author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 Oct 2015 08:33

David Long

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin,

I tried to load the update this morning but my anti-virus program, Avast, blocked it as an infected file and I am now unable to access my files. Before I temporarily uninstall Avast to allow the upload can I be certain that the new version hasn't acquired any unpleasant add-ons?

Regards

David

posted: 7 Oct 2015 10:04

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

I use Bitdefender and the the new Templot installed without any problems at all and runs perfectly.  Some setting in Avast perhaps?
Raymond

posted: 7 Oct 2015 10:44

David Long

It's very odd. I have been running Avast on successive machines fro around five or six years but it has never so firmly blocked any updates previously.
David

posted: 7 Oct 2015 12:36

JFS

United Kingdom

David Long wrote:
It's very odd. I have been running Avast on successive machines fro around five or six years but it has never so firmly blocked any updates previously.
David
Hi David,

Perhaps not so odd really - unless you are not updating it, the Avast you are running now is vastly different from the one you were running five or six months ago, let alone 5 or 6 years ago!   I confess I have just about given up with it - constant nag pop-ups, strangulation of internet access and dozens of false positives - including in code I have written myself!

I suppose, something MIGHT have slipped into Templot, but I know where I am betting!

Best wishes,

Howard

Last edited on 7 Oct 2015 12:46 by JFS
posted: 7 Oct 2015 13:42

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

I have just now downloaded the file, and it is identical to the one I uploaded a few hours ago. I have also scanned it and found nothing wrong.

Surely Avast gives you an option to bypass or ignore its objections? If not I would change to an anti-virus program which does. :)

The download is much larger than previously because I have included 3 different embedded versions of the Templot Companion for testing. You can find them at help > experimental Companion formats > menu item. Note that there is as yet no more actual content than on the web site, it is the format I'm testing, not the content. I included Windows classic CHM purely for comparison, it is not a practical option because it won't launch the FBR video files directly, whereas the other two formats will.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Oct 2015 14:39

David Long

Thanks, Martin, but I've just tried it again and it is still blocking an infection called DRep. As I said previously I have not had any problem with Avast in the past and I have the latest iteration. It looks like I shall have to uninstall it in order to get Templot back.

David

posted: 7 Oct 2015 15:01

Martin Wynne

David Long wrote:
it is still blocking an infection called DRep.
Hi David,

That's not an infection. It is Avast thinking it knows better than you do, with its Domain Reputation feature. Other anti-virus programs are equally irritating:

"DomainRep is a new feature of Avast, so let me explain a bit. It blocks EXE files downloads if these conditions are *all* met:

1. The file is not prevalent enough, ie. not enough Avast users launched the file yet,
2. The domain is not prevalent enough, ie. not enough Avast users downloaded (any) EXE files from the domain yet,
3. The file is not signed or Avast does not trust the signature.

Once one of these conditions are not met anymore, Avast will stop flagging the download. In other words, just wait until more people try to download the file, or ask the originator to sign the file."

A digital signing certificate would cost me several hundred pounds per year, and it is not tenable for software which is provided free of charge.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 7 Oct 2015 15:14

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

I have now put a copy of the file on a different domain. Try downloading this:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/templot_212a_setup.exe

If that works, for exactly the same file, it illustrates just how daft the DomainRep idea really is.

p.s. If you had mentioned DRep in your first message, you would have saved me about an hours work in testing and checking things. :(

Martin.

posted: 7 Oct 2015 15:40

David Long

Thanks, Martin. That one worked although I had to override a Microsoft objection to it. Avast examined it but couldn't find a problem this time.
Apologies for not mentioning the DRep but I hadn't noticed it first time around I think in my frustration that it wouldn't work.

Regards

David

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Problem with loading 212a
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020