Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2772Can I get grid lines or background shapes to appear on the print map?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 3 Nov 2015 09:19

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I tend to use groups to print sections of track together, particularly where I have several parallel curves. Selecting the track is not an issue using groups, but by their nature they select the whole track piece that may extend several feet beyond the end of the baseboard I am working on.

It occurred to me that seeing the grid lines or background shapes on the print map would help considerably in choosing which pages to print. If I am building a corner unit, it could be 6' in each direction and I want to hold the position of each curve to each other, so have to print numerous sheets (typically 40-50 at a time). Knowing where the grid lines or background shapes were on the print map, would be a great help in choosing which pages to print.

I've tried printing just one track at a time, but when you have multiple levels on parallel tracks, you can find that once the pages are taped together the parallel track measurement can wander quite a bit over several feet. Taping all of them in one go overcomes that issue and ensures the tracks remain parallel to each other consistently as you can establish datum points along the curve.

The prints are used as templates for cutting the track bed as I prefer to have separate track beds for each line or pair to allow landscaping between lines below the track bed datum.

Anyone else come up against this issue or knowing Martin, there is an option somewhere in Templot that I have yet to find....:-)

posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:06

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Gordon,

Could you clarify what you mean by the print map? Do you mean the print pages preview page on the screen, or the printed page map on paper (printed when you click the print page map button on the pages dialog)?

At present the background shapes can be included on both, but you may need to click the output > output preview options > show background shapes menu option. Admittedly on the printed page map they are in thin faint lines which may be obscured by the page outlines and page numbers.

Likewise any sketchboard items can show on the screen preview (but not on the printed page map).

At present there is no option to include the grid lines directly on the preview, but you can achieve that by including the sketchboard trackplan item. On the sketchboard control panel, click the settings tab and tick the first box "include the sketchboard trackplan item".

This is the result of doing that on the print preview screen, the blue lines are the grid lines. (The hatched rectangle is a background shape, which could be anything you wish to add as a marker. The grey hatching shows the extent of the sketchboard page.)

2_030655_450000000.png2_030655_450000000.png

Notice also that with the sketchboard set to diagram mode, you get the solid infill to the tracks on the pages preview, making them more prominent.

But of all that only the background shape rectangle will appear on the printed page map.

Note that the background shapes functions include an option to add a target mark, which is intended for the sort of purpose you are asking about.

Sorry if I haven't understood your question, I will look at adding the grid lines proper to both the pages preview and the printed page map.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 12:29

Martin Wynne

p.s. Gordon,

Don't overlook the option of adding a bit of dummy track as a marker. Just because an odd bit of track appears on the printout doesn't mean you have to build it. :)

The advantage is that you have all the functions to curve and align it, peg it onto other templates, or onto the grid (via the notch), etc.

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 15:19

Gordon S

Thanks Martin. My latest layout plan is basically several parallel loops with a reverse curve allowing trains to run from a terminus out and back. This corner is where I'm working. The outer single lines are the return loop and are on a 1:100 gradient. The inner double track is at a constant height of 118mm above the datum.

This corner consists of three boards that I am working on as a unit, although each are independently removable.

I will be building three separate trackbeds, which are vertically independent, but I will need to maintain the track centres.

I use groups to highlight the track, but of course the ends of the track do not align themselves to the baseboard sizes (maybe I could do that?.....hmmm) so my trackbed templates have to be cut using the guidance lines Templot provides.

When I go to print, group I get a page that says there are 69 pages to cover all the selected group. but of course that goes way beyond the board or two that I might be working on. From this page, there is no way of knowing how those pages relate to the individual boards, hence my request to either see grid lines which I could relate to the boards, or better still being able to see the background shapes on the print summary page, so I can choose which pages to print.

Does that make sense?

I can't remember how to add the images...:-)

I've uploaded them to the gallery, but don't recall how to add them to this post.

479_031014_030000000.jpg479_031014_030000000.jpg

479_031014_040000001.jpg479_031014_040000001.jpg

posted: 3 Nov 2015 15:41

Gordon S

Haven't worked through the first solution yet as I have just got home, but adding a piece of dummy track is inspired.....:-)

posted: 3 Nov 2015 16:19

Gordon S

One other question. If I try to print the background shapes (baseboards) they come out on the print as a solid black shape. Tried everything that I know to change that so as just to get the outlines, but got nowhere.

Any ideas?

Many thanks.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 16:29

Martin Wynne

Hi Gordon,

That's a very old version of Templot you are using. :shock:

It is now 4 years since Templot2 was first released, and a new update was released only yesterday (213a):

http://templot.com/martweb/templot_upgrade.htm

In Templot2 the background shapes are shown on the print preview:

2_031123_430000000.png2_031123_430000000.png

and there are several new functions related to trackbed edges, cutting lines, etc. -- geometry > trackbed edges > trackbed intent > menu options.

Please everyone, always use the latest version of Templot, especially when asking for help. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 3 Nov 2015 16:39

Gordon S

Sorry Martin, you weren't supposed to see that...:-)

Your sins will always find you out....

I do have the very latest version as well on my C drive. 91C is on my D drive. Because I got so familiar with 91C, I tend to still use it purely for speed. Things like irregular diamonds etc are done on the latest version and then I save files in both. When I'm mapping out a new layout, I will do it on the old version and once it is 90% there, swap over to the new one.

Eventually I will be familiar with the new one, but some of us old un's can't keep up with the pace of change.

91C is like my comfy slippers....:-)

posted: 3 Nov 2015 17:12

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Eventually I will be familiar with the new one, but some of us old un's can't keep up with the pace of change.
What about me, I believe I am the same age as you! :)

Your solid black background shapes are probably because your printer driver doesn't support hatched brushes. That may be because it is an old printer, or maybe it is a Mac printer driver and Windows can't fully interface to it.

The problem should be fixed if you change to clear rectangles instead of hatched for the background shapes.

Unfortunately that is a bit tedious to do, as you need to do each background shape separately:

1. save a BGS file so that you can revert to hatched baseboards if you need to.

2. on the background shapes dialog, select a baseboard rectangle shape in the list.

3. change the style option from hatched to clear.

4. on the modify tab, click the change... button.

5. press ENTER 5 times (unless you want to change the dimensions).

6. repeat for each baseboard shape.

7. save a new BGS file with clear baseboards.

Sorry that is a bit tedious, I will see if I can find room for a "change style" button.

If that still doesn't fix the printer, on the modify tab, try clicking the break rectangle to 4 lines button. Which does what it says, converting each edge to a single line as a separate shape, but of course makes more trouble if you want to change the dimensions later.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Can I get grid lines or background shapes to appear on the print map?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020