topic: 3342A new trolley
author remove search highlighting

posted: 16 Oct 2018 22:59

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
 My adoring and patient partner of the last 26 years was beginning to make noises; no not about the “ Dali_esque” statue on the end of our dinning table.

2787_201843_250000000.jpg2787_201843_250000000.jpg

that you might more readily recognise as number 5 board of Yeovil Pen Mill, but about the clutter on top of my Ikea tool chest  that sat not far from the table. 

To be brutally honest it was getting to me a bit as well, as I never had the soldering iron, the DC controller, the  DCC power amp, the ZTC 511, the Resistance soldering stuff, the power amp for the Megapoints etc etc in the right place at the right time. It was a pain constantly juggling stuff around which I was finding very frustrating 
So when I said that I was building a trolley to put all this stuff on it was met with a smile and raised eyebrows. This I took as a good sign.

So I spent a happy few hours this weekend and last, quietly glueing together some pieces of wood with this “ new fangled polyurethane glue” which sets so quickly, and within fairly short order I had the bare bones of a trolley on which to put all my gubbins.  

“Would you paint it white to match the tool chest” she asked. Yes I said, and four coats later ( two of them rolled which gives a very classsy finish) it’s done and Babette said how lovely it looked. Marital harmony maintained and I’m happy as Larry with my new found friend on wheels. I just need to screw an eight socket extension to the back, plug everything in and I’ll be ready for anything. 

Here’s  a photo   

2787_161734_230000000.jpg2787_161734_230000000.jpg

Kind regards
Andrew

posted: 17 Oct 2018 07:18

DaveJ61

Northampton - United Kingdom

An entertaining and wonderful story Andrew, thank you. The trolley is a great idea and looks fantastic in white - hats off to you other half. I may have to copy that idea for myself.

Regards

David
Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 07:20 by DaveJ61
posted: 17 Oct 2018 09:26

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

DaveJ61 wrote:
An entertaining and wonderful story Andrew, thank you. The trolley is a great idea and looks fantastic in white - hats off to you other half. I may have to copy that idea for myself.

Regards

David
Thanks Dave that’s a heart warming response. Do post a picture of what you come up with your version of the trolley. It’s could start a new fashion!
Kind regards
Andrew

posted: 17 Oct 2018 09:45

d827kelly

Coventry - United Kingdom

Looks a nice trolley. Though looking at it after your mention of IKEA, made me think that the narrow Billy bookcase cut down to half height would provide something similar (though probably not as strong I suspect).

posted: 17 Oct 2018 10:41

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

d827kelly wrote:
Looks a nice trolley. Though looking at it after your mention of IKEA, made me think that the narrow Billy bookcase cut down to half height would provide something similar (though probably not as strong I suspect).
We have a couple of dozen Billy bookcases as they are great, although the prices have gone up since we got them. Normally only the top/bottom and centre shelf is screwed to the sides with the other ( adjustable ) shelves just losely supported on pins. The bolt 'n braces approach is to glue and screw all the shelves in :) - that assumes your needs for different shelf heights won't change over time. I used the single width bookcases for heavy book storage as the shelves on the double ones sag under the weight of heavy hardbacks - although not as much as most bookcases.

The answer to Andrew's original problem is to have a dedicated railway workshop ( another name for the third bedroom :D ) but his trolley idea is very good. I like coiled leads on soldering irons, mini drills and the like to, hopefully, reduce all the trailing cables a bit.

Rob

posted: 17 Oct 2018 11:53

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Thanks Kelly,

As to strength only time will tell wether mine is up to the job!

Kind regards

Andrew
Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 11:54 by Andrew Duncan
posted: 17 Oct 2018 12:00

Nigel Brown

Alas, chaos theory dictates that anything sensibly organised will get progressively disordered in time. There's all the top of your toolchest now available for clutter to populate.

I have a railway room where I used shelving from Shelfstore
http://www.shelvingsystem.co.uk/
to arrange shelving around two walls for the layout to sit on. Over the winter I completed the two baseboards to take the fiddle yard. No yard yet, but the baseboards have become unbelievably cluttered, an extension of the workbench.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 12:10

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Andrew Duncan wrote:

Andrew,

How heavy is your resistance soldering unit, please?

I fear my wife would want a door and a top fitted to one!

It does look good.

