click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
  looking for help ? -- -- --
looking for Templot? - (free)

enjoy using Templot? - 

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  SourceForge  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
521st message | this message only posted: 10 May 2020 19:55
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Go on, Martin. Lead an invasion and rescue us from the clueless idiots making a hash of things!

Nigel

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
522nd message | this message only posted: 10 May 2020 20:20
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Nigel,

First we need to get the gaps in Offa's Dyke repaired. :)

Martin.

523rd message | this message only posted: 14 May 2020 22:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Martin Wynne wrote:

In due course the tree will be in full leaf and the field will be bright yellow with rapeseed. Let's hope this whole dreadful business is no more than a memory by then.

Two months on, and yes it's in full leaf:

But no, this dreadful disease is far from over, and if anything more serious than we realised then.

The lockdown has sent a lot of new folks walking in the countryside -- many farmers are not happy to see crops being damaged and dogs off the lead around livestock. Hopefully the eased restrictions will send folks back to the usual beauty spots instead of their local fields. Here the farmer has carefully marked the line of public footpaths across his fields. As he is legally required to do, but most years doesn't bother just for me and a handful of others.

And no, not rapeseed this year. Rob 1, Martin 0. :)

cheers,

Martin.

524th message | this message only posted: 14 May 2020 22:59
Rob Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Pity I can't predict the lottery numbers too :( Did you take note of this years crop ?

Some farmers aren't too good at marking the footpaths across their fields, mind you in normal years many paths see little walking traffic. Failing a clear path being visible you can often get a clue as to the course of the path by looking out for stiles or gates on the other side of a field. A tree in the middle of a field often makes a good point to head to as they were often allowed to grow where walls used to exist that marked older and smaller fields.

If the field is fully sown and no path is visible I would usually take a route round the edges - on the high side of the field if in hilly ground  - less chance of churning up the mud and getting dirty boots.

Rob

525th message | this message only posted: 7 Jun 2020 08:36
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A blustery walk yesterday evening.

No doubt the fly tippers were thinking "this will add a bit of foreground interest to a photo". I've seen a lot of this lately. :(

But thankfully none looking back from there:

Martin.

526th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Another angler for Rob. :)

Neen Savage ford and weir, yesterday. SO 67490 77521

His eyes were on the fish, but mine were on the bench -- somewhere to eat my lunch (cheese & tomato sandwich, hard-boiled eggs).

Martin.

527th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 19:20
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin.

Hope he caught something. There have been a few incidents at that ford ( and many other ones ). One poor lady was washed away and killed in her car a few years back. The road surface across fords is often covered with algae and doesn't let your tyres grip to prevent the car sliding sideways.

There is quite a pull on the water even when the level isn't very high on the gauge, see here

Rob

528th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 20:56
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about that accident.

Here's the footbridge in 2009.

cheers,

Martin.

529th message | this message only posted: 23 Jun 2020 21:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the mill details. It was used for corn according to the 1883/4 map ( when it was also not in use ). Did you take any more photos of the building. Get in close next time you pass by and find out what is under the chimney stack :? Are the bricks just stretcher bond ? I can't see any headers on the uploaded photo.

Rob
Hi Rob,

The next time I passed by was yesterday. Not much chance of getting in close or counting bricks:

I don't mind climbing a fence, but I didn't have an axe with me. :)  Amazing to see the change in just 4 years. Of course being in full leaf compared with the previous winter pic makes a big difference. I will see if I can remember to pass by again next winter.

cheers,

Martin.

530th message | this message only posted: 24 Jun 2020 00:24
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Thanks for remembering my request on the old barn. It has changed but as you say the season has at lot to do with it. It has gained a new fence since too. I guess the 'danger' warning is in case the roof ( or the building ) falls down although it wouldn't have stopped me as a kid going to explore :D

Rob

531st message | this message only posted: 7 Jul 2020 21:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

A drizzly day today, but yesterday evening was nice. My walk took me past a fishery (Rob will be pleased). All manicured lakes and lawns. But not a soul about, so presumably still in lockdown.

And past a cottage garden, where they believe you can't have too many watering cans.

Martin.

532nd message | this message only posted: 8 Jul 2020 12:35
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Good pics, Martin. Been mainly wet here since yesterday, but Monday was a dry, pleasant day. Celebrated Covid restrictions being eased in Wales by visiting my favourite haunt on the west side of Pumlumon for a bit of a walk. Legs badly out of practice on uphill! Here's a pic:

Or rather there isn't! It hangs on Uploading please wait. Tried it last night and it did the same.

