Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2833Adding a clearance line to a template
author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:01

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Martin very kindly put together this set of templates for me for an S curve through an underbridge beneath a pair of double track loops.

The line will have a half height retaining wall between the lower level line and double track upper level. Space is quite restricted and the minimum clearance is 30mm.

The box file is attached, but Martin has added a 'clearance line' 35mm from the track centre. This will be very useful for me, but I have no idea how he created it. I fairly sure it's not from 'trackbed width' so appears to come from another part of the software.

I've looked in all the normal nooks and crannies but can't find how to create this clearance line.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Gordon S
Attachment: attach_2221_2833_realigned_bridge_track.box     256

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:32

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
The box file is attached, but Martin has added a 'clearance line' 35mm from the track centre. This will be very useful for me, but I have no idea how he created it. I fairly sure it's not from 'trackbed width' so appears to come from another part of the software.
Hi Gordon,

It's not a built-in function, it needs some manual intervention. :)

By the way, it is not a fixed 35mm, it varies according to the curvature to allow for vehicle overhang.

This briefly is the recipe:

1. using the dummy vehicle set the required clearance. For this purpose I set 36.5 inches clearance each side of the default vehicle dimensions (9ft-3in wide) (111 inches). This makes a clearance on each side of 7ft-8in (92 inches) from the track centre-line (on straight track), matching the prototype minimum structure clearance.

2. run the dummy vehicle along the tracks, leaving a trail of dummy vehicle copies. Do this only on the constant radius sections, not within transition zones. Allow a bogie pin to run over a template boundary only if the radius is unchanged across the boundary onto the next template.

3. use the mouse action to adjust the adjacent track centres to align to the extent of the dummy vehicle copies. (This mouse action was introduced in 213a.)

4. do tools > make double-track to create a dummy track template along this line. For constant radius curves this is the clearance line.

5. if the curve includes transitions, do make transition on these dummy templates to create the final clearance line.

Which sounds complicated, but is really quite simple. :) I will make a bit of video shortly showing it, but it may take me an hour or two.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:33

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Hi Gordon,

It's a track center line. You can make it the control template and move it around etc. The template is set to display the center line only.

Andy

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:39

Andrew Barrowman

USA

See "Geometry, - Center Lines Only"

posted: posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:41

Gordon S

Thanks Martin, I'd looked everywhere...

It suddenly struck me as a very useful line when setting out the base of my retaining walls. In most cases it won't be anywhere nearly as critical as the skew bridge on ET, so perhaps Andrew's version may suffice. Just firing up 2.13 to take a look whilst my good lady is watching TV.

25 Jan 2016 21:41

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Ooops! Martin's post arrived while I was typing. Mind you, mine had to travel a third of the way round the World :)

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:44

Martin Wynne

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
Ooops! Martin's post arrived while I was typing. Mind you, mine had to travel a third of the way round the World :)
Mine travelled further -- the server is in Ohio. You are closer. :)

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:51

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Thanks Martin, I'd looked everywhere...
Hi Gordon,

This is where to find the mouse action:

2_251650_140000000.png2_251650_140000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 21:52

Gordon S

Tried Andrew's centre line, but of course that won't work where you want to use trackbed edges as it will recognise the centre line as double track and space out the trackbed edge accordingly.

I set the adjacent centre line at 35mm and then a trackbed width of 90mm. Instead on giving a 90mm width for a single track and a clearance line of 35mm, it just set the trackbed width at 125mm (90+25mm).

Of course if we had the option to set a trackbed width that stayed constant......:D

Whilst on the subject of trackbed width, Martin, when I'm using 2.13A as soon as you select MS or TS or trackbed width is kicks you back out to the 'trackbed edges' menu and you have to go back in again to do them one at a time.

Am I doing something wrong or is there a reason why you cannot set MS, TS and trackbed width all in one go before going back to the 'trackbed edges' drop down menu.
Last edited on 25 Jan 2016 21:53 by Gordon S
posted: 25 Jan 2016 22:00

Gordon S

Sorry Andrew, I misunderstood. I created a parallel track on 35mm centres and then showed the 2nd track as a centre line only. Using the geometry and adjust adjacent track is fine as far as I can see right now.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 22:06

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Am I doing something wrong or is there a reason why you cannot set MS, TS and trackbed width all in one go before going back to the 'trackbed edges' drop down menu.
Hi Gordon,

This applies to dozens of places in Templot. It's a damn nuisance.

Unfortunately it is hours of programming work to create full property-sheet dialogs, compared with a few minutes to create menu items. One day I will get Templot finished... :(

Also when originally coding Templot for Windows95, the bog-standard self-cancelling menus consumed far less system resources than full dialogs. Even so, Templot hogged practically the whole of Windows95 when running. That's no longer a problem in current Windows versions, but Templot is very old code in places.

p.s. don't muddle up the trackbed edges with dummy templates on the adjacent track centre-line. You will get in a complete muddle.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 22:13

Gordon S

Don't worry about it at all, Martin. Now I know that's the way it is, I can live with it.

Just printed out a template and it does what I want it to do. A dotted line at 35mm and the trackbed edges at 90mm. Many thanks to you and Andrew for a solution that will cover 99% of my needs.

You know me, I'm only a few mm away from being in a muddle at any time......:D:D

posted: 25 Jan 2016 22:21

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Of course if we had the option to set a trackbed width that stayed constant......:D
Hi Gordon,

It is constant -- for a single track.

You want it to vary according to the track centres setting, so that it stays a fixed width across double-track regardless of how far the two tracks are apart.

You are probably the only person on the planet who wants this. I can't understand the reason at all, it doesn't make sense to me. I would want the edge of the trackbed to be a fixed distance from the nearest rail, and that is what you currently get. I think most folks would want the same. :?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 Jan 2016 23:33

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Just printed out a template and it does what I want it to do. A dotted line at 35mm and the trackbed edges at 90mm
Hi Gordon,

Instead of a thin dotted line, you may like to try using the platforms function to represent retaining walls, say 18" wide. You then get a more prominent printout, and you can adjust the position of each end of the wall if you don't want the wall to run the full length of the template.

For 35mm spacing to the wall in 4-SF, set the "platform front edge spacing" to 80.7 inches (full-size). Set the "platform width" to 18 inches at both ends. This is the printed result, showing the "platform" retaining wall and the 90mm trackbed edge:

2_251840_580000000.png2_251840_580000000.png

Notice that this function uses a full settings dialog, and not menus: :)

2_251829_030000000.png2_251829_030000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Jan 2016 06:07

Gordon S

Martin Wynne wrote:
Gordon S wrote:
Hi Gordon,

It is constant -- for a single track.

You want it to vary according to the track centres setting, so that it stays a fixed width across double-track regardless of how far the two tracks are apart.

You are probably the only person on the planet who wants this. I can't understand the reason at all, it doesn't make sense to me. I would want the edge of the trackbed to be a fixed distance from the nearest rail, and that is what you currently get. I think most folks would want the same. :?

regards,

Martin.

Sorry, Martin, it was just my sense of humour, hence the grinning face...

As I explained, I was coming from a carpentry perspective and not a permanent way one. Not a problem at all.

Thanks for the pics re platform settings. That will be very useful...

Gordon
Last edited on 26 Jan 2016 06:09 by Gordon S

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Adding a clearance line to a template
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020