Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just created a diamond crossing by two different methods:
1. By placing two lengths of straight track at 1:7 and
using P peg/align tools > D Make crossing at intersection
2. By Ctrl+I; insert a turnout in plain track, Size F5; 1:7, template convert turnout to half-diamond, tools - make diamond crossing
Method 1. brings up a warning box about an irregular diamond and the need to use a curviform V-crossing.
Method 2. doesn't
I am bewildered by this as nominally everything is formed from straight track, particularly the Method 1.
What am I missing as I believe the regular V-crossing is the correct one.
Godders (Bewildered of Crawley)

posted: 14 Sep 2015 11:32

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Bewildered of Crawley,

Please could you post the box file?

There is a bug in 211b relating to the messages displayed on this (not the actual track). I remember fixing this for the next program update (should be available soon), although due to brain-failure I can't recall the full details at this moment. :?

Templot uses 2 different methods to create irregular diamond-crossings, according to the circumstances of their creation. There are fractional differences between them (calculated using the track centre-lines the K-crossing angles are identical; calculated using the rails the K-crossing angles differ fractionally).

However for straight regular diamonds, the results should be the same for both methods.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 11:39

wcampbell23

Hamilton, Scotland - United Kingdom

Hi Godfrey

I have just tried both methods and both work fine with no warnings.

Are you sure that your track for method 1 is actually straight?

If you click on the Geometry menu the first item "straight" should have a black dot to its left indicating that the track is defined as straight. If you have "straightened" a curve using F6 then what appears to be straight has a very large radius.

Regards.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 14:21

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Bewildered of Crawley,

Please could you post the box file?

There is a bug in 211b relating to the messages displayed on this (not the actual track). I remember fixing this for the next program update (should be available soon), although due to brain-failure I can't recall the full details at this moment. :?

Templot uses 2 different methods to create irregular diamond-crossings, according to the circumstances of their creation. There are fractional differences between them (calculated using the track centre-lines the K-crossing angles identical; calculated using the rails the K-crossing angles differ fractionally).

However for straight regular diamonds, the results should be the same for both methods.

regards,

Martin.
Box file attached
Attachment: attach_2155_2743_Diamond_Test_P4_2015_09_14_1419_56.box     225

posted: 14 Sep 2015 16:23

Martin Wynne

Hi Godfrey,

Thanks for the file.

I have now remembered the bug. :)

In 211b the make diamond-crossing function sets the V-crossings as "curviform" even when both are the same angle (straight or same radius in both tracks), in which case they should be "regular".

This doesn't make any difference to the diamond-crossing itself, but does bring up warning messages when you try to make a crossover, say, from them.

It has been fixed in the next program update. In the meantime the workaround is to change the half-diamonds to real > V-crossing options > regular V-crossing if the diamond-crossing is regular (both roads straight or both curved to the same radius in the same direction) before making a crossover from them.

Thanks for reporting it.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Sep 2015 16:24

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

No Problem Martin
However, I've just had a thought, if it brought up a message for me why not for Mr/Ms wcampbell23?

cheers Godders
Last edited on 14 Sep 2015 16:28 by Godfrey Earnshaw
posted: 14 Sep 2015 16:35

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
Whilst I'm finding errors, by accident, maybe you should look at the following:
Real>Switch settings
The yellow "restore/esc" button does not work with a mouse click.
It's quite clear that this software is absolutely bug-ridden, have you considered working for one of the big software houses.

Hahahahaha
Cheers Godders

posted: 14 Sep 2015 18:08

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Real>Switch settings
The yellow "restore/esc" button does not work with a mouse click.
Hi Godders,

It's working ok for me. :?

After selecting some other switch, the button restores the one you started with.

This allows you to check the details of other switches, by selecting them and then clicking the show switch info button, without changing the current switch.

It's quite clear that this software is absolutely bug-ridden, have you considered working for one of the big software houses.
I rang Adobe Systems Incorporated, but they didn't seem to know anything about dead frogs.

Martin.

posted: 23 Sep 2015 10:09

gsmorris

no just bad apples flashing away!

posted: 26 Oct 2015 19:06

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

deleted
Last edited on 26 Oct 2015 19:59 by Martin Wynne
posted: 26 Oct 2015 19:16

Martin Wynne

Hi Derek,

Godders was speaking tongue-in-cheek. He is an active and valued member of Templot Club. If you click his name on the left, then View Profile then the Messages button you will see what I mean.  :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 19:48

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Then I apologise to Godders un-reservedly. And to you.

I think this shows I spend too much time at 'the other place' with all its negativity.

If you wanted to delete my comment to save me looking like a complete *** I would not hold it against you.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 20:20

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
I think this shows I spend too much time at 'the other place' with all its negativity.
Hi Derek,

I have deleted the content of your message, and also removed it from the Yahoo archive. Unfortunately there is no way I can retrieve the emails which have gone to members. :)

I assume by "the other place" you mean RMweb:

http://rmweb.co.uk/community/

Many complain about negativity on there, but I rarely see it, just lively discussion. I often notice complaints about members and posts, and remain mystified as to what is the problem. With thousands of members you can hardly expect everyone to agree with everyone else. "Your post is the raving of a lunatic" is good food for the brain. "I agree with everything you say" moves no-one a single step forward.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 20:33

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Thanks Martin.

