topic: 3267Export a jpeg file
author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 May 2018 10:32

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I am trying to create a jpeg file of a track plan - done it many times before - but now the file is missing.
I create the jpeg from the output menu, option view in my usual viewer and the file is reported as moved or renamed. If I redo it and view in Templot viewer it shows the image BUT on exit the file cannot be found again.

Using TEMPLOT 2.19b Windows 10 Home Edition

I was going to attach the box file but would you believe Windows can't find that either! HELP!!!

Thanks

David

posted: 7 May 2018 11:50

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi David,

Assuming you left the defaults unchanged when you installed Templot, everything related to Templot is in the

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

folder.

Your box-files are in

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

and your image files are in

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\IMAGE-FILES\

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2018 12:33

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

3070_070730_590000000.jpg3070_070730_590000000.jpg

Hi Martin, The image above is from Windows File Explorer - the box file bmrc_test.box is not visible but it is when I use TEMPLOT - see attached.

I retried the export and sent the file to a different directory - that worked and I could find the image

I'm confused :)

David

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi David,

Assuming you left the defaults unchanged when you installed Templot, everything related to Templot is in the

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\

folder.

Your box-files are in

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\BOX-FILES\

and your image files are in

C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\IMAGE-FILES\

cheers,

Martin.

Attachment: attach_2672_3267_Templot_Open.jpg     148

posted: 7 May 2018 13:02

Martin Wynne

Hi David,

I give up. I have said over and over again NOT to install Templot in the Windows \Program Files\ folders. There is a note about it on the installer dialog:

2_281935_260000000.png2_281935_260000000.png

But folks keep on doing it:

2_070750_510000000.png2_070750_510000000.png

Now you seem to have your files mixed across two locations. It's very likely that if you navigate from there up to the C: folder and down directly to the TEMPLOT_DEV folder, you will find your missing files.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2018 13:27

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Hi Martin, OK,I see your instructions now however, 40+ years of dealing with software tells me NEVER install anything directly on the C: drive. I'll have to create a directory under the root to hold TEMPLOT.
Not only can I not see the files I created but Windows search can't find them either - that is a mystery.
Reinstall is indicated

Thanks and apologies for not following instructions

David

posted: 7 May 2018 13:52

Martin Wynne

rynd2it wrote:
Hi Martin, OK,I see your instructions now however, 40+ years of dealing with software tells me NEVER install anything directly on the C: drive.
Hi David,

Why not? I've been doing exactly that for 20+ years of Windows without any problems whatsoever.

But if you don't want to do that with Templot, you can put it anywhere else you like -- EXCEPT the Windows "Program Files" folders.

What's more, it means that Templot still installs and works on every version of Windows from Windows95 on.

But I also know NEVER to include a space in a file or folder name, and Windows does exactly that with its "Program Files" folders.

If Templot is finding your files obviously they do exist on your system somewhere. The storage box will tell you where:

2_070849_100000000.png2_070849_100000000.png

If the path is too long to fit, drag the box wider.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2018 15:57

rynd2it

Chabanais 16 - France

Hi Martin,
We were always taught that the root directory was for systems files only - it's actually a good rule for clarity and can prevent your files getting whacked if you have to reinstall the operating system. Probably irrelevant these days but old habits die hard.

Spaces in file names has been with us for years now but I share your concern with it, I always use an underscore or something to avoid it.

I reinstalled TEMPLOT, copied everything out of the various directories and put them in the new ones. Opened TEMPLOT and there was my box file in the old directory, but invisible to Windows. I opened it, resaved in the new directory and then deleted all the old installation. All is now working as it should

Thanks again

David
Martin Wynne wrote:
rynd2it wrote:
Hi Martin, OK,I see your instructions now however, 40+ years of dealing with software tells me NEVER install anything directly on the C: drive.
Hi David,

Why not? I've been doing exactly that for 20+ years of Windows without any problems whatsoever.

But if you don't want to do that with Templot, you can put it anywhere else you like -- EXCEPT the Windows "Program Files" folders.

What's more, it means that Templot still installs and works on every version of Windows from Windows95 on.

But I also know NEVER to include a space in a file or folder name, and Windows does exactly that with its "Program Files" folders.

If Templot is finding your files obviously they do exist on your system somewhere. The storage box will tell you where:

2_070849_100000000.png2_070849_100000000.png

If the path is too long to fit, drag the box wider.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2018 16:23

Martin Wynne

rynd2it wrote:
We were always taught that the root directory was for systems files only
Hi David,

I agree -- the operative word being files.

I can't see any objection to placing folders in the root directory. After all, that is exactly what Windows does with its "Program Files" folder and sub-folders.

But as I said, if you are not happy with that, you can put Templot anywhere else you like -- EXCEPT in those Windows "Program Files" folders.

There are still some old programs which can be borked by spaces in file names, including the Windows CHM Help viewer (an ancient buggy program from Windows98 which is even now still the current Help viewer in Windows10), and some low-level file access functions used by Templot.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2018 16:57

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Didn't there used to be a limit to the number of files you could store on the root directory, hence the recommendation to, as far as possible, create folders to store files. I don't know if that is still the case today, but certainly was in the days of MSDOS, pre Windows.

Jim.

posted: 7 May 2018 17:14

John Durbetaki

Gaston - Oregon USA

For NTFS you'll probably never hit the limit :: 2^32-1

For FAT32, you'll still probably never hit the limit either because you won't find anything :: 2^16-2

For floppies and the old MSDOS days, the limits were lower...

John

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Export a jpeg file
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020