http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwgw6c606x0

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 20:42

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Looking hot and dusty now with overhead sun at mid-day, CA time.

At 8am this morning (4pm UK) the low morning sun was lighting up a dramatic landscape, with several trains stationary and backing up.

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 22:07

Charles Orr

Leicester - United Kingdom

I visit this site regularly.

There are some incredibly long trains.

Charles

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:09

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Hi NMartin

When I click on the url you gave earlier I get a view on hilly/mountainous country at West Cable, Tehachapi. But I have not seen a train or the railway. Am I doing something wrong? There seem to be at least a couple of roads in the foreground and a busy freeway in the middle distance.

John

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:40

Matt M.

Australia

HI John,

It is a live feed. You only see what is going on at that moment.

Regards, Matt M.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:44

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

John Lewis wrote:
Hi NMartin

When I click on the url you gave earlier I get a view on hilly/mountainous country at West Cable, Tehachapi. But I have not seen a train or the railway. Am I doing something wrong? There seem to be at least a couple of roads in the foreground and a busy freeway in the middle distance.

John
John,
It was a live feed but is currently a 'normal' video. You can move the time slider at the bottom and watch the estimated train time to catch a glance of one of the 'big trains'. Slide over to about 17:30 into the video.
Rob

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:48

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote:
Hi NMartin

John
Hi John,

The "roads" in the foreground are in fact a double-track railway.

If you haven't done so, click the "full-screen" icon at the bottom right of the video: [  ].

It's a wide landscape view, maybe you need a larger screen?

When I posted the link, there was a constant stream of very long freight trains through the scene, after one of them had been stationary across the scene for about 2 hours. Causing following trains to back up one after another. It was also in very atmospheric early morning low sunlight. Right now the scene is empty and boring.

Tomorrow I will try again around 4pm UK time and post a screenshot.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:55

Matt M.

Australia

Hi Rob,

I have to admit I've given up on moving the slider around on long videos.
It takes forever to sort itself out and the loading circle is annoying.
Internet connection here is average.

Matt M.

posted: 17 Oct 2018 23:58

Rob Manchester

John,
As you may note the gradient is downhill to the left of the screen - hence the trucks moving left to right on the freeway are much slower paced. The trains moving downhill are using the dynamic brakes to keep the speed down to a safe level - those are heavy trains! Dynamic brakes use the axle traction motors to brake the train and dump the power into big resistor grids which are in turn cooled by roof mounted fans. If it were an electrified railroad the power generated could be fed back to power other trains.

Rob

posted: 18 Oct 2018 00:15

Rob Manchester

Charles Orr wrote:
I visit this site regularly.

There are some incredibly long trains.

Charles
Hi Charles,

Listening to the train radio one of the uphill trains is reported as being 14570 and 8817 on the length. That is 14,750 tons and 8,817 feet long - that is a lot of train. They have lay-by sidings to take the whole length of the trains in case of issues with a locomotive or freight car.

Rob

posted: 18 Oct 2018 16:51

Martin Wynne

Martin Wynne wrote:
Tomorrow I will try again around 4pm UK time and post a screenshot.
Here are some screenshots from today's morning sunlight train show:

tehachapi3_1280x640.jpgtehachapi3_1280x640.jpg

tehachapi1_1280x852.jpgtehachapi1_1280x852.jpg

tehachapi2_1280x860.jpgtehachapi2_1280x860.jpg

tehachapi4_1280x636.jpgtehachapi4_1280x636.jpg

Sorry, I don't know what copyright to attribute on these. Captured from YouTube.

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2018 21:08

John Lewis

Croydon - United Kingdom

Thanks very much to Martin and Rob for explaining what I was looking at. I did wonder ifI was looking at the railroad, but thought it was too winding to be one. This mornings screen shots were really impressive, thank you Martin, I must watch at 4pm tomorrow.

