author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Apr 2018 22:18

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,

The Storage box facility to add up the total length of timbering on all or some background templates is very useful. You can group some templates ( say the ones containing only plain track ) to sum the sleeper lengths but templates that have S&C work inserted are mixed between two widths - such as 3.3mm/10" and 4mm/12" on an EM or P4 plan.

Would it be possible in a future update ( ie not now or this week/month but when you have the inclination) to show the total lengths of plain track and turnout timbering as two figures rather than rolling them into one. This would help me ( and others ? ) in checking that sufficient materials are to hand before building comences. I realise that some scale/gauge layouts may have odd timber widths or combinations but I suspect the vast majority of plans drawn using Templot have either one width throughout or a standard plain track width/S&C width mix.

Thanks
Rob

posted: 19 Apr 2018 23:07

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
The Storage box facility to add up the total length of timbering on all or some background templates is very useful. You can group some templates ( say the ones containing only plain track ) to sum the sleeper lengths but templates that have S&C work inserted are mixed between two widths - such as 3.3mm/10" and 4mm/12" on an EM or P4 plan.
Hi Rob,

This is already on my list asked for by John (hayfield). It will be in a future update, but it can't be a precise figure because of timber shoving.

You can get the numbers you want now with a bit of lateral thinking:

1. save a backup restore file.

2. create a custom plain tack setting having the first sleeper further from the rail joint than the rail length. This will remove all plain track sleepers on a plain track or turnout template.

3. use modify group to match to set all templates to this.

4. the total timber length shown on the storage will be for the 12" timbering.

edit: 4a. click normalize templates, click through the dialogs which come up. The figures will then recalculate.

5. reload the backup file.

6. subtract the 12" timbering figure from the total to find the 10" sleepering figure.

Do you want a more detailed instructions recipe?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 19 Apr 2018 23:48

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the recipe. Just tried it and it doesn't work as written. As in :-

Start with no stored templates.
Control is plain track. Insert a turnout in it.
Store the control.
Go to storage box and look at total timbering length ( for my 900mm length of plain track with a B6 inserted this is 3388mm.)
Create custom plain track in slot one as suggested.
All plain track sleepers on control are no longer present.
Modify group to match - plain sleepers on stored template no longer present.
Go to storage box and total timbering length is still the same as above :?

If you delete the stored template and store the control the timbering figure then drops to 1280mm.

Which step is missing ?

Rob

posted: 20 Apr 2018 01:29

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Which step is missing ?
The one I forgot to mention. :(

Sorry.

4a. click normalize templates, click through the dialogs which come up. The figures should then recalculate:

2_192017_460000000.png2_192017_460000000.png

I knew there was a reason why I didn't follow up John's request in the last program update. This is another one of those things which look as if it ought to be simple, but isn't.

It will be necessary to do a full normalize every time this dialog is shown to be sure the figures are accurate. At present they can't be relied on. Sorry about that. I will fix this in the next update.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 20 Apr 2018 19:30

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for step 4a. That works just fine. If I had noticed the Normalize button I may have hit on the solution.

It will keep John and me happy if you do get round to having Templot automatically display the timber and sleeper totals as two numbers. No rush as theis method is fine.

Thanks again.
Rob

posted: 1 Mar 2020 16:32

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

hi all,i am just trying to work through this.
I can't understand "create a custom plain track setting having the first sleeper further from the rail joint than the rail length. This will remove all plain track sleepers on a plain track or turnout template."

or the further "Create custom plain track in slot one as suggested."

please, how do i do this step?

posted: 1 Mar 2020 18:33

Martin Wynne

ikcdab wrote:
I can't understand "create a custom plain track setting having the first sleeper further from the rail joint than the rail length. This will remove all plain track sleepers on a plain track or turnout template."

Hi (Ian?),

I will make a bit of video shortly showing that.

However, on a simple track plan there is an easier solution. For each turnout template, split off any approach and/or exit tracks as separate plain track templates. tools > make split > menu items.

Then on the storage box click the box > normalize all templates menu item.

Then you can group all the plain track templates in the track plan using:

2_011319_320000000.png2_011319_320000000.png

And the result in the cumulative data dialog will show the total plain track sleepering for the grouped templates, which you can subtract from the total for all templates to find the total turnout timbering.

There may be a case for a new function to split all approach and exit tracks in a track plan to separate plain track templates in one go. I've never noticed a need for such, but I will think about it.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Mar 2020 19:12

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

Hi Martin, thanks. I will try that, though it isn't a simple layout.
I wanted to avoid splitting things up too much, it just seemed better to keep things in bigger components.
Thanks again
Ian

posted: 1 Mar 2020 19:56

Martin Wynne

ikcdab wrote:
Hi Martin, thanks. I will try that, though it isn't a simple layout.
I wanted to avoid splitting things up too much, it just seemed better to keep things in bigger components.
Hi Ian,

Just save a box file before you do it, get the timbering lengths, then reload the saved box file.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Mar 2020 02:47

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
ikcdab wrote:

I will make a bit of video shortly showing that.
Hi Ian,

I have now made a video showing that process.

It's here:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=qowk_v1qYTGHwUYFkPDgzA2

When it pauses, read the notes and then click anywhere to continue.

If you click the Download link below the video, it should download in FBR format and open in the Templot Video Player, with much improved image quality.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 May 2020 02:48

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Would it be possible in a future update ( ie not now or this week/month but when you have the inclination) to show the total lengths of plain track and turnout timbering as two figures rather than rolling them into one.
Hi Rob,

This is now implemented in version 226a, see:

topic 3659

Sorry it took 2 years to get here. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 May 2020 23:20

Rob Manchester

Thanks Martin,

Look forward to making use of the improvement.

Rob

posted: 8 May 2020 18:15

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

This is excellent. Many thanks. Can you say what is actually being counted? Is it the timbers on point templates versus the timbers on plain track templates or does it differentiate by timber width? If I have a point template and give it a long approach, so thosse timbers count as plain track or turnout ones?
Last edited on 8 May 2020 18:52 by ikcdab
posted: 8 May 2020 19:23

Martin Wynne

ikcdab wrote:
This is excellent. Many thanks. Can you say what is actually being counted? Is it the timbers on point templates versus the timbers on plain track templates or does it differentiate by timber width? If I have a point template and give it a long approach, so those timbers count as plain track or turnout ones?
Hi,

Thanks. Approach and exit tracks count as plain track sleepers.

It's not based on width, but on the timber numbers. Timber numbers prefixed J, S, T, D, X, K are counted as pointwork timbers. All others are counted as plain track sleepers. The timber width settings are not relevant for this function.

Note that there is an option in the custom switches for the switch front J timbers to be ordinary sleepers in the prototype pre-grouping style. But they are always counted as pointwork timbers for this function.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 8 May 2020 19:40

ikcdab

Taunton - United Kingdom

Hi Martin that's very helpful, thank you.
Ian

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Total timbering lengths on trackplan
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020