John

posted: 17 Oct 2018 13:19

Rob Manchester

Nigel Brown wrote:
Alas, chaos theory dictates that anything sensibly organised will get progressively disordered in time. There's all the top of your toolchest now available for clutter to populate.

I have a railway room where I used shelving from Shelfstore
http://www.shelvingsystem.co.uk/
to arrange shelving around two walls for the layout to sit on. Over the winter I completed the two baseboards to take the fiddle yard. No yard yet, but the baseboards have become unbelievably cluttered, an extension of the workbench.
Hi Nigel,
Shelfstore has a good reputation, I know a couple of people who have used it. Just did a price check to replace the shelving on one of my walls.

2001_170812_160000000.jpg2001_170812_160000000.jpg
That is for bay heights of 7' 7' 6' and 6' and bay widths of 2' 2' 3' and 2'. Seems expensive but you have more options on height, width and shelving quantities than Billy.

This is a bargain on offer now - racking - if you have bigger things to store,

Rob

posted: 17 Oct 2018 14:18

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Rob
The coiled cable idea sounds like it may have legs. You don’t find you have tools flying hither and thither as they wrench themselves out of your grip in an indecent haste to return from whence they came...?

Andrew

posted: 17 Oct 2018 14:30

Rob Manchester

Andrew,

Depends on how strong the coil on the cable is, how far you stretch it and how much the tool weighs. An even better solution ( although much more work is involved ) is a counterbalanced retractor on each tool so they hang above you and you pull them down to use. May be a bit too much for the dining room :D

Have you made any more progress on the layout ? Nice to see developments ( makes up for the lack of mine ... )

Rob

posted: 17 Oct 2018 14:36

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Alas, chaos theory dictates that anything sensibly organised will get progressively disordered in time
Ah chaos... an area which I hate and simultaneously feel very much at home in. Hate it because I can’t find anything. Love it because it was only in later life that I realise that “everything in its place and a place for everything” had any merit at all. 

But hang on I’ve not yet cleared the top of my tool chest. How can this be when I’ve already filled my new trolley? Somethings gone awfully awry here....

Thanks Nigel, loved your observations!
Andrew

Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 14:37 by Andrew Duncan
posted: 17 Oct 2018 14:56

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Andrew,

Depends on how strong the coil on the cable is, how far you stretch it and how much the tool weighs. An even better solution ( although much more work is involved ) is a counterbalanced retractor on each tool so they hang above you and you pull them down to use. May be a bit too much for the dining room :D

Have you made any more progress on the layout ? Nice to see developments ( makes up for the lack of mine ... )

Rob

Hello Rob
Love  the idea of the counterbalance but I think that maybe pushing it a tad too far as you say!

As to the layout not really. My plan is to build a couple of short extensions to each end of the board just finished, and extend all the roads by say a foot or so ( temporarily) to allow proper testing of this board. Then I’ll move onto the next baseboard which I think will be the one to the left ( south ) of this one. 

This should be a simpler build with only 6 or so turnouts and I’m going to try track wiring on the surface  along with some servos mounted above baseboard and just servo power below?  Thats the plan but its  only in my head at present, so I haven’t put it down on paper to see how practical it is?

Thanks for asking.

Andrew

posted: 17 Oct 2018 16:33

Tony W

North Notts. - United Kingdom

Chaos theory certainly seems prevalent round here. Any new horizontal surface (of which there are many) seems to disappear rapidly. I keep telling myself that with time as I gradually use the stockpile of materials acquired over time, that things will improve, but the reality is that, even with all the new cupboard storage I have, things only seem to get worse.
I also have a theory that random mini black holes exist that swallow items either never to be seen again or are magically regurgitated when one has given up looking for the item and then bought another one.
Regards
Tony.
Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 17:06 by Tony W
posted: 17 Oct 2018 18:08

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Tony W wrote:
Chaos theory certainly seems prevalent round here. Any new horizontal surface (of which there are many) seems to disappear rapidly. I keep telling myself that with time as I gradually use the stockpile of materials acquired over time, that things will improve, but the reality is that, even with all the new cupboard storage I have, things only seem to get worse.

I also have a theory that random mini black holes exist that swallow items either never to be seen again or are magically regurgitated when one has given up looking for the item and then bought another one.

Regards

Tony.

Tony

Thank the Lord they're mini ones otherwise we'd be in a right state.

