topic: 3041Counting railchairs
author remove search highlighting

posted: 29 Jun 2017 18:06

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I know how to get the total sleeper length.  Is it possible for Templot to tell me how many railchairs I need for each template?  I guess it might be difficult as there are many types of chair, but just a total number would be helpful.  Thanks

posted: 30 Jun 2017 08:06

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

For plain track I double the number of sleepers and for S & C I times it by four, this gives a pretty good ball park figure.

Phil

posted: 1 Jul 2017 22:39

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

Phil, that's ok, but how do I count sleepers? It's not on the info output.

posted: 3 Jul 2017 17:31

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Richard

In the info box it gives the number of panels of track and the number of sleepers per panel, plus any additional sleepers for a part panel. Thus you times the number of panels by the number of sleepers ( a 60 foot panel usually has 25 ) so you have 7 panels x 25 sleepers + the odds say 6 so that's 7 x 25 = 175 sleepers in the full panels + the 6 odds = 181 sleepers, you will have to repeat the exercise for each template. For turnout timbering you will have to do each different crossing angle separately so if you have a B6 that will have 30 timbers times the number of turnouts and a C10 will have 40 timbers per turnout times the number of turnouts ETC. ETC.

Phil

posted: 3 Jul 2017 22:05

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

For an accurate count you would need to do a detailed chairing design for every template, allowing for partial templates, special switch chairs, special crossing chairs, check rail chairs, etc.

In any event you would need to order more than the minimum to allow for the inevitable losses, breakages, etc. when threading rail -- apart from any last minute design changes.

For plain track templates you can get an approximate count by grouping all the plain track templates (group > create smaller group > group all plain track templates), and then dividing the total group timbering length by the length of your plain track sleepers (34mm for the last 100 years in 4mm scale):

2_031639_140000000.png2_031639_140000000.png

So 55114mm above divided by 34mm = 1621 sleepers.

2 ordinary chairs per sleeper = 3242 chairs.

BUT, big but, that doesn't include any plain track approach and exit tracks in the turnout templates. The total length of timbering in those above is 68820 - 55114 = 13706mm. Dividing that by 34mm will overstate the number of timbers because it should include some longer crossing timbers. But those will require extra chairs, so the end result may not be too far out. It all depends on your track design and number and size of turnouts, etc.

If there are only a few turnouts, you could perhaps go through the design and split off all approach and exit tracks to get an accurate plain track count.

The main intention of the above screen was for those wanting to order rail and timbering strip. No-one has ever asked for a total count of the timbers before -- I will look at adding that in the next program update, and separating sleepers from timbers.

regards,

Martin. 

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Counting railchairs
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020