topic: 3187print box list as a csv/tsv
author remove search highlighting

posted: 17 Jan 2018 16:52

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Pretty much as the subject says, I'd like to import the box list into Excel, I'm guessing the easiest way would be either via CSV or TSV files.

I'll tried copying the text out of the generated PDF, but that all ends up in one column.

Thanks.

posted: 17 Jan 2018 21:36

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Richard,

Have you tried typing it in manually?

Not being a smart a***, but many years of building database sets and
excel lists have taught me that you can waste more time finding
automated system, getting it to work properly and
correcting any problems that show up than just doing the data entry
yourself. Especially for a small project.

Sincerely, Matt M.

posted: 17 Jan 2018 22:03

Andrew Barrowman

USA

Hi Richard,

If you google "pdf to excel" you'll find lots of programs that can do it. I've no idea if any of them are any good :)

Regards,
Andy

posted: 17 Jan 2018 22:59

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Richard,

Can you explain why you need it in Excel format? I may be able to add whatever is needed directly in Templot.

If you need to add notes about individual templates, they could be added in the existing memo function for each one, and there is also the new reminders function.

I will look at adding an editable/file option in addition to print and PDF. Also for the full box > print all template info options.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jan 2018 08:59

richard_t

Matt M: The Templot plan has 203 templates in it, so I don't want to enter all that data by hand.

Along with a few others I'm 3D printing chairs*, and I'd like to know the range of switches I've used in a plan, and the crossing angles. I thought it might be easier to keep track of this in Excel. I know it's not ideal as there are many partial templates, but I thought I'd be able to group them together.

The PDF has all the information I need in it.

Example render of one of my test sprues (different colours, are just for me to keep track):

499_180359_170000000.png499_180359_170000000.png

I have some printed by shapeways and fitted to rail, but they aren't painted so quite to hard to see.

* I don't know what's up with the rail I use (C&L HiHi Bullhead), but both the Exactoscale chairs, and Off the Rails don't seem to fit, specifically the key is too large and doesn't sit flush to the web. So I thought I'd give the little grey cells a poke, and do some 2D and 3D modelling...

Last edited on 18 Jan 2018 09:00 by richard_t
posted: 18 Jan 2018 10:13

Martin Wynne

richard_t wrote:
* I don't know what's up with the rail I use (C&L HiHi Bullhead), but both the Exactoscale chairs, and Off the Rails don't seem to fit, specifically the key is too large and doesn't sit flush to the web.
Hi Richard,

All model rail has the web thickness significantly overscale, and also the fillet radius under the head and foot.

4mm scale rail from SMP/Marcway is under scale width for the head and foot, but still overscale for the web thickness.

If you are talking 7mm scale, BS-95R bullhead scales to Code 131, not the Code 124 rail which everyone seems to supply.

If you make chairs and keys to match the prototype 95lb drawings, they won't fit in either scale.

p.s. the render looks great!

regards,

Martin.

posted: 18 Jan 2018 10:19

richard_t

Martin Wynne wrote:
richard_t wrote:
* I don't know what's up with the rail I use (C&L HiHi Bullhead), but both the Exactoscale chairs, and Off the Rails don't seem to fit, specifically the key is too large and doesn't sit flush to the web.
Hi Richard,

If you make chairs and keys to match the prototype 95lb drawings, they won't fit in either scale.

p.s. the render looks great!

regards,

Martin.

Hi

I've made the keys and chairs to match the rail I have. I'll see if I can't get a photograph at some point today (after clearing up from the storm last night :-(

Thanks for the nice comments on the renders...

Cheers

posted: 18 Jan 2018 11:42

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Richard,

Fair enough.

I currently am putting together two Excel listings with over 180,000 entries between them.
Each is broken up into 4,000 entry sheets for ease of handling.
For me it isn't the data entry that is slow, it is deciphering the various clerk's handwriting
in registers. Also they requires cross indexing of entries which chews up the time.

I take it that you want to use Excel to make a components list for all the formations
grouped by common crossings? If so it sounds like a useful idea.

I'm with Martin that the render looks fabulous. Look forward to seeing the results
when you have a chance.

Regards, Matt M.

posted: 18 Jan 2018 13:23

richard_t

As I thought they are difficult to photograph, and the shed is a bit cold for spray painting at the moment.

Looking at the Exactoscale L1 chair I wonder if the foot of the C&L rail is too thick for the chair, and it's pushing the top of the chair out (it's floating in air, as the mountboard the rail is on isn't flat):

499_180817_220000000.jpg499_180817_220000000.jpg

Here's an M1 chair from Shapeways, Frosted Extreme Detail:

499_180818_040000000.jpg499_180818_040000000.jpg

And finally a set of tweezer's for putting the keys in, Shapeways Brass "print" - plastic probably would have worked, but this was a Christmas present to myself:

499_180820_080000000.jpg499_180820_080000000.jpg

It makes my 3D modelling life easier, especially with more complex chairs, to have the keys separate.

posted: 18 Jan 2018 16:32

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Hi Richard.
I had suspected that the C&L rail was too wide due to wear in the die, but having recently measured some samples found the overall width correct. My suspicion now is that the foot of the rail is too deep or does not fit the profile of the cut-out for the foot as the foot depth does look slightly thicker than the earliest rail sections such as that supplied by Kings Cross Models of old.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 18 Jan 2018 20:19

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
       The prints look really impressive. :cool:Just a question. Have you thought about doing a length of key section that could be cut off after pushing in rather than fiddling with individual keys?
Best wishes
Trevor:)

posted: 20 Jan 2018 23:48

Martin Wynne

Hi Richard,

Exporting the box list directly to a CSV file turns out to be a lot of work. I'm going to leave it for now.

However, the list is generated internally as an HTML table, so in update 218c it will be exported after printing or creating a PDF file*, to:

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\PDF-FILES\box_list.html

You can open that in any text editor, e.g. Windows Notepad, to get the HTML code (or view it in your browser and view the page source).

There are lots of online programs which will convert HTML tables to CSV files or directly to Excel files, see for example:

http://www.convertcsv.com/html-table-to-csv.htm

Which should get you what you want after pasting in the HTML code. For best results, edit out the header and footer stuff, but leave the <TABLE> tags.

N.B. you must either print the list or create a PDF file first. Each time you do that, the box_list.html file will be overwritten. You don't need to open the PDF file if you don't want to, just open the containing folder.

Update 218c will be available shortly.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 21 Jan 2018 09:11

richard_t

Thanks Martin, that will be a great help.

posted: 21 Jan 2018 09:12

richard_t

Trevor Walling wrote:
Hello,

The prints look really impressive. :cool:Just a question. Have you thought about doing a length of key section that could be cut off after pushing in rather than fiddling with individual keys?

Best wishes

Trevor:)

I could, but I'd wonder how much more it would cost to do that. I might take a look with an example or two the next time I order some prints.

Thanks for the idea

Richard

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > print box list as a csv/tsv
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020