topic: 3037Dual gauge turnouts
author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 Jun 2017 16:48

George Ray

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Several years ago I produced some dual gauge turnout 5" and 7 1/4" templates for our local Model Engineering Society of which I am a member. The requirement has now arisen to produce some more bespoke turnouts. I still have the original box file but the difference is such that I think I really need to start again. I started with a 7 1/4" turnout then tried to align a 5" gauge turnout on top to start to develop the necessary partial templates. However I can't find the notch and peg positions that allow the main rail to be common for both turnouts. Help please. I also need to be able for the turnout side rail to be the common rail for another turnout. The original templates were produced on v91c but I dont think this should have made a difference I just have forgotten how I did it.Any help gratefully received.

posted: 7 Jun 2017 19:38

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi George,

Please could you post the .box file here so that I can see what you mean.

Did you use the same scale for both turnouts?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 8 Jun 2017 16:49

George Ray

United Kingdom

Martin
Hopefully I've attached the box file which only has at this moment the two turnout templates. A 7 1/4 lh and a 5" left hand that should fit closely to the 7 1/4. I used the custom gauge B for the 7 1/4 using 38.1mm /ft and a gauge of 184.15 and then the 5" using custom A again 38.1 mm/ft but a gauge of 127mm. I put the peg on both templates on the main road stock rail for both.  But my memory has gone completely fuzzy on what I do to get the 5" to sit on top of the 7 1/4. As soon as I shift it the notch moves to the centre line and hence the stock rails aren't aligned. On a related topic for this should the gauge setting remain set when I shut down Templot or should I have to re-enter them each time.
Regards
George Ray
Attachment: attach_2447_3037_new_ADMES_dual.box     206

posted: 8 Jun 2017 19:25

Martin Wynne

George Ray wrote:
As soon as I shift it the notch moves to the centre line and hence the stock rails aren't aligned. On a related topic for this should the gauge setting remain set when I shut down Templot or should I have to re-enter them each time.
Hi George,

Thanks for posting the file.

That sounds as if you are using F7 snapping to align the templates. Don't use F7 for that, instead use the peg and notch functions directly:

Click on the background template. On its menu, peg/align tools > put notch under peg on background template. Then for the control template, geometry > notch > shift onto notch.

The custom gauge settings in the templates will be preserved between sessions if you answer yes please - restore previous work during start-up, or if your restore previous at a later stage, or of course if you reload a saved .box file.

Note however that they will not show in the gauge/scale list* in the next session. There is no real reason to need them there -- you already have them in the templates, which you can copy at will.

However you can if you wish adopt them from the control template into one of the custom slots on the list, for each new session. Templot doesn't do that automatically because there are only 4 custom slots, and a .box file could in theory contain many more custom settings than that.

The way to save any setting in Templot is always the same -- store a template containing it and save the .box file. That's what the library templates option is for.

7.1/4 lh and a 5" left hand that should fit closely to the 7.1/4. I used the custom gauge B for the 7 1/4 using 38.1mm /ft and a gauge of 184.15 and then the 5" using custom A again 38.1 mm/ft but a gauge of 127mm.
In order to have a common rail for mixed gauge, you must

1. use the same scale for both, and

2. use the same switch size for both. I suggest you change the B-6 to a 12ft-6, matching the 12ft-7.

Change the 12ft-7 to a curviform V-crossing. Use F9 to adjust the V-crossing angle on it until the turnout curves align, and the F.P. marker is on the underlying curve. Then use CTRL+F12 to shorten the turnout road exit to match the crossing entry straight mark on the underlying 12ft-6 template. Using the TEXITP peg position, attach a bit of straight plain track to provide the remaining length of exit rail.

On the other hand, if you decide that you didn't want to use a curviform V-crossing (for easier large-scale manufacture), you could set both turnouts to 12ft-7, set the narrow gauge turnout to a generic V-crossing, and adjust the crossing entry straight (SHIFT+F11)on the broad gauge turnout to align.  

Either way, that gives you all the rail alignments, and you can then strip out the partial templates for a neat result, and shove any mismatched timbers.

I will make you a bit of video showing all that, but maybe not tonight because there is a long night in front of the TV in prospect. :)

*Note that if you use the save program preferences option, the custom settings WILL be preserved in the gauge/scale list between sessions. But note that these will not necessarily match any templates in the currently loaded .box file, it is simply a record of the custom settings as originally created.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 9 Jun 2017 19:49

George Ray

United Kingdom

Martin
Thanks for the speedy reply yes I had forgotten about using the peg and notch directly and was using the F7 snap. I await the bit of video when you get around to it, just to make sure I am doing the right thing.

Regards
George:thumb:

posted: 30 Jun 2017 21:23

George Ray

United Kingdom

Things have moved on as far as the trackwork design is concerned and we now have need of a dual gauge diamond crossing where a 71/4 line crosses the dual 5 & 71/4 track. I have managed to produce a design that is almost complete. The only problem I have is producing a gap in the crossing rail where the 71/4 track crosses the dual gauge. I've attached the box file to illustrate the problem. Is there a simple way of getting the gap. It is really only academic as far as building the diamond is concerned because a dab of tipex will remove the offending piece of rail on the template and no-one will be any the wiser.
Attachment: attach_2459_3037_Dual_Gauge_diamond.box     187

posted: 30 Jun 2017 22:27

Martin Wynne

Hi George,

We seem to have been here before in 2009. I made a video showing how to make a break in a rail using partial templates, in your topic here:

topic 706 - message 3967

Hopefully the Jing video will still play on your system. If not I will see if I can convert it to FBR format. Like most things on the Templot web site it is years out-of-date, but the basics are still the same.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jul 2017 16:44

George Ray

United Kingdom

Martin

Thank you for your patience with a total numskull. I had completely forgotten that I had actually asked this question before and got the answer I needed. I can only plead that I thought there was a key stroke for the blanking length but I had misplaced the function key chart which I had printed out back in 2009. I have now discovered where I put it and all is now right with the world and I have tidied up the odd misalignments in the diamond.
Thank you once again for your help.

George :thumb:

posted: 1 Jul 2017 20:26

Martin Wynne

George Ray wrote:
I had misplaced the function key chart which I had printed out back in 2009. I have now discovered where I put it and all is now right with the world
Hi George,

No problem, my memory is the same. :)

You don't have to search for an old F key chart, you can print a new one at any time -- help > print F key chart menu item.

It's a good idea to do that from time to time anyway -- there were several changes for Templot2 and it is always possible that there may be more changes in future.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Dual gauge turnouts
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020