posted: 26 Aug 2017 20:48

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
This will be in the next program update:

2_261542_120000000.png2_261542_120000000.png

Please read these notes and let me know if anything is unclear, or I have missed something obvious. Thanks.

2_261542_130000001.png2_261542_130000001.png

regards,

Martin.

posted: 26 Aug 2017 21:16

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Wow! That's going to be a real bonus! I have two single slips to incorporate into my plan so this should be a huge time and effort saver. Thanks Martin.
Dave

posted: 26 Aug 2017 22:58

Charles Orr

Leicester - United Kingdom

Martin,

Thank you so much for this functionality

It will definitely save me time when I come to design the track formation for my diesel MPD.

Best regards

Charles

posted: 27 Aug 2017 17:05

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Martin.
Very impressive. Templot goes from strength to strength. I have one question. Will this function still work correctly if the length of the Wing Rail fronts have been changed,  which is something I have been know to do from time to time?
Regards
Tony.

posted: 27 Aug 2017 17:17

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

That is a phenomenal piece of work. Congratulations on achieveing that. I'm sure that will enable more people to be able to realise their dream layout as following all the individual steps necessary to make a single or double slip would have put off a significant number of people. I shouldn't have been quite so eager to get my Station throat designed with its array of double slips. Perhaps I'll be able to revisit it soon and get a better arrangement. I assume that the different constraints imposed by a 1:5 crossing requiring an outside slip will still mean I have to tackle that manually. Don't take that as a complaint though as I fully recognise the effort you must have put in to get this working for inside slips.

Downside for me now is that there is talk of house moving just as I get my 9x3.4m loft space ready for building. I'll just have to hope that some aspiring modeller will be so taken with the space they will pay over the odds to get it for a new project so that I can get something similar when the move south happens.

Well done again

Fraser

ps thanks for the picture of the coarse angled switch diamond recently as that may allow me to do away with some of the K rails.

posted: 27 Aug 2017 18:44

Martin Wynne

Tony W wrote:
Will this function still work correctly if the length of the Wing Rail fronts have been changed,  which is something I have been know to do from time to time?
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your comments.

The idea is to create a generic UK-style slip for those who don't want to do it themselves, or find it too difficult. To that end, many settings have to be a compromise.

The wing rail joint marks are suppressed, and the timber spacing at the former joint is increased to 28". The remaining timbers then fill the available space to the K-crossings as before.

Any other wing rail front settings remain unchanged. However, in positioning the slip switches Templot will assume the wing front timbering is unchanged from the defaults. If you have changed the timber spacings in the wing front, it's likely that the switch tips will not be properly supported on a timber. It would then be up to you whether to shove the timbers under them, or snake the switches to a better position and re-create the slip roads. Or use a different switch, or start again from scratch... :)

Essentially, if a specific prototype design is wanted, it will still be necessary to do it yourself as before.

For a double-slip flatter than 1:6.5, there is an option to move the switch tips one timber space further back:

2_271320_590000000.png2_271320_590000000.png

This provides some increased model clearance for the opened blades and the need to maintain insulation between them, and corresponds to some prototype practice. Also more choice in deciding exactly where to make the rail gaps in front of them. Prototypes vary in the position of that rail joint -- on the GWR the wing rail and switch stock rail are in one piece. That's not an option on a 2-rail model.

By default this increased double-slip clearance is on for 00/EM etc, but off for P4/S7 etc. This can be changed as required. It does of course reduce the slip road radius, which is why it applies only above 1:6.5.

None of this is yet released so it is not too late to change it if you have further suggestions, but I'm hoping to get it released in the next few days. My biggest worry is that it will immediately spark calls for tandems, outside slips, scissors crossovers, ... :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Aug 2017 21:33

Martin Wynne

FraserSmith wrote:
I assume that the different constraints imposed by a 1:5 crossing requiring an outside slip will still mean I have to tackle that manually.
HI Fraser,

Thanks for your comments, and the link to your most recent message, which I seem to have missed originally. Sorry about that. I'm glad you eventually found a satisfactory alignment, and I can see why you are interested in double slips. :)

I like your double outside slip, it will make an attractive bit of trackwork, assuming your house move allows you to keep it.

I'm afraid this new function is for inside slips only, as you suspected. It will however let you create one at any angle, so if you want to try a 1:5 inside slip, you can. This is what a curved one on 2640mm radius looks like in 4-SF:

2_271601_180000000.png2_271601_180000000.png

The inner slip road radius at 481mm/19" is rather sharper than anyone would consider for 4-SF! It could probably be eased a bit by creating your own design from scratch using custom switches, but probably not by enough to make it usable.

On the other hand the outer slip road is 793mm/31.2" radius, so a 1:5 single-slip is feasible in 4-SF if given some contraflexure. The K-crossing check rail would still be a challenge.

On straight track, the slip roads are 600mm/23.6", so maybe just borderline 4-SF territory if unavoidable. Some gauge-widening would be advisable.

In EM, a straight 1:5 slip is 776mm/30.6" so doable with a bit of gauge-widening.

No doubt there will be some more discussion about all this when this update is released, and everyone can try lots of combinations with just a couple of clicks.

Note however that a 1:5 inside slip is not prototypical, or at least I have never seen one, so even if it can be made to work it is not going to look too good.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 30 Aug 2017 17:19

Tony W

Hi Martin.
Thanks for the detailed clarification. It is much as I suspected, an inevitable compromise that works for all with the option to customise for those who wish. That ability to choose is one of the reasons why I love Templot so much! To be able to automate slips at all is an amazing achievement in my view.
I too can see requests to automate other formations, but feel that:
a) there are too many possible variations to cover (Tandem and three throw turnouts, Scissors crossovers).
b) the formations that are relatively rare compared to the rest (Outside Slips and other obscure formations that turn up from time to time).
are probably not worth the investment in time and effort, if indeed they were possible as by their very nature they are likely to be a custom design anyway and no, that is not a challenge.
Your time will be much more usefully spent on other things.
Much appreciated.
Tony.

posted: 31 Aug 2017 18:38

Jubilee42

Rødovre - Denmark

Wow! That's an impressive piece of programming!!

posted: 1 Sep 2017 14:19

madscientist

Martin, what is your thinking with automation for 3 ways/tandem and symmetrical Y ?

posted: 9 Sep 2017 15:26

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Goodness me, I've just had a quick play with the new slip function, and dived straight into making a crossover slip. The result was very impressive!

posted: 9 Sep 2017 18:42

Tony W

It is now possible to generate a frightening amount of work very easily. I am currently building a section of track that contains 2 diamonds, 2 single slips, 2 double slips, all 1 in 7s, plus several turnouts all done the hard way and it will take me several weeks. :)
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 9 Sep 2017 19:13 by Tony W

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > tools > make slip
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020