author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Feb 2018 08:46

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Rob Manchester wrote:
just that your excellent answers to user enquiries may be missed by people like me who don't monitor several different forums.
Hi Rob,

Here is a re-hash of some stuff I have posted here and elsewhere a few times. I will get all this into the Templot Companion eventually.

It is much easier to file a vee after assembling it. Even easier if you use a disc sander.

Below shows how a vee can be constructed to any angle matching the template, without needing filing jigs, and finishing with solid metal at the nose.

I have greatly exaggerated the crossing angle for clarity. The rails are shown in cross-section along the rail -- yellow shows the rail head and foot, orange shows the web of the rail:

2_060749_540000000.png2_060749_540000000.png

Make sure you have both rails the right way up. Bullhead rail has the thicker part at the top.

A is a prepared piece of rail with the end bent to the crossing angle, or slightly less. Allow a little extra on the overall length. Then file the end down to the web as shown to become the splice rail.

Make another one of the opposite hand as B, to become the point rail (nose). No need to file the end yet, but file a side notch in it to receive A as shown. The filing does not need to be very accurate.

C is any scrap bit of rail or etched kit waste, soldered on top of the rail for stability while handling. Unsolder or cut it off after installing the vee in the turnout, and then the surplus vee rail ends are trimmed back as required.

Assemble the vee rails as shown using a spare printed template as a guide. Double-stick tape can be used to hold the rails in place. Use high-temperature solder because the rail gets hot while sanding. Using high-temp solder also reduces the risk of it coming apart later if you are using soldered track construction.

Hold the assembled vee down on the edge of a small block of wood using a penny washer on top and a couple of screws. Stick a bit of printed template on the block as a guide:

2_181049_190000000.png2_181049_190000000.png

Adjust the fulcrum screw until it is a couple of thou higher than the rail. Check that the rail being sanded is held firm.

A penny washer is a large washer with a small hole. They are sold as backing washers for pop-rivets, fixing canvas, etc. If you don't have a penny washer to hand you could drill a hole in an old coin, or use something else.

Turn the vee round on the block to make the second cut.

The result is as shown after making two cuts on the sander. If necessary the bulk of the metal can be quickly removed with a coarse file or metal shears before finishing on the sander. Use a fine-grade sanding disc on the sander plate. If the vee gets too hot while sanding stop and dip the block in a bowl of cold water.

The end result is an accurately aligned vee comprised of solid rail at the nose. All that then remains is to fettle the running edges at the tip and blunt back the nose to the specified width as shown on the template (0.25mm/10 thou for bullhead in 4mm scale). It's a good idea to take a few thou off the top of the nose so that it dips down slightly below the wing rails. This allows for the coning angle on the wheels as they run off the wing rail onto the nose, producing smoother running. But don't overdo it.

N.B. Wear a mask while sanding and wash hands afterwards. The sandings will contain lead from the solder. Stick Elastoplast or tape on the ends of your fingers beforehand to protect them if they catch on the sanding disc.

Far East-quality disc sanders are available at lowish cost and very useful for many other workshop jobs:

sander1.jpgsander1.jpg

p.s. last week I noticed disc sanders currently on offer in Lidl at £29. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 19 Feb 2018 16:42

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin,

I see you are on the ball as usual :thumb:

Rob

Last edited on 19 Feb 2018 16:42 by Rob Manchester
posted: 21 Feb 2018 10:46

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Lidl disc sander video:

Martin.

posted: 21 Feb 2018 15:28

Mark Zagrodney

Ontario Canada

Thanks for this timely reminder, Martin. I mostly use frog castings but I have a irregular crossing to build that will be giving my file a workout.
Mark Z

posted: 21 Feb 2018 19:12

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the link to the Lidl disc sander video. If I didn't already have a Proxxon mini disc sander it would be a no-brainer at that price ( £30 ). The Proxxon cost nearly 3x that price a few years back. The only issue I have had with it has been that the self adhesive discs are a b****r to get off the machine if they have heated up a little too much but for how I use it the disc doesn't get changed very often. Best to rough out the shape or length with a file or saw and finish up with the sander.

It should be pointed out that you are only 'supposed' to use half the width of a sanding disc rather than either or both sides. The sander table provides proper support for the workpiece only when the work is being pushed downwards onto the table by the rotating disc. If sanding small items ( such as rail :) ) it is best to use a holder as you suggest as there is a gap between the sander table and disc that can trap them.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Making crossing vees
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020