With regards to 'the other place', it only needs one person in a thread constantly writing "I disagree with you and you have no right to your own opinion" to cause an issue.

There are people whom I very much disagree with on several things, but I can respect them nonetheless.

I think it is a case of choosing carefully which threads to be involved in. I do try hard to avoid the contentious ones these days, but it's a hard habit to drop.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 20:57

Martin Wynne

DerekStuart wrote:
I think it is a case of choosing carefully which threads to be involved in. I do try hard to avoid the contentious ones these days, but it's a hard habit to drop.
Hi Derek,

Get yourself a toy popgun and fire it at the screen when the need arises. I have one just like this:
220018-300x300.jpg220018-300x300.jpg
I also keep a wooden spoon handy which I bang really hard on the desk at times. :)

Martin.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 21:41

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Derek,

I didn't see your comment, I am disappointed, I wanted something to be offended by.

Unfortunately I am not offended by anything much I love banter, I love argument but tend to reserve my arguments for people I consider to be worthy i.e they can see clearly and merely hold a different opinion to me.

If you have committed a sin then you will be punished by forces greater than mine with a plague of dry joints and wrongly shoved timbers.

May the Curviform vees be with you

Cheers Godders :thumb:

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:04

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
I didn't see your comment, I am disappointed, I wanted something to be offended by.
Hi Godders,

Derek was responding to your comment "It's quite clear that this software is absolutely bug-ridden, have you considered working for one of the big software houses."

Which wounded me to the heart at the time, but I have managed to struggle on. :)

Martin.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:14

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

You are a good sport.
A higher force sent to punish me?

Hmmm... you mean one that tells you after countless hours of designing a location with REA turnouts that you probably should have loose heeled "standard" turnouts instead?

THAT is punishment from a higher force.
As for vees- I normally give a couple of vees to certain posts in 'the other place' each day.
Derek

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
Hi Derek,

Unfortunately I am not offended by anything much I love banter, I love argument but tend to reserve my arguments for people I consider to be worthy i.e they can see clearly and merely hold a different opinion to me.

If you have committed a sin then you will be punished by forces greater than mine with a plague of dry joints and wrongly shoved timbers.

May the Curviform vees be with you

Cheers Godders :thumb:

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:15

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin
Yes, I realise he had said something presumably derogatory, so what's new i'm just sad I missed it.

As for you being wounded to the heart, well, life's tough get over it. and hone up your skills or you'll never get this application finished.

Seriously, Martin, I wish you wouldn't get upset about the manuals or instructions or whatever, just concentrate on doing the things you enjoy.

There is enough information to do everything if we look hard enough. Generally a lot of us are just being lazy. None of us will die if we don't get instant answers.

Cheers Godders

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:31

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

DerekStuart wrote:
You are a good sport.

Hmmm... you mean one that tells you after countless hours of designing a location with REA turnouts that you probably should have loose heeled "standard" turnouts instead?

As for vees- I normally give a couple of vees to certain posts in 'the other place' each day.
Derek

Derek 
I do see your point on "the other place" but you have to let it wash over you. I am a Yorkshireman with all the baggage that goes with, we don't bear fools easily.
When it comes to "the other place" I have long since stopped taking it seriously, there are some very skilled modellers on there but equally there are some members who are, to say the least, inadequate and with my attitude I easily offend them. The result is I very rarely respond these days and only read topics that I find may be of interest. It's not the way I would run it but it's not my site.
Derek, life is too short, I'm only sad that some people don't address their Templot questions to the Templot Forum.
Cheers Godders :cool:

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:44

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Godders,

I wouldn't say derogatory; merely defensive of Templot when I mis-understood the jovial nature of your comment.

I could not possibly remember the exact words, but it suggested that many other people like it and that keeping it on your computer was not compulsory under any law.

Whilst it is not my place to speak on behalf of the programme or the bloke who wrote it, like many people I derive a lot of interest and pleasure from its use and when there ARE derogatory comments made about it, I get annoyed.

As for your other comments to Martin, I agree completely.

posted: 26 Oct 2015 22:54

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

apologies for the double post, our posts clashed.
I DO like 'the other place' and I don't mean to imply otherwise. I've left it and gone back- the reality is that if you ask a question in google in many cases it's going to give you a link to a thread there.
As for Templot forum, one thing does bother me and that is I have had so much help and advice, usually from Martin but some others as well, and yet I don't really feel confident enough to pass advice on to others as so far I have either been wrong or at the very least not advised best practice. It feels like "take take take" all the time- which is one of the reasons I am so loyal to the programme.
I have tried to write a few wiki pages to help with background information- badly as it happens, but I shall re-write and carry on. I would just like to put something back after being given so much help.
As for being a Yorkshireman, nothing wrong with that. Yorkshire is the fabled land of Eden.
Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
DerekStuart wrote:
You are a good sport.

Derek

Derek 
I do see your point on "the other place" but you have to let it wash over you. I am a Yorkshireman with all the baggage that goes with, we don't bear fools easily.
When it comes to "the other place" I have long since stopped taking it seriously, there are some very skilled modellers on there but equally there are some members who are, to say the least, inadequate and with my attitude I easily offend them. The result is I very rarely respond these days and only read topics that I find may be of interest. It's not the way I would run it but it's not my site.
Derek, life is too short, I'm only sad that some people don't address their Templot questions to the Templot Forum.
Cheers Godders :cool:

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > V-crossings on Diamonds
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020