author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Mar 2018 14:09

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Afternoon all,
Much has been written across the internet about timbering crossovers, but I cannot find the answer to this. So apologies if I've missed it.

Is it ever permissible to shorten a timber outside the running rail? It can't even be one super-long timber as they don't line up anyway.

One person has suggested this is possible and that the two timbers that had been cut like this would be secured together in the same way as when making one long timber out of two smaller ones. But I am not 100% certain he's right.

Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks

posted: 10 Mar 2018 14:45

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Derek,

Which rail? How close to the chair do you want to cut it?

If you mean cutting a timber very close to a chair, this would be frowned on in a running line rail. For a rail which is part of the crossover road, rather than the running line, it might be acceptable. If it is a slow speed area, such as a station throat or terminus it might be acceptable for any rail.

One might be acceptable, but several in a row not.

For goods-only lines the inspector might be less fussy.

For depots, yards and sidings anything goes which can be fixed with a big hammer.

A screenshot would help. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 10 Mar 2018 17:31

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Hello Martin

Thanks for the reply. Picture attached.

This is just supposed to be a small experiment for building rather than design, but I know I'd end up kicking myself if I don't do it right.

Many thanks.

posted: 10 Mar 2018 17:52

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Picture

NB, I accidentally started to upload a massive BMP file. I tried to stop it but it crashed the page. I hope I haven't done any harm to anything.
Attachment: attach_2654_3235_crossovertimbers.jpg     234

posted: 10 Mar 2018 18:22

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Derek,

No harm done. :)

p.s. Always use PNG format for screenshots. The file will be a lot smaller than JPG, and the image will be cleaner.

For your timbering, twist them a fraction into line:

2_101313_400000000.png2_101313_400000000.png

You can always do that provided you are still picking up the positions within an inch or so for the special crossing chairs.

They are not too long to be single long timbers, but if your stingy railway company won't pay, I suggest making half-spliced and bolted joints as above, staggered well away from the chairs.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 10 Mar 2018 18:46

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

What a Gent.

Thanks Martin. I really should have realised that there was a little room to play with on those timbers.

I have my boards, they're varnished and ready to go... Finally.

posted: 11 Mar 2018 09:06

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

It would appear that the French have different ideas when it comes to interaction between timbers in crossings. I was searching for similar information to Derek and came across this example. It's worth opening this link to get the full size photo and clicking it to get it blown up them use the scroll bars to move around it. It's quite different I think than anything one could see this side of the channel.

3137_110355_020000000.png3137_110355_020000000.png

I was searching for double track crossing timbering in Google and then in the images section but there are not very many pictures that are clear enough to see how the timbering is done. There are probably more pictures of people's models than there are of the real thing.

Fraser

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Crossover timbering
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020