author remove search highlighting

posted: 28 Mar 2017 13:51

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Ariels Girdle wrote:
Using old, familiar F keys and not browsing through menus makes it easy to miss new features. Last week I showed someone how to make an ordinary crossover - he had been doing it manually for years without being aware of the possibility of doing it automatically.
I guess we are all guilty of that from time to time, but as Martin posts the updates here as new facilities become available, the least we can do is take the trouble to read them periodically!

Regards
Tony.

posted: 28 Mar 2017 15:14

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Reading them is one thing, remembering them is something different again, I'm afraid.

Phil

posted: 28 Mar 2017 17:14

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Phil.
Yea, know what you mean.
Tony.

posted: 28 Mar 2017 18:41

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
I guess we are all guilty of that from time to time, but as Martin posts the updates here as new facilities become available, the least we can do is take the trouble to read them periodically!
You would need to go back a long way to see the introduction of the tools > make crossover function, it was part of the first release 17 years ago:

tut5-16.giftut5-16.gif

But if you do read about new functions and try them, it would be helpful to post something saying so. That makes it more likely that others will notice it too.

For example in the latest program update I added the extend/shorten to meet functions. I have found them extremely useful and time-saving, and I've been kicking myself for not doing some such years ago. See:

topic 2969

I prepared a short tutorial page about them (begin paragraph 6):

http://templot.com/companion/link_existing.html

But so far silence. I don't know if anyone has tried them, found them useful, found any problems?

Which means I suspect that the majority of users have not discovered them. I don't really know what I can do about that -- perhaps a flashing "Did you know? / Tip of the day" panel at start-up? Those can be very annoying to regular users.

Also the new peg positions, TEXITP and TMINP, see:

topic 2977

Martin.

posted: 28 Mar 2017 21:20

Nigel Brown

Martin

Don't think there's an awful lot you can do. I make a vague mental note along the lines of "there's some new stuff which could be very useful", but I tend to operate on a need to know basis. At the moment I'm working 100% on the existing layout with just the odd bit of plain track to add, so wouldn't try them out. I have a second layout at the back of my thoughts, and if I get stuck into that I'll do an exercise in getting up to speed with what's new. So long as I can look back and pick up what's evolved that's good enough for me, but doesn't help you.

Think it's down to those active on a regular basis to try the odd thing out.

Cheers
Nigel

posted: 28 Mar 2017 22:50

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

OK Martin,

I tried the, "extend/shorten to meet", functions almost as soon as you introduced them. My first thoughts were, "why bother". My second and subsequent thoughts are, "these are brilliant, don't need to keep zooming and changing the length, why has it taken so long for Martin to introduce them".

irritates a bit when it says:
"Small error found:

If extended the control template will not align perfectly with the background template, but may be acceptable for use.

The discrepancies will be:

on X: 0.055 mm
on Y: 0.021 mm
on angle: 0.013 degrees.....

However, I've got used to it now.

Most of the functions you introduce are successful, I think, but one has to use and test them in order to appreciate their worth, which is not always immediately apparent.

Godders

posted: 28 Mar 2017 23:33

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
I tried the, "extend/shorten to meet", functions almost as soon as you introduced them. My first thoughts were, "why bother". My second and subsequent thoughts are, "these are brilliant, don't need to keep zooming and changing the length, why has it taken so long for Martin to introduce them".

irritates a bit when it says:
"Small error found:

If extended the control template will not align perfectly with the background template, but may be acceptable for use.

The discrepancies will be:

on X: 0.055 mm
on Y: 0.021 mm
on angle: 0.013 degrees.....

However, I've got used to it now.
Thanks Godders.

Can you explain why you find that irritating? Would you prefer that Templot didn't warn you? The discrepancy in the rail edges is likely to be noticeable when zoomed in.

Most of the functions you introduce are successful, I think, but one has to use and test them in order to appreciate their worth, which is not always immediately apparent.
Or ever. :(

When I added the pad bunching function way back in the original version I thought that at times it would be very useful, allowing both ends of a long template to be seen without zooming out, while making adjustments.

In practice I can't remember ever using it, and I doubt anyone else ever has. :)

trackpad > zoom/view > paper bunching on

then

action > mouse actions: trackpad > adjust paper bunching

Notice the jump in the grid labels:

2_281826_570000000.png2_281826_570000000.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Mar 2017 09:01

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,
I'm sure the new Peg positions will be useful and I will probably be using them at some point in the near future. I could certainly have used them on the last plan I did. However it may be a week or two before I can get around to trying them out.

posted: 29 Mar 2017 09:09

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Martin as I said at the end, I've got used to it. However, thinking about it, it's perhaps too wordy and I'm not sure the statistics help, I'll get back to you on that aspect.

Now that you have roused me, the other message is more irritating, "The control template does not align.....". This is irritating because most of the time it doesn't seem to be true. If the message come up I often extend the turnout with "F4 Length or Tools>make branch track" and they line up perfectly.

Cheers Godders

P.S. I still appreciate your efforts. Templot keeps me from getting senile, the alternative is Bingo I'm told.

posted: 29 Mar 2017 12:03

stuart1600

United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

Also the new peg positions, TEXITP and TMINP, see:

topic 2977

Martin.
I've been using the new TEXITP peg position quite a lot, and have found it really useful; so thanks for adding that.
I've also played around a bit with the extend/shorten function, but not needed to use it in earnest so far; but I don't recall encountering any problems with it - it seemed to do what I expected.
As ever, many thanks for your continuing enhancements to the already superb Templot.

Regards,
Stuart

posted: 29 Mar 2017 12:14

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

I have used the TEXITP a couple of time and I think I am, about to find a use for the Extend/Shorten function.

Thanks

Phil

posted: 29 Mar 2017 12:52

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Should I have moved this to Templot Talk, it seems like I/We are hijacking this subject.

I have been experimenting with the, "extend/shorten to meet", functions. One of the things I have done is create a template of a turnout, from a straight track, then use tools>make split>make separate exit track. I have then shortened the straight track away from the turnout. However, when I then use the, "peg align tools>extend/shorten.....>at control 6", function, I get the, "The control template does not align...", message.
As I know it does align, what is the problem, am I wrong to expect it to?

Godders

posted: 29 Mar 2017 14:43

Martin Wynne

Godfrey Earnshaw wrote:
then use tools>make split>make separate exit track. I have then shortened the straight track away from the turnout. However, when I then use the, "peg align tools>extend/shorten.....>at control 6", function, I get the, "The control template does not align...", message.
As I know it does align, what is the problem, am I wrong to expect it to?
Hi Godders,

That should be at CTRL-9 on the main-side (MS).

CTRL-6 is on the turnout-side (TS) vee-joint. You would use that after make branch track if that track has been shortened or snaked away at some stage.

CTRL-8 is on the main-side (MS) vee-joint.

CTRL-8 and CTRL-9 (overall length) is the same location immediately after a split, but not if you subsequently extend (or shorten) the turnout length.

For plain track templates CTRL-1 (rail joint) and CTRL-9 (overall length) is always the same location (opposite end to CTRL-0).

I will change the menu wording to make it clearer. Thanks.

For more information about the peg positions, see:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm#peg_positions

Sorry it is a bit out of date, like most things.

Yes, we seem to have changed topics -- nothing new there. :)

I will split this off into a separate topic.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 29 Mar 2017 16:16

Godfrey Earnshaw

Crawley - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Don't need to change it for me, it's just me getting old.

Thanks

Godders

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Feedback on new features
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020