Andrew
Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 18:17 by Andrew Duncan
posted: 17 Oct 2018 18:16

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

John Lewis wrote:
Andrew Duncan wrote:

Andrew,

How heavy is your resistance soldering unit, please?

I fear my wife would want a door and a top fitted to one!

It does look good.

John
Hello John
It’s funny you should say this, Babette said exactly the same thing, or rather she thought there’d be a door at any rate. Doesn’t she know how hard it is to fit a hand made cupboard door to a handmade cupboard with barely a right angle in sight. Only God and Ikea can do that. 

But to give her credit she volunteered, without prompting, how lovely it looked without a door after I’d built it and filled it. My sort of gal. 

The weight of the resistance soldering box is just under 3.5 kilos. 

Kind regards
Andrew

posted: 17 Oct 2018 18:33

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

The Shelfstore stuff looks very similar to IKEAs Ivar system.
Last edited on 17 Oct 2018 18:34 by richard_t
posted: 17 Oct 2018 18:44

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Andrew

Thank you for the weight of the resistance soldering unit.

Best wishes

John

posted: 30 Oct 2018 23:54

Rob Manchester

Hello Andrew,

Here is the kind of setup I was thinking of with hanging tools - saves taking up bench space although as you say it may be a bit OTT :D

2001_301852_420000000.jpg2001_301852_420000000.jpg
These are air powered.....

Rob

posted: 31 Oct 2018 04:20

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Here is the kind of setup I was thinking of with hanging tools - saves taking up bench space although as you say it may be a bit OTT :D

2001_301852_420000000.jpg2001_301852_420000000.jpg
These are air powered.....

Rob

Hello Rob

I look at this picture and it reminds me of Nigel talking about chaos theory the other day! 

I’ll talk to Babette about this idea of yours and see what reaction I get. Note here that I preparing you to take the blame. May I presume you’ve broad shoulders? Of course being a therapist, and a woman, she may see right through this subterfuge;we’ll see 😜

I’ll report back. 

Andrew

posted: 31 Oct 2018 04:32

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:

Rob

Rob
I never asked you what layout and how far you’ve got. I’d be interested to see pictures if you’re at that stage? 

Andrew

posted: 31 Oct 2018 04:48

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Hello Nigel,
It turns out that you were right! 

2787_302340_580000000.jpg2787_302340_580000000.jpg

I’m not surprised but I am disappointed. And a further confession,  it never did get completely cleared. I suppose it was inevitable....

Must try harder 😀
Andrew

posted: 31 Oct 2018 21:20

Rob Manchester

Andrew Duncan wrote:
Rob Manchester wrote:

Rob

Rob
I never asked you what layout and how far you’ve got. I’d be interested to see pictures if you’re at that stage? 

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for asking. No layout in progress at present. I am currently doing test builds of wagon kits ( adding etched compensation units and extra details ) to see what fits and looks good. Favorite on the layout agenda ( at the moment :) ) is a small south Wales goods yard in EM gauge. I am just working out how to letter the private owner wagons ( white text ). Letraset rub down lettering on decal film is looking reasonable at present as trying to rub them down on wagon strapping isn't easy. I have a few nice Hornby/Bachmann locos to convert to EM and add sound decoders - 42XX, 56XX, 58XX and panniers - which should cover the loco stud.

What about a dome shaped top for the trolley ? Every thing would just slide off.....

Rob

Rob

posted: 1 Nov 2018 22:56

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Andrew Duncan wrote:
Rob Manchester wrote:

Rob

Rob

Andrew
Hi Andrew,
Thanks for asking. No layout in progress at present. I am currently doing test builds of wagon kits ( adding etched compensation units and extra details ) to see what fits and looks good. Favorite on the layout agenda ( at the moment :) ) is a small south Wales goods yard in EM gauge. I am just working out how to letter the private owner wagons ( white text ). Letraset rub down lettering on decal film is looking reasonable at present as trying to rub them down on wagon strapping isn't easy. I have a few nice Hornby/Bachmann locos to convert to EM and add sound decoders - 42XX, 56XX, 58XX and panniers - which should cover the loco stud.

What about a dome shaped top for the trolley ? Every thing would just slide off.....

Rob
Hello Rob
A curved top to my trolley, a simple and obvious solution really. Why did I not think of that, obviously I don’t think outside the box enough!