533rd message | this message only posted: 8 Jul 2020 12:40
Paul Boyd
Loughborough, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: Or rather there isn't! It hangs on Uploading please wait.
That just seems to be how it works these day - I find that if I just close the "uploading" window the picture is there in the gallery waiting for you.  It's presumably not how it should work!!
Cheers,
Paul

534th message | this message only posted: 8 Jul 2020 13:55
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Paul Boyd wrote:That just seems to be how it works these day - I find that if I just close the "uploading" window the picture is there in the gallery waiting for you.  It's presumably not how it should work!!
Hi Paul, Nigel,

No it isn't. Several users have been reporting this, but it was working fine here in Firefox. Until the latest Firefox update a couple of days ago. Now it's not working here either. :(

I will look into it. However, several weeks ago I did put a note below the button on the editor. Did anyone read it:

p.s. Nigel, I have inserted your pic. Great lighting. Now that the Wales restrictions have been removed, I'm just waiting for a nice day to get back in the hills. :)

cheers,

Martin.

535th message | this message only posted: 8 Jul 2020 17:21
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Yes, always nice to see a fishery, thanks.

I have seen the upload 'hanging' issue a couple of times. I am still on Firefox 60.0.1 though so not too sure if a recent update may be the issue. My system reports that the latest is 72.0.2

Rob

536th message | this message only posted: 8 Jul 2020 17:30
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Just tried the normal 'Upload new image for insertion' method and it doesn't work on my Firefox version, just hangs, however it does put the image into the Image Gallery.

Here is the same upload putting it in the Gallery first and then inserting existing image.

Rob

537th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 09:18
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Rob, Paul, Nigel.

I made some changes. The upload button is now working again, here at least (in Firefox):

This forum runs on 20-year-old code. It has always been rock-solid, so I've stuck with it. But the browsers keep changing so much that it can't last forever (a bit like Templot). :(

Sooner or later I am going to have to bite the bullet and attempt to migrate 20 years worth of database content into a new forum software. But not today. :)

cheers,

Martin. 

538th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 09:31
Paul Boyd
Loughborough, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
  Yes, it works!!!!  Certainly on Chrome, anyway!  Thanks for fixing it.

539th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 09:52
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Paul. :)

540th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 12:59
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks a lot, Martin. I've been working through my archive of film snaps, so in celebration here's one of my Torridon snaps taken in 1999. My faithfull Nikon F601, 35-70 lens and Kodak Gold 100 film.

541st message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 20:39
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Works here too :thumb:

Rob

542nd message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 21:16
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Thanks Rob.

Did you make that all by yourself? :)

Martin.

543rd message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 22:42
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Thanks Rob.

Did you make that all by yourself? :)

Martin.
Hi Martin,

Yes, with my left(wrong) hand :)

Rob

P.S. Some time ago you posted a pic for yourself with a Bridgeport mill. Which of your many vocations was happening at the time ?

544th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 22:57
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:P.S. Some time ago you posted a pic for yourself with a Bridgeport mill. Which of your many vocations was happening at the time ?Vocations or vacations?

Here's that pic again. It's from the early 1980s -- I don't look like that now. :)

Not sure what your question means? I didn't know I had a vocation, let alone several? :?

Martin.

545th message | this message only posted: 9 Jul 2020 23:45
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Just wondering why a picture of you had been taken next to the mill. Was it something to do with your work at the time ?

I doubt many of us look like we did 35 years ago. I certainly find it harder to get out of bed in the mornings :(

Rob

546th message | this message only posted: 10 Jul 2020 01:15
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: Just wondering why a picture of you had been taken next to the mill. Was it something to do with your work at the time ?Hi Rob,

Yes, we made a lot of precision tooling on that machine. Including turbine blades and other aerospace components for Rolls-Royce, also some medical hip-replacement implants.

We converted it to CNC control ourselves. We chose the best of the mills, replaced the table screws with zero-backlash ballscrews and fitted stepper motors. We also added a Z-drive to the head quill to create a full 3-axis machine. In effect 4-axis, because we retained the manual lift screw on the knee which made it much easier to set up.

I built the drive electronics and wrote the control software to drive the 3 steppers in sync. And the 3-D stuff for the cutters -- I tended to write a one-off program for each job we got in, rather than create a general do-anything control program.  But it was slow -- the processor was running at a mere 1MHz (as they did in those days), and the maximum feed rate was only 5"/min. Which didn't matter for the precision toolmaking work we were doing, but would have been hopeless as a production machine.

