author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 May 2017 22:00

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello,

Am I correct in thinking that it isn't possible to modify the spacings within the crossing area of a turnout except by shoving individual timbers to suit ? Modifying the spacing of the timbers in the switch part of the turnout is easy to do and works fine although I haven't yet found out how to move the switch actuating bar a little to suit the new timber spacings.

I am modifying some templates into a small library for a couple of US HO layouts ( :? back to trucks riding through frogs and guard rails ! ) and I would like to close up the timbers/ties in the switch and crossing areas to match some of the US prototypes. There will also be various timber spacings on plain tracks. I am intending to use the Short model-type switches as they look OK on the turnouts and save a little space ( unless anybody advises otherwise ).

Thanks
Rob
Click for Music to work by

posted: 19 May 2017 23:32

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that it isn't possible to modify the spacings within the crossing area of a turnout except by shoving individual timbers to suit ? Modifying the spacing of the timbers in the switch part of the turnout is easy to do and works fine although I haven't yet found out how to move the switch actuating bar a little to suit the new timber spacings.

I am modifying some templates into a small library for a couple of US HO layouts ( :? back to trucks riding through frogs and guard rails ! ) and I would like to close up the timbers/ties in the switch and crossing areas to match some of the US prototypes. There will also be various timber spacings on plain tracks. I am intending to use the Short model-type switches as they look OK on the turnouts and save a little space ( unless anybody advises otherwise )
Hi Rob,

You can set the timber spacings through the crossing to whatever you want -- but there are only two settings, the spacing in the wing rail front section, and the spacing in the vee rail section.

If you want the spacings in these sections to vary for each timber, you must use the shove timber functions afterwards -- you can't set each timber spacing individually as you can for switches.

This may mean that you need a calculator to set the average spacing (and hence the rail joint positions), so that you can then shove each timber afterwards to the exact required position.

The starting point for making the settings is deciding the position of the rail joints in the wing rails, and to the end of the vee rails, relative to the centre of the "A" timber under the crossing nose. And the spacing from the joints to the adjacent timber. This information is normally available from the prototype data.

The position of the blunt nose relative to the centre of the "A" timber is set in the blunt nose menu item.

timber_spacings_899x436.pngtimber_spacings_899x436.png

More info about all this:

http://templot.com/companion/timber_spacings_overview.html

The switch drive mark cannot be easily adjusted. It is not intended to represent the stretcher bar, it is intended to mark the template for the drive slot in the trackbed.

If it is unwanted or not in the required place it can be turned off -- untick the do > switch drive mark menu item.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 20 May 2017 00:09

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thank you for the reply. I hadn't understood the meaning of the V crossing customization options but now I see the way forward with this. I don't need to have the timber postions variable as such but just closer spaced than normal. From the turnout diagram you posted I require areas 1 3 and 4 to have a closer (19" or 20" ) spacing whilst the closure area will be 22". I will work on this in the next day or so.

I need to work out how many library templates I need to do to cover my needs. They may be another question for you at some point - like how do I create a crossover using all the changed settings in a library template.

Thanks again for the help. I did a single slip earlier for a british layout using the brilliant video you made - excellent.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Customized V-Crossing options
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020