topic: 3280Diamond crossing using Pandrol Clips
author remove search highlighting

posted: 5 Jun 2018 09:21

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
I have been asked to build a diamond crossing in flatbottom rail with Pandrol clips
It will use the Peco Pandrol clips (the person knows they are overscale) and that the crossing will be an impression or rather than a copy of. Brian Kirby has made a very good attempt on RMweb for a curved turnout

I have a few photos of a modern turnout, but none of a crossing, I have looked on Google and even Pandrol's own site without any luck. The areas most of interest are the common crossing, K crossing and check rails

As I said it will be an impression of rather than a copy of using the limited plastic parts available, I know Colin has some wonderful etches, but not going down that route 

Thanks in advance

posted: 5 Jun 2018 11:35

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi John,

The V-crossings in a diamond are exactly the same as in a turnout, so you are only looking for pictures of the K-crossings. If you Google "obtuse crossing" or "K-crossing" you may get more results. I found one with Pandrol clips here:

OBTUSE-CROSSING.jpgOBTUSE-CROSSING.jpg

Image linked from this site, which has several close-up pictures of track:

http://www.railwaysignallingconcepts.in/railway-signalling-switch-crossing-components/

Without chairs or keys in the rail web, the most noticeable feature of built-up (as opposed to cast) flat-bottom crossings is the number of spacer bolts and bolt-heads visible. Also the check rails for heavy-rail FB have machined flares rather than the bent ends for bullhead.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 5 Jun 2018 13:26

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Martin

As usual thanks, looks like the chairs are all Pandrol and for once using 0.5 mm copperclad strip to act as both spacers and functional gauge supports will be appropriate

posted: 7 Jun 2018 08:29

Hayfield

United Kingdom

I have received982_070328_190000000.jpg982_070328_190000000.jpg a reply from a nice chap at Pandrol, whilst some of the photos show amazing diamond formations there was one (photo attached) which showed a different type of chair on the inside of check rails (I have seen this on turnouts as well plus a plan showing the chairs around both common crossings in a 1-14 crossover 
Attachment: attach_2679_3280_230.JPG     206

posted: 7 Jun 2018 21:55

DM

United Kingdom

That will be for the inverted L shaped UIC check rails. the bolts holding the check rail to the chair can be packed out to allow for wear.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 18:04

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Very nice info and details pictures, exactly what i was looking for, especially for frog making.

posted: 20 Jun 2020 18:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Igor Kurgan wrote:
Very nice info and details pictures, exactly what i was looking for, especially for frog making.
Hi Igor,

Michael Davies uploaded over 100 detail photos of flat-bottom track, see:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery_view_slides.php?user=1679

http://85a.co.uk/forum/gallery_view.php?user=1679#gallery_top

If you click the link below them on the normal gallery view, you can see the original hi-resolution version, such as this (check rail chairs):

1679_261335_310000002.jpg1679_261335_310000002.jpg

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jun 2020 18:20

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

frogs
Attachment: attach_3097_3280_20200622_115823.jpg     78

posted: 22 Jun 2020 18:22

Igor Kurgan

Netherlands

Not the best material, i know, i am waiting for my sheet uv resistant extruded pvc
Best to all
Attachment: attach_3098_3280_20200622_115512.jpg     117

Templot Club > Forums > Prototype pics > Diamond crossing using Pandrol Clips
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020