It was in full-time daily use for about 15 years. It's currently installed on a farm in Shropshire, but hasn't been used for several years. About 10 years after the photo was taken, it made most of the tooling for the 7mm Hunslet loco kit:

I don't know why Len took the photo. Probably no special reason -- he was a wedding photographer at weekends and often had his cameras with him. What I do know is that it was taken on a Monday morning -- our white coats didn't look like that by Friday. :)

cheers,

Martin.

547th message | this message only posted: 10 Jul 2020 21:00
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Thank you, very interesting. The Hunselet can still hold it's own even after 25 years. The Dapol/Heljan RTR stuff is bringing a lot of people into 7mm scale who wouldn't maybe want or be able to build for kits/scratch build - but some of the design compromises are a bit of a let down.

Rob

548th message | this message only posted: 10 Jul 2020 21:17
Trevor Walling
United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hello,
       Looking as young as ever Martin :cool:
Regards
Trevor :)

549th message | this message only posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:56
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Talking of old motors, I found this sad reminder:

I like the lions on the roof. At least I think they are lions. Llandrindod Wells, August 2016.

Martin.

550th message | this message only posted: 11 Jul 2020 04:12
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

p.s. Not so sad now. Two years later:

https://goo.gl/maps/kx4K5TUKdaJW1ubq9

It was quite an empire:

https://goo.gl/maps/E6vcCMUiwEEtbM2A7

Martin.

551st message | this message only posted: 11 Jul 2020 22:50
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

I can remember a number of car dealerships from the past ( no pictures though :( ).

Sir William Rootes did make the odd mistake though - like quoting that the VW Beetle wasn't suitable as a mass market car ! Long live the Hillman Imp.

Rob

552nd message | this message only posted: 12 Jul 2020 13:24
Judi R
Sutton-on-Sea, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
We should be thankful that the British motor manufactures didn't take on the VW Factory. They would have "improved" it and the car wouldn't have lasted 5 years.

Judi R

553rd message | this message only posted: 12 Jul 2020 20:39
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Judi R wrote: We should be thankful that the British motor manufactures didn't take on the VW Factory. They would have "improved" it and the car wouldn't have lasted 5 years.

Judi R
Indeed!  Shudder to think of British cars which had something of their own being replaced by monstrosities. Morris Minor being replaced by the Marina, for example.

Nigel

554th message | this message only posted: 12 Jul 2020 20:53
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel,
My first car was a Morris Marina :). It was 4 years old when I got it and it was rusting rapidly from both ends and the sills. But many happy weekends were spent replacing about 60% of the car and it went like a dream. It was the 2 door Super De-luxe model so it looked real cool with the vinyl roof. I did nearly 90,000 miles in it during the next 5 years before upgrading to a 1.8TC version with the MG B-series engine. The oil was all sludged up so I decided to put some flushing oil in and blast down the motorway - bad idea - the sump was nearly empty when I got home and the engine was blowing smoke from every gasket.

I loved ( not ) the torsion bar/lever arm shocks at the front and the cart springs at the rear - instant sea-sickness on a cobbled road :(

Oh for the memories.....

Rob

555th message | this message only posted: 12 Jul 2020 23:35
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
IIRC correctly the Minor used torsion springs at the front. The VW had torsion springs all round. The VW benefited because the torsion bars were all enclosed in tubes which made them much less likely to fail due to corrosion.
ab

556th message | this message only posted: 13 Jul 2020 01:04
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Rob

I knew somebody who had a Marina and kept a couple of concrete blocks in the boot. She said it improved comfort and handling no end!

Nigel

557th message | this message only posted: 13 Jul 2020 09:46
Graham Idle
Redhill, Surrey, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi,
As an aside to this thread they didn't just sell cars at this building, but aircraft as well.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-53353205

Regards, Graham
Martin Wynne wrote: p.s. Not so sad now. Two years later:

https://goo.gl/maps/kx4K5TUKdaJW1ubq9

It was quite an empire:

https://goo.gl/maps/E6vcCMUiwEEtbM2A7

Martin.

558th message | this message only posted: 13 Jul 2020 20:32
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Nigel Brown wrote: Rob

I knew somebody who had a Marina and kept a couple of concrete blocks in the boot. She said it improved comfort and handling no end!

Nigel
Nigel,

If you had done that with mine they would have fallen through onto the road :D

Rob

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 03:39 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020