topic: 3190Norton blocking Templot Forum web pages
author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Jan 2018 18:24

polybear

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all,
I've heard of Norton being a pain with regard to the download of the Templot program, but I've been experiencing problems on the Templot Forum.  I get the following warning:

Dangerous Web Page Blocked
You attempted to access:
topic_1791
This is a known dangerous web page.It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page.

- when I ignore the message and choose to go the site it's ok, but then if I go from (for example) page 1 to page 2 of a particular discussion topic I'll get the warning again; ignoring it then takes me back to page 1, and not page 2.  And so the cycle continues......

Is there any fix to this please, perhaps a setting in Norton that teaches it that Templot is nice and friendly after all and that a certain proprietor isn't a mad axe-wielding rabid pyscho after all :D

Kind Regards,
Brian 

posted: 19 Jan 2018 19:00

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hello Brian,

You should be able to 'whitelist' or 'mark as safe' any web pages you trust on Norton. I haven't used it for many years so can't be specific.

A number of users of Templot( and the rest of the world ) are happy to run Windows with the Microsoft anti-virus etc rather than 3rd party add-ons. Buyer/user beware - works both ways of course.

Rob

posted: 19 Jan 2018 19:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

polybear wrote:
Is there any fix to this please
Hi Brian,

The fix is not to use Norton. :)

Why folks install at great expense these objectionable programs which prevent them using their own computer any way they choose is a mystery to me.

I suggest using the free security programs from Microsoft:

For Windows7: Microsoft Security Essentials.

For Windows10: Windows Defender (pre-installed).

Alternatively, an email to Norton asking them to explain exactly what they think is a threat on that page. And why no other anti-virus programs agree?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:04

polybear

Hi Martin/Rob,

Many thanks; I did consider using Windows Defender as it was pre-loaded on a new laptop, but after a bit of research decided that Norton offers some additional protection not offered by Defender.  And at twenty quid for a five-user licence (and some pc's/tablets don't run with Windows 10) it wasn't too high a price to pay.

Now the good news:  I submitted the problem to Norton and after a couple of days they came back with the following:

"We have manually analyzed the below domain and found it to be clean. So we have modified its rating to green in safeweb.norton.com".

- I can now access the Templot Forum without problem :thumb:

So it's official:  Martin isn't a Big Bad Wolf after all, more of a cuddly puppy :D

Brian

posted: 22 Jan 2018 19:14

Martin Wynne

polybear wrote:
"We have manually analyzed the below domain and found it to be clean. So we have modified its rating to green in safeweb.norton.com".
Thanks Brian.

Did the word "sorry" appear in their response?

Or maybe "We apologize for charging you good money for a program which can't tell the difference between a safe web site and a bad one" ?

:)

cuddly Martin.

