Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This is copied from the 3D printing topic:

topic 2734 - message 19858

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
I think there must have been two varieties of L and R block chairs, one for each hand of turnout, but I could be entirely wrong.
Hi Andy,

I can't find any evidence for that in any chair drawings or the chair type-designations. See the drawings on this page and the notes at the bottom:

http://www.scalefour.org/downloads/gwrtracknotes/R1738.pdf

(my copy of this has "Amended 1957 ... Jun. 1961") at the bottom right).

The note makes clear that the L and R in the designation refer to each half side of a single switch. There is no reference to the hand of the entire switch. Indeed there is no need for any different chairs by the simple expedient of skewing the block chair on the timber. This is obviously acceptable practice (despite the slight loss of gauge-spread resistance) because it is done for the P slide chairs.

That page is for GWR and BR(W), but given the use of the same designations and the BR revision dates it seems likely that the BR REA designs are similar.

But here is a drawing of an REA left-hand A-switch:

2_230740_120000000.png2_230740_120000000.png

Which shows the P slide chairs skewed, and the block chairs square-on to the timber (with no designations on the chairs that they are for a left-hand switch only). :?

I can only assume this was an error on the original drawing, and that all subsequent drawings have copied the same original.

Note also in that drawing the wider S1J joint chairs on the first timber.

This photo shows on the right an REA block chair on a right-hand switch. I wouldn't want to swear in a court of law that it is skewed to the timber, but it certainly looks that way:

2_230721_050000001.jpg2_230721_050000001.jpg

This location is easily accessible, so I will go and have a closer look.

On the left a bolted half-chair is used to allow space for chairing the long check rail behind it (the actual reason for taking the photo :) ).

Here is a wider view. L1 bridge chairs on the left (on all 3 rails):

2_230721_050000000.jpg2_230721_050000000.jpg

regards,

Martin.

posted: 23 Jan 2016 20:16

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Hi Martin,

I think you are right. The chair in that shot does look as if it's skewed. If you are able to read the designation on the chair that should clinch it. Failing that take a birds-eye shot of the turnout with your drone :)

Also, there is a note at the bottom of R1738 that says the R and L chairs apply to both RH and LH switches.

Come to think of it would seem a bit silly to produce chairs for both hands of switches when a small amount of chair skew will work just as well.

Regards,
Andy

posted: 23 Jan 2016 20:19

Andrew Barrowman

USA

I think I just repeated what you said about R1738!

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > switch block chairs conundrum
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020