click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
  looking for help ? -- -- --
looking for Templot? - (free)

enjoy using Templot? - 

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  SourceForge  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            Templot Chat Room
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
Templot web site

Fresh air and photos
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
561st message | this message only posted: 2 Sep 2020 19:31
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Martin Wynne wrote:Two months on, and yes it's in full leaf:

And now with the crop grown and harvested,

and Autumn clearly in the air.

The lighting is never the same twice:

The years roll on. That tree has seen them all, and will see a few more yet.

Martin.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
562nd message | this message only posted: 2 Sep 2020 20:36
John Lewis
Croydon, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin
Very nice!
What is the distant hill to the right of the tree in photo 2 (and 3), please?
John

563rd message | this message only posted: 2 Sep 2020 21:52
Rob Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
John Lewis wrote: Hi Martin
Very nice!
What is the distant hill to the right of the tree in photo 2 (and 3), please?
John
My guess is the Wrekin :)

Rob

564th message | this message only posted: 2 Sep 2020 22:00
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
John Lewis wrote: Very nice! What is the distant hill to the right of the tree in photo 2 (and 3), please?
Thanks John.

That's North Hill (1302ft) at Malvern, about 14 miles away:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Hill,_Malvern

We are looking almost due south at the northern end of the range of Malvern Hills -- here's the line of sight on the map:

https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/route/5984784/AstleyMalvern-Hills-line-of-sight

More about the Malvern Hills:

https://www.malvernhills.org.uk/

cheers,

Martin.

565th message | this message only posted: 2 Sep 2020 22:34
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote:My guess is the Wrekin :)

Hi Rob,

Brave guess. :)

The Wrekin is about 27 miles to the north-west. There's high ground west of Bewdley in the way, and even without that it would require exceptional visibility. It would also put the sun in the north-east, meaning I was out very early in the morning. :)

But it is 33 feet higher than North Hill.

cheers,

Martin.

566th message | this message only posted: 3 Sep 2020 00:02
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Rob Manchester wrote:My guess is the Wrekin :)

Hi Rob,

Brave guess. :)

The Wrekin is about 27 miles to the north-west. There's high ground west of Bewdley in the way, and even without that it would require exceptional visibility. It would also put the sun in the north-east, meaning I was out very early in the morning. :)

But it is 33 feet higher than North Hill.

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
Uh, my geography was a bit out then :(

I did look at the map after I posted and I thought it was a bit out of your territory to be up there apart from being in totally the wrong direction.

The paterns you get on fields always intrigue me. Previous crops sown in different directions and variable seed rates can show for several years afterwards. Maybe even the long forgotten pattern of old field boundaries before the farms went in for huge fields to make mechanised sowing and cropping more efficient.

Rob

567th message | this message only posted: 3 Sep 2020 00:21
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I suppose it's all a bit relative. My PC is allegedly sitting at 2227 feet ASL and about 100 feet above the surface of a biggish lake :)

Fortunately the Pacific stops it getting too cold here in the Winter but it's a different story a bit further East on the other side of the Rockies. I can assure you minus 35 (pretty much the same in C as F) is not a lot of fun.

Currently about 80F in my shop/shed but there is no cloud cover so it will cool down a lot overnight.

568th message | this message only posted: 22 Sep 2020 17:22
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

My walk in the Teme Valley yesterday took on a renewable energy theme.

Down on the farm.

High Point Solar Farm, with a capacity of 4.5MW from 14200 solar panels. More info and the live current output figures (not much at night):

https://electricityproduction.uk/plant/GBR0004701/

What struck me was the silence -- I can't imagine many ways of generating 4.5MW which allow you to hear the birdsong.

Less controversial at the planning stage was this:

Tetstill Mill, now using a water turbine to generate a more modest 14.4kW for residents in the village of Neen Sollars. More info:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2014/08/13/shropshire-village-now-producing-its-own-electricity/

Lunch with a view.

Hard-boiled eggs, oatcakes, cheese, Tetstill Farm.

I'm still very happy with the X100F, who needs a zoom lens when you can do this on the computer:

And a couple for the chocolate box.

Martin.

569th message | this message only posted: 22 Sep 2020 21:01
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,
Nice pics - thanks for posting them.

There is more money to be made by a farmer with fields full of solar panels than crops and livestock. Not sure how good the solar technology is at maintaining output on dull days though :(

Some ( all ? ) of the wind turbine farms are very noisy when you get close and it doesn't help the landscape photographer unless they are considered modern art.