So South Wales, a real location or a might have been and what era? I suppose the 56xx were relatively modern locos build after the 1st world war were they? I’ve not really paid them much attention as they never seemed to venture outside the valleys and certainly not down the Weymouth line.  I can’t think what the 58xx were at all I’m ashamed to say.  The 42xx are lovely engines I think. I’ve an old Cotswold one that I built years ago and with a Mashima 1830 in a cast body it’ll pull the side out of a house. 

And panniers I’m e real sucker for, Ive a 57xxwhich was the first chassis I built ever successfully with a  Bachman body, but sadly now too early for my chosen period. I’ve  three wills 1854’s one of them converted to an 1813 class, a couple of Pannier Buffalos and a yet to be built saddle tank version. Lastly a couple of 1850 (?) with the 4’1” wheels. All barring the one in the video, yet to be converted to EM. Let’s hope it’s worth the effort!

I’d be interested not know how you get on converting them. 

Kind regards 
Andrew

posted: 2 Nov 2018 00:22

Rob Manchester

Hello Andrew,

Sounds like you have the GWR in your blood. I must admit to being very bored by the tender engines they made with the exception of the Dean and Collet ones. Tank engines are different all together though. The praries and panniers are instantly GWR in design. The 58XX was an 0-4-2T ( think of an 14XX auto fitted tank pulling an autotrailer ) and were popular and useful on lighter loaded routes. The Hornby 42XX is a lovely model - back in the 70's I made a Keyser kit of one which I sadly lost at some point. I am on the lookout for a 72XX 2-8-2T - maybe sunday at the local toyfair ? I have soft spots for Midland Deeley and Johnson types and the Great Eastern/M&GN types have always appealed - J15 0-6-0 and tender on the Laxfield branch is a classic. Too many things to do and so little time :(

EM conversions and fairly simple on recent Hornby/Bachmann etc but just taking up the extra sideplay with washers doesn't totally sit right with me. Overlays on the original chassis is one answer but the work is much more involved of course. I used to model in P4 but if you change you mind on prototype and want to sell surplus stock the market is very small.

Rob

posted: 3 Nov 2018 23:50

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Sounds like you have the GWR in your blood. I must admit to being very bored by the tender engines they made with the exception of the Dean and Collet ones. Tank engines are different all together though. The praries and panniers are instantly GWR in design. The 58XX was an 0-4-2T ( think of an 14XX auto fitted tank pulling an autotrailer ) and were popular and useful on lighter loaded routes. The Hornby 42XX is a lovely model - back in the 70's I made a Keyser kit of one which I sadly lost at some point. I am on the lookout for a 72XX 2-8-2T - maybe sunday at the local toyfair ? I have soft spots for Midland Deeley and Johnson types and the Great Eastern/M&GN types have always appealed - J15 0-6-0 and tender on the Laxfield branch is a classic. Too many things to do and so little time :(

EM conversions and fairly simple on recent Hornby/Bachmann etc but just taking up the extra sideplay with washers doesn't totally sit right with me. Overlays on the original chassis is one answer but the work is much more involved of course. I used to model in P4 but if you change you mind on prototype and want to sell surplus stock the market is very small.

Rob

Hello Rob
Thanks for your interesting reply. 

For my part I started this little essay ( Maiden Newton and Yeovil Pen Mill in 00 ) in 2002 and at that point the period I chose was the mid 1930’s. As time went on I became more and more interested in earlier periods partly because there was more interesting rolling stock ( earlier Dean engines and coaches although the latter had the big drawback of some frightening lining and colour schemes) and partly because as time went on my building abilities increased and under Iain Rice’s guidance I found I could build smooth running chassis which was very exciting! 

So a whole new world of prototypes in the form of kits from Wills, Cotswold, Blacksmith etc expanded my horizons. Eventually  I dared to try my brass making skills on a Finney curved frame Bulldog and then a Mitchell 43xx. Nothing I enjoy more than building a loco! 

So all of this preamble is to say I agree with you on the Dean engines; the Dean goods being a particular favourite. I am however rather fond of the Chuchward engines and Moguls in particular. Rather handily Malcom Mitchell includes a second cab and firebox in his kit. As the real weak point of the Mainline / Bachman Mogul ( of which I have two ) is the firebox being about 25% too wide I managed to chop all this out of one of my Moguls and insert the Mitchell alternative instead. Its the one shown a few pages back on this thread . And although it doesn’t look anything special at present ( unpainted) I think when finished and it should be hard to tell it from the Mitchell model. 

