topic: 2981Templot on Linux
author remove search highlighting

posted: 15 Feb 2017 22:19

JohnB

Newcastle Emlyn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I've just switched from Windows 7 to Linux Mint, and tried installing Templot in Wine. I was amazed that it worked first time without any complaints! A quick look shows that it seems to be working fine. I haven't yet installed any printers, so this may still be a problem area though.

Are there any known problems I may face as I use it more? I'm using the latest LTS version of Mint (1.8)

posted: 15 Feb 2017 23:03

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi John.
There are plenty of us happily using Templot via Wine / Linux.
There are very few problems mostly to do with some of the graphic symbols displaying differently, which we can live with. There is a library of generic printer drivers to suit most needs including some quite old models, like mine, so problems there are unlikely.
I switched to Linux Mint when Windows XP was abandoned by Microsoft and haven't regretted it for one moment.
Tony W.

posted: 15 Feb 2017 23:29

JohnB

Thanks Tony. I started changing when XP was abandoned, but ended up staying with Windows for business reasons, but I don't need to worry about that any more.

I'll go searching for old HP Color Laserjet and Brother multi-function laser drivers soon, and hope I'll be lucky! Otherwise they'll have to go on my old laptop that's running Windows 7 to drive my Silhouette Portrait. Next job is some Windows software that won't be anywhere near as easy to install in Wine!

posted: 15 Feb 2017 23:52

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi John.
It was quite some time ago now, but if I remember correctly, it is just a case of connecting the printer via a USB cable and LINUX searches for and installs the driver automatically.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 16 Feb 2017 00:07

JohnB

Thanks Tony. I hope it's that simple, but I'm used to Windows making life difficult. So far, Mint has been worryingly easy!

posted: 16 Feb 2017 00:26

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

Thanks for your Wine report. :)

I do try to make sure Templot will run reasonably well on Wine/CrossOver, because apart from Linux users there are also many Mac users running Templot that way.

It does mean that Templot is restricted to using only the Windows Common Controls, old-style menus etc., rather than some of the more modern-looking components and controls.

The main known issue is that Wine does not support modal dialogs. Or at least not on Ubuntu. That means that if a dialog is showing modal and you click off it, it will be lost behind the trackpad, but the program can't continue until you close it. If Templot appears to have frozen, that is probably the reason. You can get going again by pressing the ESC key on the keyboard.

If you try other Windows programs on Wine, be aware of this (ESC may not work).

Also as Tony says there are issues with some of the graphics fonts and symbols, and font sizes generally. There is an option on the program panel at program > use Wine fonts which may help, or may not, depending which fonts your Linux system has installed.

There is another problem in the help menu. You will probably find that help > Templot Companion User Guides > INTEGRAL EWRITER VERSION does not work on Wine.

However there is an alternative help > Templot Companion User Guides > basic viewer version intended for Wine users, and some Windows users may also prefer it. Unlike EWriter it doesn't offer any Search facility, although the A-Z Index is available. It doesn't support any context help functions, so in Wine any such context help opens the online web version instead.

But the FBR videos at help > watch a video > should play ok in Wine.

The above is all a bit academic until I get a bit more updated content into these help formats.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 16 Feb 2017 10:51

JohnB

Thanks Martin. I'm not a big Templot user, and so far have just used it for producing a few turnout templates, and trying some small layout ideas, so I don't think anything you've mentioned will cause me any problems, but it's good to be aware of them.

When there's an update to Templot, do I need to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one?

posted: 16 Feb 2017 11:12

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

JohnB wrote:
When there's an update to Templot, do I need to uninstall the previous version before installing the new one?
Hi John,

No, you can install Templot straight over the top of the existing version. All your existing data files will be retained.

You can also install multiple copies of Templot2 on your computer, provided you put each one in its own folder. For example installing Templot on a USB memory stick means you can use it on any computer anywhere provided it has internet access during startup. All your data files would be on there with it.

Assuming you are using Templot2, the program will tell you when an update is available and lead you through the download and installation.

If you are still using an older version of Templot, i.e. pre-November 2011 (more than 5 years), I strongly recommend that you change to using Templot2. You can have both programs on your computer at the same time. The old version is likely to be very clunky on Wine.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot on Linux
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020