topic: 3118Download and install Templot 2.15d
author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 Oct 2017 17:19

Brian_G

Burgess Hill - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Has anyone else found a problem with updating to version 2.15d on Windows 10? I've not been on Templot for a while, (last update was 2.14b I think) so when today I got the automatic invitation to update to the latest, 2.15d, I ran the updater leaving all directories unchanged as usual only to find that it crashes every time with the following error screen:

2_011812_330000000.png2_011812_330000000.png

Worse still, when clicking on Abort and it then says 'rolling back' this does not work and leaves me with a non-functioning program and the error message:

2_011812_530000000.png2_011812_530000000.png

I have tried a complete un-install and download but that does not help either.

posted: 31 Oct 2017 17:57

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Brian,

The problem is caused by some anti-virus programs.

Switch it off while installing Templot.

See previous topics about this.

p.s. You don't need an anti-virus program on Windows10. It comes with its own (free) Windows Defender program which works fine.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 31 Oct 2017 18:24

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       As a user of a Microsoft product maybe you should contact them. It would appear their product is not fit for purpose. Unless the product is not just an operating system to enable the use of a computer  to do things you want. Maybe Microsoft should make this clear to its customers that is or is not the case. I prefer not to use Microsoft products where possible and have avoided such issues.

If people complained to Microsoft about their products maybe they would do something about such an unsatisfactory state of affairs. I am baffled how people put up with perfectly usable software packages or hardware being rendered unusable or obsolete without reason just so they (Microsoft) can resell a computer operating system that ties people to using only what Microsoft permit.

Imagine a single motor manufacturer dictating how fuel should be produced. Such a monopoly would be considered outrageous as well as illegal. Martin does not work for Microsoft and does not receive remuneration as a support agent for them either as far as I am aware.

I think the flaw most likely lays with Windows 10 judging the effect it has for other users software and hardware when moving to this latest Windows iteration. :(
Sympathies.

Trevor.

posted: 31 Oct 2017 18:33

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Trevor Walling wrote:
I think the flaw most likely lays with Windows 10 judging the effect it has for other users software and hardware when moving to this latest Windows iteration. :(
Hi Trevor
I’m not aware that anyone running Windows 10 is having problems with Templot because they’re running Windows 10. I’m certainly not, although there are plenty of other reasons for my dislike of that OS to the extent that I now mainly use a Mac. I’ll bet a pound to a pinch of salt that Brian is running a totally unnecessary third party antivirus package!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 31 Oct 2017 18:41

Martin Wynne

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hi Trevor,

Templot installs and runs just fine on Windows10. I am using Windows10 here.

There are two problems:

1. some folks install a 3rd-party anti-virus program which is completely unnecessary on Windows10 and interferes with its proper working. Windows10 contains its own anti-virus program which works fine.

2. Templot is provided free, so like most other such programs there are no funds to purchase a digital signing certificate -- which costs into three figures per annum. This is the reason for the warning about the program being unidentified when installing Templot.

But thanks for pointing out that I am not here to provide a Windows support service -- primarily because I don't know nearly enough about it. This web site is about Templot, not Windows.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 31 Oct 2017 23:58

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       The reference to third party anti-virus issues is surly Microsoft's responsibility to inform users of its products just as I mentioned. That means Windows 10 does have issues if people are unaware of this.

I don't understand why people would use unnecessary products other than they are unaware that is the case. A lot of pc's are supplied with software bundles that are not always in the best interest of the end users or just duplicate capabilities. Imagine the outcry if you bought a Ford and was supplied with a spare wheel X 2 for a Vauxhall by the dealer. :roll:
Martin is a saint putting up with this issue for what appears Ad infinitum.

PS. I think Microsoft should be paying Martin for enabling Windows to use Templot.

PPS Perhaps this should be in the Off Track section?

Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 1 Nov 2017 00:43

Paul Boyd

Trevor, I’m not sure I follow you! Why is it Microsoft’s responsibility if people decide to install third party products? They make it very clear that Win10 comes with internet security - it’s one of their main selling features! It’s true that dealers like PC World install all sorts of rubbish, but again, that’s not Microsoft’s responsibility. I’m no huge fan of MS which is why I mainly use a Mac, but it does irritate me when people blame Microsoft for everything simply because they’re Microsoft.
Or maybe I’ve missed your point entirely :)

Paul

posted: 1 Nov 2017 02:38

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       My point was Microsoft should put as much effort into enabling users to avoid pitfalls like the anti virus issue as they do into rendering perfectly good software and hardware obsolete and incompatible.

If they did that people would not have to jump through as many hoops. If the open source community can do it or Martin what excuse does Microsoft have? I don't like the way Microsoft deliberately exploits peoples lack of knowledge to make a profit by selling the same thing over and over. "You can fool some of the people some of the time but not all the people all of the time" is not something you could say in Microsoft's case.

I prefer to use Linux but will resort to Microsoft operating systems if it is the only option. Usually obsolete hardware or software that requires such action. Vehicle diagnostics comes to mind or some programs from MERG . There are probably others.