The 58xx of course! the Collett version of the 516 class ( if I’ve got the number correct) attractive engines both. 

Well another loose heel switch calls before bed I think. Hope to have a bit more to report tomorrow. Thanks again for telling me a bit of your modelling background. 

Kind regards
Andrew

posted: 4 Nov 2018 21:57

Rob Manchester

Hello Andrew,

Wow, anybody with the skills to build the Malcolm Mitchell kits should get a medal :thumb: You have my respect.

I tend to stick to converted RTR locos although I like to build rolling stock from kits. The Toy Fair today didn't produce a 72XX - the green ones are in short supply. I did buy a Bachmann 2251 which looks nice in green even though people seem to complain about the mould line atop the boiler - the real loco had a join in the boiler cladding which actually produced a groove rather than a seam. The wheels are reckoned to be undersize but I can check that out when buying the wheels for conversion and see if the splashers can be thinned down a little. Also purchased a nice little Midland 1F open cab from Bachmann - love these little locos. Nice sunny day and six mile walk with dog rounded it off nicely.

Rob

posted: 4 Nov 2018 22:59

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Wow, anybody with the skills to build the Malcolm Mitchell kits should get a medal :thumb: You have my respect.

I tend to stick to converted RTR locos although I like to build rolling stock from kits. The Toy Fair today didn't produce a 72XX - the green ones are in short supply. I did buy a Bachmann 2251 which looks nice in green even though people seem to complain about the mould line atop the boiler - the real loco had a join in the boiler cladding which actually produced a groove rather than a seam. The wheels are reckoned to be undersize but I can check that out when buying the wheels for conversion and see if the splashers can be thinned down a little. Also purchased a nice little Midland 1F open cab from Bachmann - love these little locos. Nice sunny day and six mile walk with dog rounded it off nicely.

Rob
Hello Rob

That sounds like an extremely pleasant day out. I'm not familiar with the Midland 1F but I assume its a tank loco and on the wee side and yes an open cab on a tank engine is a very appealing look. Thanks for the compliment about the Mitchell kit but infact it was easier than the Finney (partly prototype) and in fact both these paragons are very well thought out and, if one is tempted to follow the instructions, then a very nice model results. They just take a long time!

If you need another Collett Goods then let me know as I have one going spare (another casualty of changing period ) and a Collett Hall with the frames sticking out above the running plate, LMS like, ditto.

Incidentally when I referred to 516 class yesterday, I actually meant 517 class, another beautiful small tank engine. I think my 2251 had a seam showing on the top of boiler which I dealt with, with Swan Morton blade I seem to remember. I didn't know they had a join in the cladding on top; fairly easy to remedy I suppose? Shame about the 72xx, you could always get a black one and spray it...!

Kind regards

Andrew

Last edited on 4 Nov 2018 23:01 by Andrew Duncan
posted: 4 Nov 2018 23:36

Rob Manchester

Andrew,
Thanks for the offer, think I will stick with just the one 2251 for now. A respray is a good plan which I have done on a number of locos in the past but paying top dollar for new/nearly new model doesn't make a lot of sense to me if it is going to require lots of work. Locos are expensive to get finished with the base price plus wheels plus sound decoder. Depends if you factor in your time as well......

517 class, yes nice. Looking through books there are some great looking locos in GWR green.

Rob

posted: 4 Nov 2018 23:58

Nigel Brown

Can vouch for the Mitchell locomotives. Frightening when you first open the box, but very well thought out and they go together nicely. Built a couple in 3mm/ft:

Manor

528_041852_030000000.jpg528_041852_030000000.jpg

528_041852_520000000.jpg528_041852_520000000.jpg

528_041855_470000000.jpg528_041855_470000000.jpg

The 517 was actually the harder; tight clearances. The Manor still needs tender brakes, and for some reason I think the cylinders have come out a bit low. I've still a 43XX and a Castle to build.

Nigel

posted: 5 Nov 2018 00:12

Rob Manchester

Nigel,
Nice work on the locos. I think I lack the long term concentration skills for loco building like this, my bench is usually full of lots of little projects so I can skip around depending on my mood ( and my latest purchase ).

Do you happen to know how many of the 2251 class had water pick-up facilities fitted to the tender ? The Bachmann one I have is quoted as being with 'City Tender' and has the water pick-up chute present ( but no gauge on the tender front ).

