topic: 3160Error in BeginDoc
author remove search highlighting

posted: 24 Dec 2017 15:10

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
When generating a PDF from Templot an error message comes up and the PDF fails  when re-using an existing filename. Original filenames work fine. Sometimes it manages two or more re-uses before failing, but usually fails on the first re-use. I don't remember this happening in the past.

Keith Armes

2116_241005_240000000.png2116_241005_240000000.png

posted: 24 Dec 2017 18:04

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Keith,

Thanks for reporting this.

I haven't been able to reproduce it, but it may be related to the actual file name(s) which you are using, or the path to it.

If you could post one of your full file names which is failing, I will try testing with it. i.e. the full path starting from the drive letter. Thanks.

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Dec 2017 19:06

KeithArmes

Hi Martin,

I'm using D:\TEMPLOT_DEV\PDF-FILES to store PDFs. This is the same path to a USB drive that I've used for some time. The OS is WIN10, but, of course, there have been several OS updates since I last used the PDF facility.

Regards,
Keith

posted: 24 Dec 2017 20:21

Martin Wynne

KeithArmes wrote:
I'm using D:\TEMPLOT_DEV\PDF-FILES\ to store PDFs.
Hi Keith,

Thanks.

What is the file name?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Dec 2017 20:37

KeithArmes

Sorry Martin, failed rule 1 of exams, READ THE QUESTION FULLY.  File names have included Test.pdf. The PDFs have usually included a background, but not always.

Regards,
Keith

posted: 24 Dec 2017 21:47

Martin Wynne

KeithArmes wrote:
Sorry Martin, failed rule 1 of exams, READ THE QUESTION FULLY.  File names have included Test.pdf. The PDFs have usually included a background, but not always.
Hi Keith,

Are you sure it was Test.pdf ?

Because Templot should have down-cased it to test.pdf.

The reason I'm asking these questions is because the only way I can see in the code for this error is some unusual/invalid characters in the file name or path.

I don't have access to the source code for the PDF engine, so I can't see why re-using a file name would cause any problem in the drawing routines. The only possibility is that the PDF virtual printer can't find or create the file.

You didn't by any chance have the old file open in a PDF reader while trying to overwrite it?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: posted: 24 Dec 2017 22:02

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin,

I just tried all variations I could think of when exporting a PDF and I can't get the error that Keith gets. Tried all variations of file names, different file locations and saving with a file name that is already open. HTH.

Rob

24 Dec 2017 22:02

KeithArmes

Hi Martin,

As you say, Test.pdf was translated to test.pdf.

But yes, I realise the original would have been open in a pdf reader when I tried to re-use the name. Just tried it, and closing the open file before re-using the filename fixes the problem.

Thanks for your help, Happy Christmas,
Keith

posted: 24 Dec 2017 22:09

Martin Wynne

KeithArmes wrote:
But yes, I realise the original would have been open in a pdf reader when I tried to re-use the name. Just tried it, and closing the open file before re-using the filename fixes the problem.
Hi Keith,

Thanks. I need to do something about that because as it stands it's a non-sensible error message. Thanks for finding it.

Happy Christmas,

Martin.

posted: 24 Dec 2017 22:12

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
I just tried all variations I could think of when exporting a PDF and I can't get the error that Keith gets. Tried all variations of file names, different file locations and saving with a file name that is already open. HTH.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for taking the trouble to do that.

Happy Christmas,

Martin.

posted: 25 Dec 2017 01:51

Martin Wynne

Ok, that's done:

2_242048_350000000.png2_242048_350000000.png

will be in 217b.

Also applies to PDF files exported from the sketchboard.

Thanks again for reporting it.

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Error in BeginDoc
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020