topic: 3156Printer maintenance for templates
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 Dec 2017 15:55

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have just been printing some templates, and noticed the rail lines were looking a bit wobbly. So I assumed my printer was wearing out.

But I thought it worth trying some of the built-in maintenance functions, such as "roller cleaning". I have never used that one before in the several years I have been using the printer. In fact I had forgotten such a function was available.

Result! :)

Rails now smooth lines again.

So next time you do some printing, a bit of "roller cleaning" first might work wonders. Especially before doing a printer calibration.

Printer is Canon MG7150.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 14 Dec 2017 18:14

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Yes, I can understand that dirty rollers may cause wobbly prints. Feed rollers in printers can get contaminated with paper dust and other debris over time which causes a lack of grip on the paper. It is quite common to clean feed rollers on laser printers if they cause misfeeds due to similar substances. Rollers are usually of two basic materials- either plain or ribbed rubber - or a much harder material with a sandpaper-like surface. The first type wears smooth and grip can be restored by rubbing with platten cleaner like this :-

Platten cleaner

the second type are more usually fitted on cheaper and/or inkjet printers and a toothbrush ( not your current one :( ) can be used ( either just dry or with a solvent that leaves no deposit )if you can reach the rollers.

You can of course do as you have done if the Maintenance tools allow it.....or buy new rollers....or a new printer.

Rob

posted: 15 Dec 2017 11:19

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Thanks for the tips, something I had not really considered. The maintenance tools on my HP Deskjet 120 only deal with the ink cartridges. However, I have had this printer for well over a decade now and not noticeably experienced the wobbly line problem, other problems yes, but on the whole, it has serve me well.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 15 Dec 2017 11:21 by Tony W
posted: 15 Dec 2017 12:18

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
The maintenance tools on my HP Deskjet 120 only deal with the ink cartridges. However, I have had this printer for well over a decade now and not noticeably experienced the wobbly line problem, other problems yes, but on the whole, it has serve me well.
Hi Tony,

I also have an HP Deskjet which I used for many years. It produced the most accurate templates of any printer I have used. Unfortunately I can't find a driver for it for Windows7 or Windows10. It also has an old style parallel printer cable, so would need an adaptor for USB.

Here's an enlarged scan of what I was seeing from the Canon printer before I used the roller cleaning function. You can see where all the rails have jumped sideways because of paper movement while printing:

2_150709_210000000.jpg2_150709_210000000.jpg

After roller cleaning it is much improved.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 Dec 2017 12:57

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Thanks for that info, Martin. I also have an MG7150, and thought the steps were just what the printer does. It hadn’t occurred to me that I could do something about it - much better now!

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Printer maintenance for templates
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020