author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Nov 2017 16:17

Dave Burman

Cottingham, East Yorks - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi,

I've been working on this project for many years but have struggled with this particular track formation. The recent introduction of 'Make Slip' in Templot has at last encouraged me to take it out of the 'too difficult' tray and have another go. I attached the box file showing my version of NER Sleepered turnouts and also a sleepered single slip. This latter formation is entirely my own design as there are to my knowledge no record of NER Sleepered slips. I do have the NERA 1912 facsimile PWay stds and as an NERA member sought help from the Association. Despite a very full response from them, there is no actual drawing available (so please don't take my design as being historically correct). The box file still has some templates with minor flaws but I'm just about at the point (no pun intended) where I can start building. I know there are no catch points on the goods line (the top two) but I'm going to give partial templates a miss for the moment. I do have a scan of the prototype track layout which I obtained from the NRM years ago. I used this as a background shape but could never quite match it.

Any comments most welcome.

Dave
Attachment: attach_2582_3134_Botanic_Gardens_Double_Junction_Sleepered_V_3.box     250

posted: 25 Nov 2017 10:48

John Palmer

Dave, any post dealing with sleepered leads and more complex formations always piques my interest, as I have been developing a design for a West Highland layout with trackwork following North British practice, in which sleepered formations were the rule rather than the exception.

A trivial observation regarding your crossings is that the nose of the vee in some cases extends slightly beyond the timber on which it is carried, and I wonder whether that reflects NER practice, or whether the timber should be set in a slightly different position, particularly if there is a holding down bolt in front of the nose.

Another feature that struck me was the alignment of timbers at right angles to one or other of the routes through a crossing. That was the way I laid out my representations of North British crossings until I read Richard Chown's comments at topic 401 – see in particular point 10 in post #92. As a result of this I adjusted my designs so as to align timbers carrying A, B, C, D, X and Y chairs on a line drawn at right angles to the bisector of the vee. I did this in the expectation that the resulting skew of these timbers would ensure that the crossing chairs they carried could be mounted on them with ample timber beneath such chairs' mounting holes into which the fixings could bite.

Taking this approach to a perfectionist conclusion, you might also need to adjust the spacings of timbers carrying special crossing chairs according to the flexure of the two roads beyond the crossing, a point also touched upon in Richard's commentary.

Of course, my observations of North British practice may have no application to what the NER did, but since any railway making use of sleepered leads had to find a way of mounting the special crossing chairs securely, making that the starting point of decisions about timber positioning may have some merit.

posted: 25 Nov 2017 11:16

Dave Burman

John, thank you for your observations. It is going to take some time to work through these especially as I am away for the next couple of days. Hope to give you a considered response in the coming week. Dave

posted: 26 Nov 2017 18:53

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Dave,
I happened to notice a photo of an interlaced turnout at Gleneagles. If you have access to "Steam Days" it is on page five of the July edition. It's probably a Caledonian design but it was still there in July 1964 when photographed.
Andrew

posted: 28 Nov 2017 12:21

Dave Burman

Hi, Andrew thanks for the heads-up regarding the July edition of 'Steam Days', I'll try and locate a copy.

John, I am going to re-visit the plan taking account of your comments and the additional information from Richard Chown. I do have the NERA Pway Standards 1912 facsimile reproduction and I'm confident of the general arrangements insofar as the turnouts are concerned. This publication contains a full plan for a 1:8 single junction sleepered and a diagram showing the arrangement for 1:7 3/4 standard crossover sleepered. Where I think I have missed a trick is concentrating on evening out the sleeper spacings without regard to where the A, B, C, D, E, X and Y chairs would be accommodated. I need to look at this again. The single slip also needs re-thinking. I started from the premise that there wouldn't be any long or particularly heavy timbers for the track gang to contend with. I started with a 12" sleeper in the middle of the diamond flanked by (from memory) 4 14" sleepers on either side. After that when inserting separate sleepers for the diverging routes I chose 10" as the most likely size. This was only altered for the sleeper under the switch blade ends where again I used 14". This, however was on a sleeper that was at right angles to the running rails. The 1912 standards do show a timbered slip with this particular sleeper at right angles to the centre line of the diamond. To accommodate all the necessary chairs etc. this sleeper is 16" wide, a dimension I wasn't sure would be used in the early days. Having looked again at the attached photo I am now convinced that timbering on the slip was separate for each route but by and large arranged at right angles to the diamond crossing centre line. Back to the drawing board (it could be a while!). Thanks for your help.
Dave2127_280643_550000000.jpg2127_280643_550000000.jpg

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > Interlaced Trackwork
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020