Rob

posted: 5 Nov 2018 00:29

Nigel Brown

Rob Manchester wrote:
Nigel,
Nice work on the locos. I think I lack the long term concentration skills for loco building like this, my bench is usually full of lots of little projects so I can skip around depending on my mood ( and my latest purchase ).

Do you happen to know how many of the 2251 class had water pick-up facilities fitted to the tender ? The Bachmann one I have is quoted as being with 'City Tender' and has the water pick-up chute present ( but no gauge on the tender front ).

Rob

Rob

I'm rather the same; at the moment I'm snowed under with projects! Which is why the 43XX and Castle haven't been built. At some point I have faith there will be a breather, when I can give them a bash.

I'm not sure about this but I have a feeling that from the 1930s nearly all GWR tenders had the water scoop. Might be wrong.

Nigel

posted: 5 Nov 2018 00:37

Rob Manchester

Thanks Nigel,

I assume the tenders on the 2251 classed as 'City' were from scrapped 37XX locos which were surplus about the time the 2251's started to be built. As the 37XX was an express class it is certainly possible that water pick-up would have been fitted.

Andrew, better make sure your signalling is up to scratch. Quote from Wikipedia - "On 8 August 1913, locomotive No. 3710 City of Bath overran signals and was in a rear-end collision with a passenger train at Yeovil Pen Mill station, Somerset. Two people were killed."

Rob

posted: 6 Nov 2018 06:17

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Nigel 
Very nice locos and the 517 is a real beauty. I’ve yet to convert mine to EM. As it’s Gibson kit with a cast footplate I’ve a feel it’s going to be a challenge !

As to height of the cylinders on the Manor, might it be the body that’s the merest tad too high? I think from memory that another way to check is that the cylinders should be dead in line with axel centres? If you have the relevant RCTS book that will probably tell you. Let me know if you don’t and I’ll check my copy. 

I’ll look forward to seeing the 43xx take shape when you get a breather, such a lovely everyday sort of engine, it would be good to see a blow by blow account if you felt so inclined? It’s wandering a long way from track building so I’m not sure if it’s appropriate for this forum, but maybe if I can talk about  my dining room and modelling paraphernalia, then you can also get away with it! 

Thanks for posting the photos, good to see them. 

Kind regards 
Andrew 

posted: 6 Nov 2018 06:46

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Thanks Nigel,

I assume the tenders on the 2251 classed as 'City' were from scrapped 37XX locos which were surplus about the time the 2251's started to be built. As the 37XX was an express class it is certainly possible that water pick-up would have been fitted.

Andrew, better make sure your signalling is up to scratch. Quote from Wikipedia - "On 8 August 1913, locomotive No. 3710 City of Bath overran signals and was in a rear-end collision with a passenger train at Yeovil Pen Mill station, Somerset. Two people were killed."

Rob

Hello Rob
Do you know I’ve never really thought about the water scoops and whether they were present or not but your logic is probably sound as the City tenders had to have had them. 

As to signalling I shall do my best to avoid any more deaths. I’ve been thinking quite a lot about the operating mechanism for them and found an awe inspiring thread on RMweb called Leeds City the Midland side. On pages 7&8 he shows some pictures of how he makes signals that appear to be servo operated, are self contained and just plug into the baseboard. And the other day I found some really wee digital servos that would make the mechanism quite compact and at the same time adjustable on the work bench so that when installed on the layout there’s no fiddling about under the baseboards. Plug and play! Fantastic!

Kind regards 
Andrew

posted: 7 Nov 2018 23:00

Nigel Brown

Andrew Duncan wrote: 
As to height of the cylinders on the Manor, might it be the body that’s the merest tad too high? I think from memory that another way to check is that the cylinders should be dead in line with axel centres? If you have the relevant RCTS book that will probably tell you. Let me know if you don’t and I’ll check my copy.
Hi Andrew, thanks for the comments. Yep the Manor cylinders were in line with the driver centres, although earlier GWR two-cylinder outside cylinder locos had them slightly above. On mine they're just a tad below. I actually think the cylinders are OK, but the motion bracket, not really visible on the model because it's black, was fixed in a slot in the chassis from below, and it may not have been properly bedded in so it's pulling the slidebars down just a bit.

