topic: 29797 1/4, 5, & 3 1/2 Multi gauge track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Feb 2017 21:42

Bill Vallance

MARLOW - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi i'm new to Templot and GIMP and have not yet downloaded the software.My question is-- Is it suitable for the larger modelling gauges? i am in the process of manufacturing turnouts for our existing ground level track. The problem i have building point work to connect between existing tracks. the GIMI seems ideal but i'm not clear if the software will cope with such a large gauge? has anyone any experience if this? i have already produced the first point and GIMP looks like a good possibility.3328_051628_350000000.jpg3328_051628_350000000.jpg
Attachment: attach_2381_2979_file1.jpeg     309

posted: 6 Feb 2017 09:47

Nigel Fisher

Tibshelf, Alfreton - United Kingdom

Bill

A friend and I have used Templot successfully at 5inch gauge for both turnouts and (as in the photo, seen during a test fit) a tandem.

Nigel Fisher
Attachment: attach_2382_2979_V__3E75.jpg     396

posted: 6 Feb 2017 11:53

Bill Vallance

MARLOW - United Kingdom

3328_060642_070000000.jpg3328_060642_070000000.jpg

Nigel Fisher wrote:

A friend and I have used Templot successfully at 5inch gauge for both turnouts and (as in the photo, seen during a test fit) a tandem.

Nigel Fisher

Nigel,

Thanks for your reply. The picture attached shows part of our layout and would be the picture I would us in the GIMP? I need to connect the straight track which is in line with the camera to the 1st curved track on the left. The track will run from were the bush is and past the top of the head shunt. Do I start in Templot and the go into GIMP or can I do it straight from GIMP?

Attachment: attach_2383_2979_file1.jpeg     287

posted: 7 Feb 2017 09:16

Nigel Fisher

Tibshelf, Alfreton - United Kingdom

As I see it you will need to approach this in one of 2 ways.

1. Use GIMP to develop a plan of the tracks in the area already, onto which you could draw the turnouts required in templot with the linking track.
or
2. Layout the new track on the ground to help design the turnouts required (eg crossing angle etc..) and design the two turnouts in templot.

One possible problem is that I don't believe templot will go up to 7 1/4 gauge, but you may be able to get around that when you print the plan by hand drawing the 7inch rails.

Regards

Nigel

posted: 7 Feb 2017 17:10

Nigel Brown

This may not apply, but the question does arise in the larger scales of whether the track is used for purposes such as passenger-carrying. Item 6 of Templot terms and conditions reads:

6. Templot2 software is a hobby program intended for modelmakers. Output from Templot2 software may not conform to the standards and regulatory requirements for full-size railway track and passenger-carrying miniature railways. Templot2 software is not intended to be used in the design of such track or for any other safety-critical application. Templot2 software must not be used on any computer which is in use for safety-critical or life-support functions.

As I said, may not apply, but maybe something to be aware of.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 7 Feb 2017 20:16

Bill Vallance

MARLOW - United Kingdom

Thanks Nigel,

Looks like I will b laying it out on the ground.

Thanks for your advice.

Templot Club > Forums > Tips and tutorials > 7 1/4, 5, & 3 1/2 Multi gauge track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020