How do you find the battery life of the Fuji. I don't use my original X100 much these days but despite buying new batteries it seems to run fine and then just dies when the batteries start to discharge much - which may be 100-150 shots.

Rob

570th message | this message only posted: 22 Sep 2020 22:32
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: Some ( all ? ) of the wind turbine farms are very noisy when you get close and it doesn't help the landscape photographer unless they are considered modern art.
Thanks Rob.

Anything with moving parts is bound to make a noise. I don't know how much power that farm was generating while I was there in the afternoon sunshine, but it certainly wasn't making any fuss about it -- I couldn't hear a thing.

I don't find the solar panels themselves too obtrusive, it's all the fences and warning signs which spoil the countryside for me. There are more and more of them everywhere, alongside the railway too, and no-one ever takes one down. They will go on increasing for ever. Presumably the sheep in these parts can read:

To be fair, they have planted some new hedgerows, but it will be a few years before they amount to much.

As a boy I was able to wander and explore anywhere -- I survived, and so did the countryside.

What is the environmental cost of making all those photo-voltaic cells? Maybe if they moved the rows of panels a bit further apart they could get a few rows of cabbages in between each row. :)

I haven't had any battery problems at all with the X100F and never think about it. Yesterday I took 249 images with no noticeable effect on the battery level. It recharged via the USB in about an hour after I used it to transfer the images.

The X100F has a higher battery voltage and capacity than the earlier models. But the way it's used does make a big difference. I mostly use only the optical viewfinder, flicking to the EVF only very occasionally, and I use the rear LCD only to check what I've taken. But if you record video or burst mode or use focus mode C it does hit the battery. Just using the EVF in preference to the OVF will also hit battery life.

cheers,

Martin.

571st message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 05:33
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Fresh air has been a rare commodity around here recently. We were stuck indoors for about a week trying to avoid the smoke from the fires that have been raging in California and Oregon. Reminded me a bit of the smog in the UK many moons ago.

We are fortunate to benefit form a substantial amount of hydroelectric generation here. The lakes are all around 2000 feet above sea level - lots of potential energy available. They'll start bypassing the turbines to lower the lake in a week or so to make room for the water as we move from the very dry season to the very wet season :)

572nd message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 07:18
Tony W
North Notts., United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin.
One problem with solar panels, as your photo clearly shows, is that very little grows underneath them, which can't be that environmentally friendly.
We have a growing number of them round here and from a distance it looks like we have a new lake.
Regards
Tony.

573rd message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 14:22
Nigel Brown

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Tony W wrote: Hi Martin.
One problem with solar panels, as your photo clearly shows, is that very little grows underneath them, which can't be that environmentally friendly.
We have a growing number of them round here and from a distance it looks like we have a new lake.
Regards
Tony.
One of the claims when solar panels first appeared was that the fields could still be used for grazing. They obviously hadn't thought it out!
Nigel

574th message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 15:44
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Nigel Brown wrote: Tony W wrote: Hi Martin.
Regards
Tony.
One of the claims when solar panels first appeared was that the fields could still be used for grazing. They obviously hadn't thought it out!
Nigel

Mushrooms?

575th message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 20:48
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
It might be possible to use them as greenhouses.

https://solarmagazine.com/solar-panels/transparent-solar-panels/

576th message | this message only posted: 23 Sep 2020 23:19
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Times have changed since we were kids roaming the land looking for somewhere to play. My mum of dad would have given me a good slap if I got caught tresspassing. These days the signs are there so if you do go where you shouldn't the land owners can at least cover their backsides.

Seeing as Tesla seems to be the only electric car company that makes any sense maybe the solar farms could offer some kind of charge facility so you at least have enough power to get home. If they had little heated panels at the end of each row you could fry an egg for lunch instead of taking boiled ones.

Thanks for the thoughts on the Fuji. I only use the optical finder ( surely one of the cameras biggest features ) and rarely change settings or 'chimp' though the memory card. I just found somebody selling 'proper' Fuji brand batteries for mine rather than cheapo ones so maybe I will shell out for one and see how it goes. Do you shoot in aperture priority mode ? I do and usually set F4 ( or stop down a bit if it is very bright ) on the lens and let the camera work out the shutter speed. The lens is marginally less impressive at F2-2.8 but I guess it depends what you are doing with the pictures.