Nigel

posted: 11 Nov 2018 23:41

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Nigel
Just to show that it was completely clear once in its life, here is my chest of drawers, sans clutter. We had a bread making class at home yesterday, something that Babette teaches occasionally and so the whole place has to be spic and span. It’s been known for us to admit to each other that the only time our house is in such a state is half an hour before one of her classes.  A day or so later and its all back to normal...

But today I managed to keep it clear and I took this photo at about 11pm. Impressive I hope you’ll agree. 
Andrew

2787_111828_120000000.jpg2787_111828_120000000.jpg

posted: 12 Nov 2018 00:26

Nigel Brown

Impressed! I've reached the stage where things have ground to a halt because of clutter, so a massive tidy up is going on. All the stuff resting on the layout because that was the most convenient place to put them have been shifted. The workbench has been thinned by about a third; another third and that should do it.

Nigel
Last edited on 12 Nov 2018 00:27 by Nigel Brown
posted: 12 Nov 2018 01:15

Rob Manchester

Hello Andrew D,

Very tidy, well done. Where did you get the 6-drawer unit next to the trolley ? I have a very similar one, minus the castors, that came from Ikea a few years back and is very good for rolling stock storage after I lined the drawer bottoms with some soft material. Last time I looked Ikea didn't seem to list them anymore.

Rob

Last edited on 12 Nov 2018 18:36 by Rob Manchester
posted: 12 Nov 2018 01:25

Andrew Barrowman

USA

I won't be posting any pics of my workspace. No siree!

posted: 12 Nov 2018 01:29

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
Nor me. :)

Martin.

posted: 12 Nov 2018 12:10

Nigel Brown

About 4 years ago there was a massive reorganisation, of what had been a bedroom used as a storeroom and model railway workshop, into a dedicated railway room, with both the layout and the workshop. To get a rare glimpse of a tidy space I took a few pics. Here's a couple before the layout itself was installed:

528_120707_050000000.jpg528_120707_050000000.jpg

528_120707_480000000.jpg528_120707_480000000.jpg

And here's one slightly later with the layout as it was installed:

528_120709_130000000.jpg528_120709_130000000.jpg

It is of course nothing like that now!

Nigel

posted: 12 Nov 2018 12:22

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

That's very impressive indeed Nigel.

Lets see what its really like now, not so much to gloat , as make myself (and possibly others?) feel better...?

Andrew
Last edited on 12 Nov 2018 12:23 by Andrew Duncan
posted: 12 Nov 2018 13:17

richard_t

Nr. Spalding, South Holland - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Very tidy, well done. Where did you get the 6-drawer unit next to the trolley ? I have a very similar one, minus the castors, that came from Ikea a few years back and is very good for rolling stock storage after I lined the drawer bottoms with some soft material. Last time I looked Ikea didn't seem to list them anymore.

Rob

It looks like it's this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-art-40196241/

posted: 12 Nov 2018 18:23

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

richard_t wrote:
Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,

Rob

It looks like it's this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/storage-furniture/drawer-units-storage-cabinets/alex-drawer-unit-on-castors-white-art-40196241/
Thanks for the link Richard, 

Hello Rob

I could well imagine that it would be ideal for stock storage with its shallow drawers. And it’s  pretty good for tools, electrics and track building stuff all of which gets stored in it at the moment. 

I bought mine a year or so ago and its really useful having the castors, as it makes so easy to pull towards me even when sitting down, rather like my new trolley! It’s one downside is that the drawer runners dont allow the drawers to fully open which  can be a frustration. In fact the runners engage in slots in the sides of the drawers and I’ve left them otherwise unscrewed so that if I do need to get to the very back of a draw I can yank it out a bit further. I suppose I could put longer draw runners on it to improve matters...?

When I get bored one day perhaps?

Andrew

posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:12

Rob Manchester

Richard,

Yes, thanks. That is it. Mine is black which maybe why I didn't spot it on Ikea as that doesn't seem to be a current colour. Mine was a lot cheaper than that but I have had it probably 7 or 8 years.

Andrew,
I made sure to put the drawer securing screws in place. I can imagine what would happen to the drawers otherwise :(. I took my castors off as it was to be in a fixed location - funnily enough I came across 4 castors last week and couldn't fathom what they had been on, now I know.

I will post a pic of my ( small ) bench next time it is tidy, just to prove I don't model in an armchair :D

Rob

posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:35

Nigel Brown

Andrew Duncan wrote:

Lets see what its really like now, not so much to gloat , as make myself (and possibly others?) feel better...?

