Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 2877Pre-grouping check rails with curly ends - new flare type?
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 May 2016 19:51

Andy B

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Having got back to using Templot over the past couple of months, I have to start this request by saying just what a great tool it is now, and thought I wouldn't find anything it couldn't do.
But now, maybe I have....

Here is an extract from a Midland Railway PW Engineer's drawing:

undefinedundefined606_191437_380000000.jpg606_191437_380000000.jpg

The wing rails have a set and then finish with radius or 18".
The check rails opposite (adjacent to the stock rails) have a similar arrangement, but the end radius is larger.
Is this reasonable to add as a third flare type to the 'adjust check rail end or wing rail end' dialog?

Regards,
Andy

Last edited on 21 May 2016 06:14 by Andy B
posted: 19 May 2016 20:11

Andy B

Martin,

P.S.1 - My title is a bit misleading, and maybe should have read 'New check rail flare type' or similar. Please feel free to change it.

P.S.2 - I'd be happy to upload a selection of complete MR P-W drawings for others to reference. But as they are 3-4MB each, I wanted to check that the size is OK and where I should put them.

Andy

posted: 22 May 2016 04:24

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Sorry for the tangential question, but how wide is the timber under the 4C chair? Is it 15 inches?

posted: 22 May 2016 06:37

Andy B

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
Sorry for the tangential question, but how wide is the timber under the 4C chair? Is it 15 inches?
Do you mean the one that is marked 14" X 7" (just above the '4.C.4')?? :D

On all the drawings I have, the Midland used 10", 12" & 14" timbers only.

Andy

posted: 23 May 2016 23:24

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Thanks Andy.

I didn't know timbers were sometimes that wide.

posted: 24 May 2016 07:54

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Andy B wrote:
Having got back to using Templot over the past couple of months, I have to start this request by saying just what a great tool it is now, and thought I wouldn't find anything it couldn't do.
But now, maybe I have....

Here is an extract from a Midland Railway PW Engineer's drawing:
The wing rails have a set and then finish with radius or 18".
The check rails opposite (adjacent to the stock rails) have a similar arrangement, but the end radius is larger.
Is this reasonable to add as a third flare type to the 'adjust check rail end or wing rail end' dialog?
Hi Andy,

Thanks for the kind words and the drawing. :)

( it's full size in the gallery at:

gallery/606/original/606_191437_380000000.jpg

)

There are lots of things Templot can't do. Pre-grouping curly check rail ends are one of them and have been on my NOD list for years (Nice One Day), but I have to say not very near the top. It is the sort of detail which can be added during construction without necessarily needing to be on the template. It would be a lot of work to implement in the program code.

The North Eastern had similar check rail ends to these Midland ones. It's a bit of a puzzle what these curly ends were intended to achieve. For the wheel back to get anywhere near the curly end of the check rail the wheelset would need to be all but derailed. No modern check rails have such a wide end gap, and if you look at the wear marks on them it is clear that wheels contact only the last inch or so of the flare, as indeed they should do if the back-to-back and track gauge are correct.

Also of interest in your Midland drawing is the very narrow 1.3/4" (44.5mm) knuckle gap equal to the flangeway, showing a sharp zero-radius knuckle bend in the wing rail. I don't actually believe this drawing, especially as the rail is shown inclined. It is simply not possible to make such a sharp bend in bullhead rail (even though that is exactly what Templot shows, of course :). ) It is in contrast to the North Eastern drawings which show a generous knuckle radius and wider knuckle gap. Doing something about this is also on the NOD list and much closer to the top, but it will also be a lot of work. For a list of REA knuckle gaps, see the crossing data on this page:

http://templot.com/martweb/templot_forum.htm

I'd be happy to upload a selection of complete MR P-W drawings for others to reference. But as they are 3-4MB each, I wanted to check that the size is OK and where I should put them.
Yes please. :)

They are too big for the image gallery, but you can add them as attachments here. Only one attachment is possible per message, so simply make a fresh reply for each one. Thanks.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 25 May 2016 21:48

Andy B

My attempt at uploading the first drawing file failed, and I'm about to be offline for a week - so will try again on my return.

Andy

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Pre-grouping check rails with curly ends - new flare type?
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020