Rob

577th message | this message only posted: 24 Sep 2020 00:08
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rob,

Yes aperture priority. But usually around F/8 - F/11 for better hyperfocal depth of field. Then if the speed is slower than about 1/125 I up the ISO as necessary -- I can't hand-hold as steady as I used to. I've got ISO on the front wheel for quick changes -- the top dial is a bit small without my reading glasses.

For exposure I mostly use AE bracketing at +/- 2/3rds of a stop. This is the lazy way out of doing careful metering, usually one of the 3 images is good. :)

At present I'm trying to fathom how the auto-ISO works with AE bracketing. In theory you can set auto-ISO to maintain a minimum (slowest) shutter speed, but the bracketing messes it up. I did have it working fine, but I can't remember how I did it. :?

cheers,

Martin.

578th message | this message only posted: 29 Sep 2020 19:33
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin,

Sorry, must have missed your last Fuji related post.

The Fuji manual for the X100F isn't much help on AE bracketing with Auto ISO as I just looked. I find the multi-pattern metering mode works pretty well if you stay away from beaches, snow and other difficult situations which is a little odd as the original Amateur Photographer test from way back in 2011 found that the camera could easily produce differing exposures is similar lighting conditions if you just recomposed a little.

The spot metering mode works quite well as long as you have the sense to meter off a suitable part of the scene and think carefully about the dyanamic range you are trying to capture. Think I will stick to multi-pattern with -1/3 compensation for general use - it works pretty well.

Rob

579th message | this message only posted: 29 Sep 2020 20:57
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: The Fuji manual for the X100F isn't much help on AE bracketing with Auto ISO as I just looked.

Hi Rob,

The chart on page 169 indicates that Auto ISO isn't available with bracketing. What it doesn't say is what ISO setting is used instead. It seems to go for 400 ISO for all three bracketed images when ISO is on A, although where that is set is a bit of a mystery.

It's puzzling, because I'm sure I found a setting which worked. And I can't see why it couldn't work -- do normal Auto ISO/min speed for the first image, keep ISO the same and adjust the shutter speed up and down for the next two.

I mostly use the Multi metering, although page 64 suggests that Average is good for landscape shots. When I've tried it, it has worked well. But not every shot is a landscape, and you can't change everything for every single shot. I suspect that using bracketing means that any differences between the metering modes (apart from Spot) are in effect cancelled out.

cheers,

Martin.

580th message | this message only posted: 10 Oct 2020 02:13
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

First hint of Autumn colours, a neatly trimmed hedgerow, new life at my feet. But a chill wind and leaden skies seemed to catch the national mood today.

This is the first time I've used Google's WebP "weppy" image format instead of JPG. A smaller file for faster download but with better image quality. Allegedly. But if you are viewing in Safari you will need the latest update to see it. Other browsers have supported the format for years.

Martin.

581st message | this message only posted: 10 Oct 2020 20:50
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

The image format needs the latest Firefox updates ( 72.0.2 ) with which it displays fine. Guess I should keep upto date :(

Rob

582nd message | this message only posted: 10 Oct 2020 21:51
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Rob Manchester wrote: The image format needs the latest Firefox updates ( 72.0.2 ) with which it displays fine. Guess I should keep upto date :(
Hi Rob,

??? That's not the latest, I'm on Firefox 81.0.1 :?

Weppy images have been working for ages here.

cheers,

Martin.

583rd message | this message only posted: 10 Oct 2020 22:26
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin,

My system says it is on 72.0.2 and claims to be upto date. Sometimes things like this don't always go up in one jump. Maybe I need a reboot :)

Rob

584th message | this message only posted: 10 Oct 2020 22:40
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Rob,

Are you on the Release Channel? This is what I'm seeing:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/81.0.1/releasenotes/

Firefox channels:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Update:Channels

cheers,

Martin.

585th message | this message only posted: 11 Oct 2020 00:02
Andrew Barrowman
USA

view images in gallery
view images as slides
81.0 here. Looks fine. Lasts a long time :)

586th message | this message only posted: 11 Oct 2020 22:21
Rob Manchester

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Martin Wynne wrote: Hi Rob,

Are you on the Release Channel? This is what I'm seeing:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/81.0.1/releasenotes/

Firefox channels:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Software_Update:Channels

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
Thanks for the Firefox channels. No, I am not on them. My system is now up to date with yours :) after switching on tonight.

Rob

This is topic ID = 3228     Page created at 01:47 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > Fresh air and photos
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020