author remove search highlighting

posted: 30 Jun 2017 22:42

Stan Agar

New Zealand

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Good morning,
My first time posting on here, so hope it works. Recently my hard drive crashed so a new PC has risen from the ashes with everything back where it should be from my two back-ups except my Templot files. I can't find them anywhere! This includes the current layout plan I need to print out in it's final form and various other templates.Am I looking in the wrong place?

Stan Agar

posted: 30 Jun 2017 23:10

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Stan,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

By default, your Templot .box files are saved at C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

Did you save them somewhere else? Or maybe that location was not included in your backup set?

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jul 2017 01:11

Stan Agar

New Zealand

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I feared that they hadn’t been saved by the stand alone hard drive. I am starting to re-draw things based on a screen capture I have from 2 years ago. The layout has got larger since and all the printouts I had went in the re-cycle so I’m scanning in a new background to draw on. It will be fun fitting in the three turnouts I have already built!

It's to cold and wet to be in the garage making baseboards anyway.

Regards
Stan Agar

posted: 1 Jul 2017 01:26

Martin Wynne

Hi Stan,

Sorry to hear you seem to have lost your old files. :(

Just to add that every member can use this Templot Club site for backup of Templot files, see:

topic 835

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jul 2017 17:52

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

I know Martin might frown on this but in Win 10, now that it has a Documents folder with no spaces in the folder name, it makes a better place to create the TEMPLOT_DEV folder. Then it can be backed up with the rest of your documents.

Fraser

Ps you can guess why I now do it that way!

posted: 1 Jul 2017 20:54

Martin Wynne

Hi Fraser,

Not so much frowning on it, but doubting that it will work.

If you can tell me how Templot can programmatically find the path to that folder in any version of Windows back to Windows95, and that Windows will allow an executable file to be run from it, and files to be saved to it without any permissions issues in any version of Windows back to Windows95 -- I will happily consider changing the default location.

Templot does now open the Photos folder to enable background picture shapes to be dragged and dropped from it. And as far as I know that is working in all versions of Windows. But that is not the same as running an executable from it or programmatically saving files to it.

There's a reason for using C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\ -- it works reliably in every version of Windows back to Windows95.

I have tried following the official Microsoft guidelines for Windows, and they just can't be relied on to work reliably in every circumstance on every system. You end up with no hair and a computer thrown out of the window.

Yes, users can change the Templot install location to their Documents folder if they wish, or any other folder owned by Windows, but if you do that you are on your own if it goes wrong.

For backups, simply add C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\, or wherever else you choose to install Templot, to your backup set.

Quite a few users now install Templot to a USB memory stick. That way you don't lose it if your hard drive fails, and you can just plug it in on any computer with internet access and carry on where you left off with all your files to hand. Useful if you have occasional access to a system with a larger screen.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 1 Jul 2017 22:44

Richard Spratt

Stockton-upon-Tees - United Kingdom

Unfortunately I've had more USB stick failures than hard disk failures. The last one lost me 2days work.

I now use the cloud; it's to get loads of free storage by using lots of services.

posted: 2 Jul 2017 09:39

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I understand your concern in that you have to support users on multiple Windows versions. I realised I was going off the beaten track in installing Templot into my "Documents" folder on Win10 but I tried it and it worked for me. I was aware of the requirement of no spaces in folder names and when I realised that the Documents folder was on a path that contained no spaces anywhere I thought it was worth a go. I was trying to organise my files to synchronise between three machines and a Synology drive that would only synchronise a single folder. It would backup multiple folders but not synchronise multiple folders.

On the subject of usb drives, as a university lecturer I saw many students lose all their work when they managed to corrupt their drives with no backup at all to fall back on. I used to warn students about this once I was aware of the problem but there were those who ignored the advice and suffered the consequences. When it was their honours project it was an absolute disaster. I would reccomend that anyone using a USB drive in the way that you suggest makes frequent backups of it to prevent loss in the event of corruption of the USB drive.

posted: 2 Jul 2017 10:19

Martin Wynne

Richard Spratt wrote:
Unfortunately I've had more USB stick failures than hard disk failures. The last one lost me 2days work.
Hi Richard, Fraser,

Like most things -- with USB memory sticks you get what you pay for.

They are used reliably in industrial and medical equipment, see:

http://www.amtron.com/USB_flash_disk.htm

but obviously they cost a lot more.

If you use the cheapo memory sticks available in the High Street and from Amazon, etc., do make regular backups somewhere else. Also, don't be too ambitious on capacity, because reliability drops rapidly at higher capacities. A 1GB memory stick is more than enough for anything you are likely to need in Templot. It's easy enough to use a different one for other things. I have several branded 1GB memory sticks which I have been using for years, and so far I haven't had any failures.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Lost templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020