The 'Live' camera is a video again, I foud the train at O:57 and teo more 1:54 and at 2:32. The last was a long stacked container train with 3 locos on the front and two more apparantly banking at the rear. It took about 8 minutes to pass (up hill)!

After my posting, I was inspired to try and find the scene on Google Earth. I eventually found Cable, Kern County, but could not work out where the camera was looking at. However, having identified the railroad, I realised just how winding it was.

Thank you again

John

posted: 18 Oct 2018 21:22

Rob Manchester

John,

You will like this video - here - trains are speeded up a bit in some scenes to save us getting bored. Looks rather like a plan from a Model Railroaders book :)

Rob

posted: 18 Oct 2018 21:36

John Durbetaki

Gaston - Oregon USA

Another site says the camera is located at:

The camera is located on the west side of Cable in Tehachapi, approximately 6 miles east of the Tehachapi Loop, 35 miles east of Bakersfield (Tehachapi Loop and Bakersfield are to the left of the video image) and 20 miles west of Mojave (Downtown Tehachapi and Mojave are to the right of the video image).

From GoogleEarth, you can find Cable, CA and then zoom out a little and you can find Tehachapi, Bakersfield, and Mojave. The view, I think is at about 35.172 , -118.478

posted: 18 Oct 2018 22:01

Martin Wynne

John Lewis wrote:
After my posting, I was inspired to try and find the scene on Google Earth. I eventually found Cable, Kern County, but could not work out where the camera was looking at. However, having identified the railroad, I realised just how winding it was.
Hi John,

Here's my entry in the competition: :)

tehachapi_camera.jpgtehachapi_camera.jpg

Given the line of trees, and the need for the sun to rise in the east, I think the camera is in the building ringed.

I have now realised that the double-track becomes single just before the bridge -- which explains why westbound trains often wait there, conveniently sitting across the entire view.

Here it is on OSM:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/35.16944/-118.47628

Here are the Google links:

aerial:

http://www.google.co.uk/maps/@35.1691339,-118.4763625,914m/data=!3m1!1e3

streetview of camera location:

http://goo.gl/maps/1V74KinntQT2

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2018 22:29

Martin Wynne

John Durbetaki wrote:
The view, I think is at about 35.172 , -118.478
Hi John,

I think we agree. :)

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2018 22:39

Rob Manchester

Martin Wynne wrote:
I have now realised that the double-track becomes single just before the bridge -- which explains why westbound trains often wait there, conveniently sitting across the entire view.
It is actually a single track line. The double track you see in the picture is a passing siding. The line is run by Union Pacific who kindly allows BNSF ( Burlington Northern Santa Fe ) to run there trains over it for a small payment. I don't think there are any other major railroads left operating in the area after all the mergers of the past 40 years.

Rob

posted: 18 Oct 2018 22:57

Martin Wynne

Thanks Rob.

That drone video of the spiral is amazing. :)

Here is an OSM editor view, with contours:

tehachapi_camera.pngtehachapi_camera.png

The blue/white chain-dashed line following the railway is a local authority boundary (Golden Hills).

The diagonal red line is marked California High Speed Rail (proposed).

(The arbitrary zig-zag yellow line/border on the left is someone's idea of the limits of the residential area.)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 18 Oct 2018 23:56

Rob Manchester

Martin,

Many of the locos seen on the videos are GE C44-9W diesels rated at 4400hp each. BNSF has over 1500 of them :? I think you could say that freight on the rails is pretty big business in the US.

While I find the big railroads good to watch my layouts are more likely to be of this kind of prototype. You will know Tim Warris of course.

Rob

posted: 19 Oct 2018 08:43

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

During my holiday to the States in September, a large number of the multiple headed freights had locos from more than one company and one triple header had locos from 3 different companies including CP. That was in the Chicago area.

Phil

posted: 21 Oct 2018 01:52

Martin Wynne

And at the end of the day:

tehachapi5_1280x708jpg.jpgtehachapi5_1280x708jpg.jpg

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Off track > 8am in sunny California if you watch right now
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020