posted: 23 Jan 2018 13:33

rodney_hills

United Kingdom

Brian,

Clues in the weasel words...
Standard modern scenario...
"Train" an "Engine[#]" to "analyze a domain.
When it produces an answer, take that as gospel..
Until some human challenges..
Vendor responses vary....
0. Our computer [#] must be correct
OR
1. We will get a human to look at this
~~~time~~~
Surprise, surprise, the "manual analysis" yielded the opposite outcome than that of the "machine[#] analysis".
Which latter was supposed to be an "expert system" programmed by a pro programmer, incorporating "rules" culled from a human "expert".

Aprops another neaby topic, is this the fate of Templot, in a post-Martin future?.

[# - words of diffent vintages, meaning much the same thing]

Regards,
Rodney Hills

posted: 23 Jan 2018 14:36

Martin Wynne

It seems all wrong that these anti-virus programs can seriously damage the reputation of a web site without any comeback for the site owner.

If I was relying on this web site to earn a living, having Norton incorrectly announce to the world that it is unsafe could put me out of business.

A user seeing that message could easily broadcast it across social media, after which there is no way on earth to get it removed.

Only recently, a different anti-virus program announced that the Templot program contains a "threat".

In each case, it was only because the user contacted them that it was corrected. So thanks for doing that -- but most users wouldn't bother, and those messages would still be on there.

Fortunately I'm not relying on Templot for anything. It's free, and folks can come here or not as they wish.

Martin.

posted: 23 Jan 2018 16:04

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Martin

I think that most of us on here that have recently had anti-virus problems of one sort of another have been using Templot and the same anti-virus program for years without any problems, it appears to be that the anti- virus programs have got more intrusive in the 6 or 12 months. I am getting fed up with the way that AVG keeps giving me grief when I want to update software that I have been using without problems for years and when it comes up for renewal, the can go whistle "Dixie".

Phil

posted: 23 Jan 2018 23:45

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
The various antivirus program companies are getting really desperate to justify their products. Microsoft's own free products do what is needed and are much more likely to be suitable without problems that using others brings.
Most if not all rely on instilling the fear factor in users to push what is basically a obsolete and redundant product as far as Microsoft windows is concerned.
I don't have such problems because I refuse to use Windows or the spurious security products that are being mis-sold to users who don't know any better.
Regards.:)

posted: 24 Jan 2018 11:54

John Palmer

To my way of thinking, the advantages or otherwise of particular anti-malware software  are currently of secondary importance to the nonsense we are seeing in the wake of the Meltdown/Spectre hoo-ha.

Parts of the IT industry are engaged in a headlong rush to issue patches that address the vulnerability and in the process apparently doing more harm than good.  See e.g. Woody Leonhard's piece in Computer World on the shortcomings in Intel's firmware patches: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3247788/computer-hardware/intel-says-new-firmware-patches-trigger-reboots-in-haswell-and-broadwell-systems.html.

Also his piece here: http://www.computerworld.com/article/3249767/microsoft-windows/patching-meltdown-windows-fixes-sloppy-net-warnings-about-word-and-outlook.html

posted: 24 Jan 2018 13:44

Stephen Freeman

Sandbach - United Kingdom

Are you sure it's not your web browser and or internet settings? To be sure 85a.co.uk is not a secure site as it doesn't have SSL. Unfortunately it is a fact of life that web browsers etc are getting more and more paranoid about this.

If you are using google chrome or Internet Explorer it's even worse. Furthermore Google are now downgrading sites that don't have SSL in favour of those that do, given time they might not even show up in any searches at all.

polybear wrote:
Hi all,
I've heard of Norton being a pain with regard to the download of the Templot program, but I've been experiencing problems on the Templot Forum.  I get the following warning:

Dangerous Web Page Blocked
You attempted to access:
topic_1791
This is a known dangerous web page.It is highly recommended that you do NOT visit this page.

- when I ignore the message and choose to go the site it's ok, but then if I go from (for example) page 1 to page 2 of a particular discussion topic I'll get the warning again; ignoring it then takes me back to page 1, and not page 2.  And so the cycle continues......

Is there any fix to this please, perhaps a setting in Norton that teaches it that Templot is nice and friendly after all and that a certain proprietor isn't a mad axe-wielding rabid pyscho after all :D

Kind Regards,
Brian 

posted: 24 Jan 2018 14:05

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
To be sure 85a.co.uk is not a secure site as it doesn't have SSL
Hi Stephen,

The login page is secure, see:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/login.php

2015-10-21-18-54-26-fe01d6.png2015-10-21-18-54-26-fe01d6.png : A grey lock with an orange triangle indicates that Firefox is not blocking insecure passive content. Attackers may be able to manipulate parts of the page, for example, by displaying misleading or inappropriate content, but they shouldn’t be able to steal your personal data from the site.

But exactly what sensitive personal data anyone is likely to be posting on here is a mystery to me. :?

My hat size is encrypted and hidden in the tandems code. :)

regards,

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 14:23

Stephen Freeman

True but if you don't go to the login page first it isn't encrypted.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 14:37

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
True but if you don't go to the login page first it isn't encrypted.
But there is no means to enter personal data on any other page.

The forum posts are public.

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 14:40

Stephen Freeman

Well yes, but that's not the point. It is very likely that in the near future Google will refuse to show the forum pages in searches, or indeed anything that isn't https.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 14:57

Martin Wynne

Borg-Rail wrote:
Well yes, but that's not the point. It is very likely that in the near future Google will refuse to show the forum pages in searches, or indeed anything that isn't https.
Hi Stephen,

https works fine on here:

secure link

I don't normally use it, otherwise posted URLs don't become clickable.

Martin.
Last edited on 24 Jan 2018 14:58 by Martin Wynne
posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:12

Stephen Freeman

A further issue for you if you click on my website link in the panel on the left it doesn't work, despite being perfectly valid. It works if you click on the link below :(
http://www.tracknsignals.co.uk/
Last edited on 24 Jan 2018 15:14 by Stephen Freeman
posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:18

Martin Wynne

Hi Stephen,

??? Which panel on the left? :?

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:19

Stephen Freeman

If you click on my user name to the left, you have 3 options, one of which is to visit my homepage

posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:47

Bruce A Wilson

Barrie - Ontario Canada

Stephen: It works for me running Firefox 56.0.1 on a Windows 7 Professional box on a server with Symantec protection
Last edited on 24 Jan 2018 15:47 by Bruce A Wilson
posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:49

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Borg-Rail wrote:
If you click on my user name to the left, you have 3 options, one of which is to visit my homepage
It worked for me. Are you sure it’s not your web browser and or internet settings? :?

posted: 24 Jan 2018 15:50

Stephen Freeman

No it was me I didn't put the the "s" in. Bet it doesn't work now!
Last edited on 24 Jan 2018 15:53 by Stephen Freeman
posted: 24 Jan 2018 17:39

Martin Dobbins

Memphis - Tennessee USA

Clicking on the visit homepage from your name doesn't work for me and I'm using Google Chrome.

However a Google search for "templot club" results in this site being the first "hit" Likewise a Google search for "tracknsignals" results in your website being the first "hit"

I'll try to keep this on topic of Norton by saying that many years ago I used Norton until it became such a behemoth that having malware wouldn't have made the machine run much slower. When I really DID need it, it didn't work. I was really glad to sever my relationship with that particular piece of software.

Martin

posted: 24 Jan 2018 19:40

John Palmer

A problem stemming from a malformed URL, perhaps?

http://https//www.tracknsignals.co.uk/ is the URL that appears on the profile page, and I am not surprised if that isn't working.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 20:02

Stephen Freeman

In that case it is a problem with the profile box, no sign of the problem http just what should be, which is not surprising  as I copied and pasted the url
John Palmer wrote:
A problem stemming from a malformed URL, perhaps?

http://https//www.tracknsignals.co.uk/ is the URL that appears on the profile page, and I am not surprised if that isn't working.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 20:22

Martin Wynne

This is a known problem in the forum software.

I'm too busy with the Templot Companion and videos at the moment to start working on the PHP forum code. It's been on my list to be fixed for ages, along with several similar. Like everything else around here, the forum software is very old. :(

In the meantime Stephen I have set up a redirect for you. This URL now links to your secure site:

http://85a.co.uk/borg-rail

Your profile link to your web site should now be working.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 24 Jan 2018 21:47

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Since Google took over Youtube I get a rude message instructing me to answer some questions. Since I refuse to do so, I can no longer watch their videos. You wonder why these companies get a bad reputation.
Regards
Tony.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Norton blocking Templot Forum web pages
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020