Regards.
Trevor. :)

posted: 1 Nov 2017 03:25

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

The various anti trust lawsuits is why it isn't Microsoft's responsibility.
They were forced to remove their browser in the past for similar reasons.

posted: 1 Nov 2017 04:27

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
         That told me. :D
Regards
Trevor :)
d827kelly wrote:
The various anti trust lawsuits is why it isn't Microsoft's responsibility.
They were forced to remove their browser in the past for similar reasons.

posted: 1 Nov 2017 09:05

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Trevor,

Way back when IBM brought out the PC, there was pretty well no control over who wrote what for the PC and the Microsoft OS which ran on it. In the same era, Apple had an extremely restrictive control over what software was written for its computers. I do remember this time since I had been programming on MSDOS on PCs and I started up a business which used Apple computers as terminals on a hard disk recorder and I thought I might try writing some programs on the Apple. But the hoops I had to jump through didn't appeal. If I remember correctly they even stipulated the programming language and compiler.

So personal computer development blossomed on the PC and stagnated on the Apple platform, which gave rise to the situation today with the Apple a niche computer. In fact it could be argued that the situation for the Apple might have been worse if they hadn't changed to Intel hardware some years ago, which then allowed programs for the PC to run on Apple computers using various interface programs.

Certainly there has been a lot of rubbish programming on the PC over the years but that has been outweighed by the tremendous amount of good programmes which have appeared.

Jim.

posted: 1 Nov 2017 09:35

Nigel Brown

Trevor

I'm operating system neutral. I use whatever I think is right for the software I want to run. Over the years that has been predominantly Windows.

I've had very little trouble with it, certainly none of the horror stories which get repeated time and time again. It's perfectly usable, and reasonably efficient. This may be in part because I build my own PCs, partly because I enjoy the exercise. It does mean that I don't have installed the guff which PC vendors are fond of sticking on their products, which may give me some advantage. But it's hardly Microsoft's fault if some of the 3rd party software out there isn't that great. You get that problem on any system; the free software Linux relies on is often somewhat limited, while Mac versions of programs are often way behind their Windows counterparts.

Microsoft is better than some people like to believe.

Nigel
Last edited on 1 Nov 2017 09:36 by Nigel Brown
posted: 1 Nov 2017 10:15

Raymond

Bexhill-on-sea - United Kingdom

I have to agree with Nigel in that, though I dislike the way Microsoft pursues a policy of deliberate obsolescence, in the main most programs I use with it work well. I certainly prefer Word, Excel etc., to the open source alternatives, which are very limited. So, since I know I have limited time left on the planet I shall stick with Windows 7, I have no wish to have to learn a whole new GUI.

posted: 1 Nov 2017 11:29

Paul Boyd

Raymond wrote:
I have to agree with Nigel in that, though I dislike the way Microsoft pursues a policy of deliberate obsolescence, in the main most programs I use with it work well. I certainly prefer Word, Excel etc., to the open source alternatives, which are very limited. So, since I know I have limited time left on the planet I shall stick with Windows 7, I have no wish to have to learn a whole new GUI.
Hi Raymond
I must admit that I use the Mac version of MS Office 2016 as it does work better than the open source versions!  I "upgraded" my laptop to Win7 from Win10 to get some performance and control back - I can't afford a MacBook!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 1 Nov 2017 13:51

Brian_G

Burgess Hill - United Kingdom

Well, that was an unexpected outburst about Microsoft. For the record I was not getting at Martin and saying it was a Templot fault; not being a regular user of this forum and not finding a 'general queries' topic, the only area I could find that appeared slightly relevant to place my query was this one.

Anyway, the solution was nothing to do with anti-virus software stopping the download, tried turning those off with no difference at all. The problem was that the Templot directory that the download was pointed to appears to be protected in some way, probably because I copied it over on a memory stick from my old Win XP computer onto this laptop ( although I thought I had done an update on it since the previous version in March this year, but perhaps not).

Looking at the error message gave me the clue:  I found could not delete the old exe file version and so neither could the down loader utility! Once I had understood the problem, I created a new directory and 2.15d installed just fine of course. I then copied over all my Box Files, Shapes, etc, etc., so I am now thankfully up and running again.

posted: 1 Nov 2017 14:35

Martin Wynne

Thanks Brian,

Apologies for suggesting anti-virus as the cause. This has however proved to be the cause of several other reports of the same error message, both here and on RMweb, see for example.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/117181-dont-like-templot-other-programs-are-available-and-a-new-one/page-2#entry2905368

Can I just plead with everyone when asking for help to provide ALL relevant information? Hardly anyone ever does so.

In this case, had I known that the Templot installation being updated had been created not by the Templot installer program, but by copying via removable media from a different computer, I could have suggested immediately that the files have probably been set to read-only. In which case that would need to be changed via the file Properties before they can be updated. Or alternatively to create a new installation in a different folder.

This is always the case with files copied via a CD-ROM, where once burnt-in they are physically read-only. I'm a bit surprised that the same happened for a memory stick.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 2 Nov 2017 13:27

Judi R

Sutton-on-Sea - United Kingdom

This seems to be a "feature" that Microsoft introduced with Windows 7 (or perhaps earlier). A year or so back I rebuilt my computer and installed Windows 7 Pro, then installed my old hard-drives for my documents. Win 7 identified them as coming from a different computer and immediately made the whole drive read only. I had to go into every directory and make every file read-write to solve the problem.

Judi R

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Download and install Templot 2.15d
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020