Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3136Minor additional features in Templot
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Nov 2017 15:50

madscientist

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
These things may actually be there , but based on a lot of " templotting " recently , other people may have other ideas 
(a) I use " make the control " all the time , it would be useful to allow the mouse double-click options to have that feature , ( or expand the range of actions that can be assigned to " double click ")

(b) it would be nice to use the mouse to " release " a function , ( like length , roam etc ) , i.e. double click when the action is underway 
(c) The Delete key works when the control is selected , but needs " D" when its a background template , it would be useful if the delete key was more context sensitive ?

(d) Better support for multi button mouses , and gesture mouses , i.e. assign mouse features to templot actions 

This would allow things to be done without touching the keyboard , since I rarely use shortcuts ( except 'M") 

Last edited on 26 Nov 2017 15:53 by madscientist
posted: 26 Nov 2017 21:36

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
Would this not cause problems for people whom just have a basic mouse? I have a mouse with lots of bits I have never used.Also I don't seem to use double clicks with Linux.:)

posted: 27 Nov 2017 13:36

madscientist

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,
Would this not cause problems for people whom just have a basic mouse? I have a mouse with lots of bits I have never used.Also I don't seem to use double clicks with Linux.:)
No, because these features just exist for users of those mouses , others with simpler devices utilise the existing interfaces . The idea is to better utilise modern HID, while retaining the existing existing UI for those with simpler devices 
in fact an ability to customise the buttons on screen would be very useful 

posted: 27 Nov 2017 13:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Dave,

I tried a mouse with all those extra buttons, but I couldn't find any way to hold it without accidentally pressing one of them. It very quickly went to the back of the drawer, and as far as I know it is still there.

If you can suggest which actual gestures and buttons you want to use for what purpose, I will try to find out how to program them. At present I haven't the faintest idea. The mouse events currently supported by the compiler are left, right and middle buttons, and the wheel.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 14:25

madscientist

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Dave,

I tried a mouse with all those extra buttons, but I couldn't find any way to hold it without accidentally pressing one of them. It very quickly went to the back of the drawer, and as far as I know it is still there.

If you can suggest which actual gestures and buttons you want to use for what purpose, I will try to find out how to program them. At present I haven't the faintest idea. The mouse events currently supported by the compiler are left, right and middle buttons, and the wheel.

regards,

Martin.

I think I would rather you look at certain aspects of mouse usage that would apply to all mouse users 

please take these comments as wish lists , Im not asking for anything 

(a) Double click to make the control ( or programmable by user )

(b) potential for a context sensitive right click menu, with common functions that apply to the template so selected ( for example if there is  a turnout , that various adjustment options for turnouts would appear i the right click menu )

(c) User programmable buttons for common functions on the UI, for example I use adjust turnout road exit a lot, and control-f12 means removing my hand from the mouse , which makes everything slower, hence I usually access the menu instead , but its a two tier menu which is also slow. Would be better to allow the user to reprogramme a certain number of the current shortcut buttons to suit their specific needs, or add new buttons, as on big screens theres plenty of space 

(d) group select should be possible with just the mouse , its quite tedious on a large box file ,clicking and hitting G , what about the common Windows UI of holding down the CTRL key and then clicking each template as needed , Group is then selected as a action on the selected templates 
in general mouse and left hand keypresses are " OK" and common in many CAD packages etc. two handed entry disrupts mouse work 

( I have loads more small type suggestions if you like :thumb::thumb:) ( mind you I write software , small changes can have big code implications sometimes ) 

Dave 

Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 14:29 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 15:12

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
(a) Double click to make the control ( or programmable by user )
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your suggestions.

For me and many others, double-click is deprecated because it is the main cause of RSI.

However, you can already do single-click to make the control:

On the program panel dialog window, program > click-mode options > make-on-click mode. The top toolbar turns orange as a reminder that you are in this mode. Right-click on a template for its full menu.

If you like it, you will be one of the few users who do. Best of luck when you come to overlaying partial templates.

(b) potential for a context sensitive right click menu, with common functions that apply to the template so selected ( for example if there is a turnout , that various adjustment options for turnouts would appear i the right click menu )
Almost everything applies to turnout templates. The right-click menu would be yards long, or have just as many sub-menus as the top menu.

(c) ... means removing my hand from the mouse, which makes everything slower, hence I usually access the menu instead, but its a two tier menu which is also slow...
Templot is a hobby program. Time isn't money, so slow doesn't matter. Take your time. Relax. Have a break. Coffee?

Would be better to allow the user to reprogramme a certain number of the current shortcut buttons to suit their specific needs, or add new buttons, as on big screens there's plenty of space
If I knew everyone had a big screen there are lots of things I might do, including extra toolbars and programmable buttons. Unfortunately not everyone has a big screen.

(d) group select should be possible with just the mouse
You can already do this: group > create smaller group > click templates to/from group and then click on the name labels, not the full template.

However, most groups are created by dragging the fence around them ( 6th tool-button from top left).

( I have loads more small type suggestions if you like :thumb::thumb:)
Yes please. Thanks. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2017 20:03

madscientist

by the way , is there a written up piece on peg positions , I am doing up a handy " ready reckoner " for templot containing useful stuff , a section of hot keys ,peg positions etc

Templot is a hobby program. Time isn't money, so slow doesn't matter. Take your time. Relax. Have a break. Coffee?

8 hours solid Temploting, two layouts , The 0 Gauge one is killing me as every thing is dammed tight ! Hobby, I need to back to work to get a rest:D
Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 20:12 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 20:11

madscientist

or me and many others, double-click is deprecated because it is the main cause of RSI. However, you can already do single-click to make the control:

well single click isnt going to work,  RSI, 21st centrury man needs to  man up, Ive been infront of a PC since they were invented , double clicking away , ouch ouch 

3004_271509_440000000.png3004_271509_440000000.png
well on this right click menu , i use a single function , most are wasted or are rarely used  from template to template 

I know what , a user programmable right click menu to go along with a user programmable on screen short cut buttons 

Id think I was in Templot heaven then !!!:thumb: 
( hmm what would Templot heaven look like !!!, theres a strange one ) 

dave

Last edited on 27 Nov 2017 20:13 by madscientist
posted: 27 Nov 2017 20:23

Martin Wynne

madscientist wrote:
by the way , is there a written up piece on peg positions , I am doing up a handy " ready reckoner " for templot containing useful stuff , a section of hot keys ,peg positions etc
Hi Dave,

There is, but it's out-of-date like everything else, and currently not available while I'm doing a web site re-vamp.

I would rather folks stopped referring to the old stuff, because it doesn't fairly represent the current program. On the other hand I don't yet have anything finished to replace it...

I'm hoping to illustrate most things with short quickly-made FBR video clips. Hence the importance of getting the video viewing nailed once and for all. It works absolutely fine here on 3 different systems, which is what makes the reports of folks having problems so frustrating.

regards,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Minor additional features in Templot
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020