topic: 2885A rethink of plans
author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 May 2016 22:06

kellyh

Coventry - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
So if you'll recall, I previously posted with a few issues I was having with the layout plan I'd drawn.

In the end I decided to go back and try again. Rather than having a crossover on a transition curve, it is now straight, though it might look better as a Y, but not entirely sure how to achieve that at present, but for now it works to give the overall idea for figuring things out.

I also have added a single slip at the left end. I followed the tutorial video best I could and *think* I've got it right, but I'm not convinced of that. Might have messed the single slip alignment up somewhere along the way, not entirely sure.

the plan is for a traverser each end, and the 3 long parallel tracks are planned to be hidden underneath scenery and accessed from the traverser.

Any thoughts and suggestions welcomed.
Attachment: attach_2291_2885_woolwich_dockyardch_2016_05_31_2159_53.box     257

posted: 1 Jun 2016 13:49

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Kelly.
Yes there are a few issues with your track plan as it stands. Leave it with me and I will see what I can do with it.
Tony W.

posted: 1 Jun 2016 13:55

kellyh

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
Yes there are a few issues with your track plan as it stands. Leave it with me and I will see what I can do with it.
Tony W.
Hi Tony,

Much appreciated. I figured there'd be a few issues, but it looks improved on my first attempt, and either way I'm getting more used to the software with each attempt.

I've attached the sketchboard file so you can see what I'm aiming for.

Kelly
Attachment: attach_2292_2885_sketchboard_2016_05_31_2221_17.png     385

posted: 1 Jun 2016 17:06

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Kelly.
I have sorted several issues for you. The most serious is how the diamonds were joined at the centre as they were overlapped. Not sure how you achieved that! If you use the tools menu and create a diamond crossing or a ladder crossover from an existing turnout, Templot will generate the diamond correctly (at the adjacent track centre spacing in the latter instance). I have altered the track spacing to 45mm centres for the lower two tracks as this produces better alignment of the timbering where they overlap. There were a couple of misaligned track joints. I have redone the slip road for you. The slip switches are toward the bottom of the the list of switch types available. They are joined by a length of plain track with no sleepers. Your junction had the turnouts staggered, but in the wrong direction, which reduces the track spacing between the diverging roads. The turnout on the inner curve of the junction should be set in advance of the outer one to increase the track spacing of the diverging roads.
I like the overall concept. If you are going to use a traverser arrangement, you may need to make sure the double track centres are all the same at the baseboard edges. I would suggest 45mm to match the double track at the front.
There are still the timbers to be sorted out (shift F10) which I will leave for you to have a go at when you are happy with your track plan. (You won't learn if I do it all for you).
Regards
Tony.
Attachment: attach_2293_2885_woolwich_dockyardch_2016_06_01_1624_29.box     267

posted: 1 Jun 2016 17:27

d827kelly

Tony W wrote:
Hi Kelly.
I have sorted several issues for you. The most serious is how the diamonds were joined at the centre as they were overlapped. Not sure how you achieved that! If you use the tools menu and create a diamond crossing or a ladder crossover from an existing turnout, Templot will generate the diamond correctly (at the adjacent track centre spacing in the latter instance). I have altered the track spacing to 45mm centres for the lower two tracks as this produces better alignment of the timbering where they overlap. There were a couple of misaligned track joints. I have redone the slip road for you. The slip switches are toward the bottom of the the list of switch types available. They are joined by a length of plain track with no sleepers. Your junction had the turnouts staggered, but in the wrong direction, which reduces the track spacing between the diverging roads. The turnout on the inner curve of the junction should be set in advance of the outer one to increase the track spacing of the diverging roads.
I like the overall concept. If you are going to use a traverser arrangement, you may need to make sure the double track centres are all the same at the baseboard edges. I would suggest 45mm to match the double track at the front.
There are still the timbers to be sorted out (shift F10) which I will leave for you to have a go at when you are happy with your track plan. (You won't learn if I do it all for you).
Regards
Tony.
Thank you for that Tony. I'm not at home right now, but when am back home will load up the .box file so I can see the changes.

The crossover I think I might have moved the wrong element when I rejigged things (I'd mistakenly had it set for the wrong gauge, so was headscratching trying to work out why it was so much bigger than I thought it would be, so then had to move everything around). The slip I knew I'd messed up somehow, so thank you for correcting the elements there.

I'll look at the track spacing when I next get a chance and set them to be the same each side to allow alignment as you suggest.

I was trying to follow the video for the single slip, which in the video is on a curve and translate it to a straight turnout in the opposite direction, so thats probably where I was going wrong.

I'm mostly happy with the plan, probably will need a few tweaks (spacing and timbers as you say), but am mostly there I think. I did like the nice curves of the previous plan, but had to have a rethink when I started thinking more seriously about how to make it modular (to allow for different configurations/lengths) and the curves would have limited the options for that sadly.

I might yet change the crossover (somehow) to be more of a Y as it is in real life, but I won't be replicating the switched crossover that the actual location has I think.

Thanks again for your help.
Attachment: attach_2294_2885_post-6902-0-91558200-1459632196.jpg     240

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A rethink of plans
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020