk is fairly low. :)

I also have the 4-SF Wiki to maintain, so I can't wash my hands of the software entirely. I wouldn't want to delete that one while it provides background information for the everlasting 4-SF argy-bargy on RMweb. 

It is very easy to give incorrect information, no matter how well meaning and I think that might be why people are generally reluctant to write any 'original' material; it is in my case.
This is the great advantage of the wiki format, in that anyone can correct or update anyone else's work, so that the accumulation of knowledge becomes a collaborative effort. With the fallback that the wiki software keeps a record of all changes, and can easily be rolled back if someone posts obvious nonsense or deletes valuable content. 

I think it fair to say that 99 out of 100 times any question has already been asked at some point in the past and it is just a case of finding that question and answer - search boxes are often useless as you don't know what to type in.
This is where a comprehensive A-Z Index is much more useful than a search, but it does require a human brain to create it. Unlike searching, which is automatic once the text exists. As you know an important part of the new Templot Companion is the A-Z Index, and because the wiki pages will be embedded in it, the single index will serve for both. A feature of the Templot Companion index is that it is itself searchable. See for example the one and only such embedded wiki page so far:

PS some time back you showed me a way to use very odd template designs so that I could use parts of it to help design a jig. It made it much easier and the two people I have described it to since have agreed.

But again this is an example of information that is available IF you know WHERE to look (and you obviously won't be deliberately looking for it - so unless you happen to stumble on it you're never going to know it)
I don't know the answer to this. Often such replies are made quickly in the context of an ongoing discussion, and don't make much sense as a stand-alone topic without a lot of additional preamble and explanation. But again this is where a wiki can help -- one person could simply copy and paste the content, leaving it to someone else to top and tail it with some context or additional material, perhaps weeks or months later. Getting it recorded and indexed is the priority.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 19 Oct 2015 00:00

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Martin
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my rambling.
I have tried looking at the link above but it seems to think I am looking on an Android 'phone and won't let me see anything.

The odd template 'trick' was using a 9ft straight switch with a 1:24 vee to give me my line to make a jig for setting the set. Something simple but very helpful and far more accurate (and quicker) than drawing it with a ruler. Likewise a similar simple trick of printing just the closure rail, wing and making the wing rail long (with no taper) as a better guide for bending the knuckle; I bet there's dozens of similar things that can be done like that- and unless one is lucky enough to stumble across it in a discussion...

Perhaps if you could set me up as a wiki user and let me make a couple of pages and see if they fit with your vision of what would be useful; they can then be expanded or deleted as appropriate.

Derek
Last edited on 19 Oct 2015 00:03 by DerekStuart
posted: 19 Oct 2015 00:30

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
I have tried looking at the link above but it seems to think I am looking on an Android 'phone and won't let me see anything.
Hi Derek,

Are you saying you can't see the Templot Companion at all, or the embedded wiki page?

Perhaps if you could set me up as a wiki user and let me make a couple of pages and see if they fit with your vision of what would be useful; they can then be expanded or deleted as appropriate.
Done. :)

Thanks for joining. You should have received 2 emails, one from me with your initial password, and one from the system. Let me know if any problems. More info about using the wiki is in previous posts to this topic, and on the wiki front page at:

http://templot.com/templot_wiki

regards,

Martin.

posted: 21 Oct 2015 00:25

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin

I am learning how the wiki software works on wikipedia as it has something called a 'sandbox' and I can't much it up. Apparently.

posted: 22 Oct 2015 12:01

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
One thing- is there any way to change the basic font? Up to you of course, but I think it's a bit big and bold and harder to read (at least on my screen).
Hi Derek,

It seems fine to me. Admittedly my eyes are 67 years old, yours may be younger. :)

Here is the Templot Wiki showing on my tablet computer -- which is where I assume most users will view the Templot Companion. The font size compares with the system's own fonts (bottom left).

Of course the user can always zoom it up or down as preferred, and the browser will remember the zoom setting for any page when returning to it (or at least, Firefox does).

2_220647_300000000.jpg2_220647_300000000.jpg

What do others think?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 22 Oct 2015 14:38

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Martin

That looks fine there. Where you have the sub heading, that is coming out about the same size and emphasis as the plain text on my computer, hence my comment (win 8 laptop, chrome).

I will try it on the desktop using explorer later on and report back; I wonder if it might just be something set funny on my laptop.

EDIT: It looks fine on Firefox on my laptop.
Last edited on 22 Oct 2015 14:49 by DerekStuart
posted: 2 Nov 2015 14:56

Martin Wynne

In view of the very limited response and the work involved in maintaining the wiki software, I have now deleted the Templot Wiki.

Like all CMS systems it was risky on the server and was receiving vastly more hits than its usefulness could possibly justify -- a hundred times more than the rest of the Templot web site combined. 99% of them malicious, looking for ways to hack into it.

Many thanks to those who contributed. I have saved all the content, which is temporarily available here:

http://templot.com/old_wiki/

and I will incorporate it into the Templot Companion in due course.

If you wish to contribute to the Templot Companion in other ways, please do. The simplest way would be to post topics here on Templot Club in the Tips and tutorials section:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_forum.php?id=19

which I can then link into the Companion.

Thanks again for the wiki contributions. :)

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Admin -- new Templot Wiki
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020