Andrew
Certainly Andrew :D

528_121534_140000000.jpg528_121534_140000000.jpg

528_121534_520000000.jpg528_121534_520000000.jpg

These were taken after the layout, desk and floor had been tidied up ....

Nigel

posted: 12 Nov 2018 20:43

Rob Manchester

Nigel,

Getting ready for the next layout ? - I spot a Walthers HO scale box ( and some Athearn ) under the workbench :D

Rob

Last edited on 12 Nov 2018 21:21 by Rob Manchester
posted: 12 Nov 2018 23:34

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Andrew Barrowman wrote:
Hello Andy

Look at it this way. If it’s chaos incarnate, then you’ve made everyone else feel better about theirs. If it’s a picture then we’ll know never to trust a man who can print his own track....good lord whatever next?

Andrew

posted: 12 Nov 2018 23:51

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Nigel Brown wrote:
Andrew Duncan wrote:

Andrew
Certainly Andrew :D

528_121534_140000000.jpg528_121534_140000000.jpg

These were taken after the layout, desk and floor had been tidied up ....

Nigel
Hello Nigel
That’s a very acceptable level of order I’d say. Isn’t it funny how we have quite large benches and all the work takes place in about six square inches of space right on the edge where small bits fly off or drop on the floor never to be seen again. We’re a strange breed. 

Incidentally I rather covet your vice (in an earlier pictures) which looks as though it could do contortions quite readily and in doing so get anything to any angle you desired? Is it as good as it looks?

Andrew

posted: 13 Nov 2018 00:50

Nigel Brown

Walthers, Athearn, Proto 2000, Atlas, .... you name it! It's an old layout. When I started getting seriously stuck into 3mm/ft, as nearly everything had to be built I realised it was going to take some time to get anywhere, and a lot of time experimenting with things was needed. So I dived into U.S. HO for some light entertainment, while I pursued the 3mm stuff at leisure. Did what I was looking for; here's a couple of pics:

528_121938_500000000.jpg528_121938_500000000.jpg

528_121939_260000000.jpg528_121939_260000000.jpg

I got a lot out of it, it was the first layout I made a proper go of, and it taught me a lot. One was that I didn't like trains buried out of sight. Another was that if you can't readily access your point motors and one of them fails you're stuck! The first half of the layout was a success but the second half didn't really fit in. The time came when I'd got everything out of it I wanted to, and it was dismantled in preparation for my developing 3mm stuff.

The vice is Proxxon. It's reasonably good; it attaches to the bench by suction, but they also do one with a clamp which may be a better idea. Like most Proxxon stuff it's well made. You can have things at different angles.

Nigel

posted: 13 Nov 2018 01:05

Rob Manchester

Hi Nigel,

Thanks very much for the US pics. The UP SD7 drifting down is excellent - one of my favorite locos. I know what you mean about point motors - been there.

I love the way US modellers have it easy - no need to choose between 3-link or Jackson/Spratt&Winkle couplers as you just use KD's and you are good to go. No messing about with wagon springing or compensation. Don't even get me started on the many lovely craftsman building kits that have been available.

Proxxon stuff is good although the machines have gone very expensive the last few years. I have the disc sander and the mini circular saw and both are excellent.

Rob

posted: 13 Nov 2018 17:41

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

While we are on the subject of US practice, what is the diameter of the wheels on modern US freight cars, please?

Martin has got me watching some US trains and the wheels look very small.

John

posted: 13 Nov 2018 17:50

Rob Manchester

John Lewis wrote:
While we are on the subject of US practice, what is the diameter of the wheels on modern US freight cars, please?

Martin has got me watching some US trains and the wheels look very small.

John
Hi John,
Traditionally 33" has been the standard US freight wagon wheel size. 36" wheels are used on some heavy duty cars such as hoppers. A smaller 28" size is often used on cars that carry a tall load such as double stack container wagons to help get the base of the wagon frame as low as possible.

The wheels can look small as some of the cars are rather large, compared to british practice.

Rob

Last edited on 13 Nov 2018 17:51 by Rob Manchester
posted: 13 Nov 2018 18:50

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Thanks, Rob

John

posted: 13 Nov 2018 23:57

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

The rot has started....Sorry about the weird angle

2787_131851_310000000.jpg2787_131851_310000000.jpg

Templot Club > Forums > Share and show > A new trolley
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020