topic: 3325Brimsdown
author remove search highlighting

posted: 10 Sep 2018 11:34

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
As some users of this forum may be aware, I have been running a thread on my current layout project Brimsdown, on the Scalefour society forum. For those of you that aren't, here is the link.
http://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5707
I have just posted the Box file there, but cannot post the background shapes to go with it, so I will post them here. Be aware that some of the files are quite large.
If you decide to copy any part of the trackwork for your own use, which you are quite welcome to do, please note that it is all to the S4X standard rather than P4.
Regards
Tony.

Attachment: attach_2729_3325_brimsdown_2018_06_15_1654_23.box     261

posted: 10 Sep 2018 11:35

Tony W

The Bgs file.
Attachment: attach_2730_3325_brimsdown_18_06_15_1655_10.bgs     203

posted: 10 Sep 2018 11:36

Tony W

And the sk81 file.
Attachment: attach_2731_3325_brimsdown_18_06_15_1655_10.sk81     222

posted: 10 Sep 2018 13:29

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Tony,

Wow. 599 templates. Couldn't you have managed one more? :)

You must have a lot of P4 stock to need such a massive fiddle yard?

For anyone looking round, it is easier to see the templates by toggling the background map on and off -- SHIFT+HOME keys.

I notice that most of the main line pointwork under the footbridge area has FB switches and machined check flares. Presumably you are intending to model that in flat-bottom rail? If you change to real > rails > head and foot (flat-bottom rails), you won't see anything different on the screen, but when printed the rails will have the foot lines on the templates. Which makes it a lot easier to align FB rail over the template. Set the width of the foot, and whether the rail is inclined (which moves the foot relative to the head) at real > rails > rail section data... .

Many thanks for posting it.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 10 Sep 2018 15:27

Tony W

Martin Wynne wrote:
Hi Tony,
I notice that most of the main line pointwork under the footbridge area has FB switches and machined check flares. Presumably you are intending to model that in flat-bottom rail?

Hi Martin.
Well spotted that man. One of the fun things about my chosen period (mid 1960s) was the growing use of flat-bottom rail, indeed it is possible to date some of the pictures I have acquired over years, with some degree of accuracy by how much of the track has been changed.
Although I have a fare amount of P4 stock, I do not have enough yet for the sequence I am aiming for, but one can never have too much siding space.
Regards
Tony.

posted: 10 Sep 2018 17:45

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Impressive Tony!

posted: 11 Sep 2018 00:34

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Very impressive plan Tony, well done. Templot tells me there is a scale 12.5 miles of track :)

Good luck with the build.

Rob

posted: 11 Sep 2018 17:16

Tony W

Rob Manchester wrote:
Templot tells me there is a scale 12.5 miles of track :)

Most of it in the storage yard sidings!
Tony.

posted: 11 Sep 2018 18:10

Rob Manchester

Tony,

Think of the storage yards as a bookshelf :(....

Each time you want a different book you put one back and grab another...

Rob

posted: 12 Oct 2018 23:10

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Tony
Have you shown anywhere what is "layout" and what is "fiddle yard". I don't know if I'm being very dense but just by looking at your plan  I'm finding it quite hard to decipher whats what. If I've missed your description on E4 forum please just point me in the right direction . 

Very good to meet you at Scaleforum and I'm sorry we didn't have more time to talk as I would have liked to know more about Brimsdown and its owner! 

Kind regards

Andrew

posted: 14 Oct 2018 08:40

Tony W

Hi Andrew.
Have you tried loading in the background shapes as this will make it obvious which side is which?
Or just download the SK81 file and view it as a picture.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 14 Oct 2018 08:42 by Tony W
posted: 14 Oct 2018 21:26

Rob Manchester

Andrew,
As you may have seen by now the station is the double track at the bottom of the plan. The majority of the trackwork is staging for trains awaiting their run through the station area.

Map is here

( Tony - hope you don't mind me jumping in :) )

Rob

posted: 14 Oct 2018 22:34

Tony W

Rob Manchester wrote:
Andrew,
As you may have seen by now the station is the double track at the bottom of the plan. The majority of the trackwork is staging for trains awaiting their run through the station area.

Map is here

Rob

Hi Rob.
Not at all.
My reply this morning was short of necessity as I was due to go out for the day.
If one draws a horizontal line across the plan just below the switch ends of the Tandem turnouts both sides, everything below this line is scenic and above is storage or fiddle yard.
I have actually purchased a digital copy of that map from NLS and the file is enormous, but the detail is something else.
The map I used for my background scan came from the OS 1965 survey at 1:1250 scale corroborated with an LNER 40ft plan I was lucky enough to obtain through the BR / OPC collaboration back in the 1980s, which unfortunately didn't last that long.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 14 Oct 2018 22:40 by Tony W
posted: 14 Oct 2018 23:33

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
Rob Manchester wrote:
Andrew,

Map is here

Rob
Hi Rob.

Not at all.

My reply this morning was short of necessity as I was due to go out for the day.

If one draws a horizontal line across the plan just below the switch ends of the Tandem turnouts both sides, everything below this line is scenic and above is storage or fiddle yard.

I have actually purchased a digital copy of that map from NLS and the file is enormous, but the detail is something else.

The map I used for my background scan came from the OS 1965 survey at 1:1250 scale corroborated with an LNER 40ft plan I was lucky enough to obtain through the BR / OPC collaboration back in the 1980s, which unfortunately didn't last that long.

Regards

Tony.
Thanks Tony and Rob,

When I looked at the map you referred me to, which for some reason I'd missed, the light began to dawn and since understanding the scene finishes at the tandems on both sides I'm much clearer.

Thanks again.

Andrew,

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020