author remove search highlighting

posted: 19 Jan 2019 00:58

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello all,

After the announcement that the EMGS are offering RTR EM gauge plain track and turnouts is there any scope for developments similar to that offered for a long time by Tillig in Germany. As well as RTR turnouts they produce turnout kits in HO and TT gauge that are made with flexible moulded bases which give some scope for 'bending' the design to fit within a trackplan or produce more prototypical formations.

2001_181949_260000000.jpg2001_181949_260000000.jpg
The above is an example. I have a catalogue from a few years ago and the instructions mention bending the base and heating with hot air to keep it in place while the rails are threaded :?

Not sure how practicable this would be for EM turnout production. The bases are injection moulded but if a sufficiently flexible material could be found they may be suitable for 3D printing :)

Rob

posted: 19 Jan 2019 08:45

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Hello Rob

Do the Tillig ones really work is my first thought? Have you used them yourself?

Interesting idea as it would be really nice to be able to lay point work that is all on, say gentle flowing curve, and all straight out of a box! I’m enjoying building my own track, but from a time point of view this would speed up things enormously, obviously!

Having said that, with what the EM Gauge Society has now produced,  it’s now possible to make up a small Iain Rice style cameo layout in “5 minutes” with the B6’s that are now available to us. Layout in a week type of approach! Quite a temptation...! 

What do you think?

Kind regards 
Andrew 

posted: 19 Jan 2019 14:43

Rob Manchester

Hello Andrew,
Thanks for your input. I haven't used the Tillig products myself but I have spoken to people at shows who have and they seem to work just great. It is a step in the right direction compared to normal straight or curved turnouts.

The EMGS pointwork will be a great help to those who don't or can't build their own track from scratch - a pity they didn't ome along 30 years ago. I am unsure what has changed to enable them to be available to buy now. It isn't that they make use of any production methods that didn't exist before.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rob

P.S. I looked at your business website - some pretty exotic stuff on there. I see where you are coming from with your sales hat on :D

posted: 20 Jan 2019 01:36

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hello Andrew,
Thanks for your input. I haven't used the Tillig products myself but I have spoken to people at shows who have and they seem to work just great. It is a step in the right direction compared to normal straight or curved turnouts.

The EMGS pointwork will be a great help to those who don't or can't build their own track from scratch - a pity they didn't ome along 30 years ago. I am unsure what has changed to enable them to be available to buy now. It isn't that they make use of any production methods that didn't exist before.

Enjoy your weekend.

Rob

P.S. I looked at your business website - some pretty exotic stuff on there. I see where you are coming from with your sales hat on :D
Hello Rob

If  the Tillig products are viable / useable I find that really quite intriguing and perhaps a bit surprising that no ones done that for British track? I wonder what it would take to persuade Peco to do something similar? 

As to availability in the past, yes it maybe that EM might have caught on more if the trackwork had been available as it has been for 00,  What is very encouraging for EM and P4 modellers is the advent of ready to run locos like the Deltic coming out this year. Not really thought about this before but the combination of ready to run track system and stuff to put on it is rather a heady one.  Where will it all end....!

Now to the serious matter of your evening tipple. If you’ll email your address I’ll send you a little something that will “blow your mind”. Shortly after which I’ll hear the sound of a Ravenhead tumbler being hurled into oblivion....hooray!

Kind regards

Andrew

posted: 20 Jan 2019 11:52

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Another very easy, quick and cheap way of buying locos to work on EM gauge is some of the ready made kit built locos. Just to show EM gauge locos do not need to be expensive

I have a kit built Cotswold LMS 3F, It has a solid brass milled chassis with Romford wheels, and will be a doddle to convert. It has an Airfix/MW MRRC 5 pole motor

1 Remove the wheels
2 fit 40 thou plasticard sides to the chassis, one at a time and drill the axle holes as you go
3 Replace the wheels using Romford axles
4 Adjust the pickup wipers

A quick and easy conversion, at a minimal expense,

I have done the same with a K's pannier tank. And I am now partway through an EM gauge conversion of a K's Adams Radial, but I an fitting a High Level Slimline plus gear box with a Mashima motor, these probably doubled the cost of the loco, so still at a modest cost

If required it is now an easy job fitting Gibson plastic brake shoes and Mainly Trains brake rigging
Last edited on 20 Jan 2019 11:53 by Hayfield
posted: 21 Jan 2019 20:28

Rob Manchester

Hi Andrew,
Sorry, wasn't very well yesterday and missed your post. Thanks for the kind offer but believe it or not I just unpacked a box of glassware that has been in the loft since we moved in ( 25 years !! ) and there are some 'posh' glasses in there. I promise to try one out next time I head for the whisky bottle providing you keep your running rails nearer the vertical :)

Rob

posted: 21 Jan 2019 20:41

Rob Manchester

Hayfield wrote:
Another very easy, quick and cheap way of buying locos to work on EM gauge is some of the ready made kit built locos. Just to show EM gauge locos do not need to be expensive

I have a kit built Cotswold LMS 3F, It has a solid brass milled chassis with Romford wheels, and will be a doddle to convert. It has an Airfix/MW MRRC 5 pole motor

1 Remove the wheels
2 fit 40 thou plasticard sides to the chassis, one at a time and drill the axle holes as you go
3 Replace the wheels using Romford axles
4 Adjust the pickup wipers

A quick and easy conversion, at a minimal expense,

I have done the same with a K's pannier tank. And I am now partway through an EM gauge conversion of a K's Adams Radial, but I an fitting a High Level Slimline plus gear box with a Mashima motor, these probably doubled the cost of the loco, so still at a modest cost

If required it is now an easy job fitting Gibson plastic brake shoes and Mainly Trains brake rigging
Hi John,
Yes, all very valid points you make but it does depend on the running and visual qualities you want from your locos and stock. Most of my active steam locos are modified late production RTR with Gibson EM wheels and Loksound/Zimo sound decoders. There isn't a hope of me being able to kit-build a loco with this level of detail and I wouldn't want to pay to have somebody do it for me. Widening the frames is excellent though as they do look a little odd with EM wheels and a OO chassis.

Say hello to Phil at C&L for me - I will try and catch up with him as I see he is on the Stafford show list next month.

Rob

posted: 22 Jan 2019 07:16

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Sorry, wasn't very well yesterday and missed your post. Thanks for the kind offer but believe it or not I just unpacked a box of glassware that has been in the loft since we moved in ( 25 years !! ) and there are some 'posh' glasses in there. I promise to try one out next time I head for the whisky bottle providing you keep your running rails nearer the vertical :)

Rob

Hello Rob

Ok that’s a deal, but should you change your mind ( or see the light😊) don’t hesitate to let me know. Did you find anything  else interesting in your lofty discoveries, the odd 42xx or 57’ Toplight maybe? In the meanwhile I’ll endeavour to keep my rails just off the vertical. 

Kind regards 
Andrew

posted: 22 Jan 2019 12:55

Rob Manchester

Andrew Duncan wrote:
Hello Rob

Ok that’s a deal, but should you change your mind ( or see the light😊) don’t hesitate to let me know. Did you find anything  else interesting in your lofty discoveries, the odd 42xx or 57’ Toplight maybe? In the meanwhile I’ll endeavour to keep my rails just off the vertical. 

Kind regards 
Andrew
Andrew,
Thank you. I did find a small leak in the roof :( but nothing in the railway stuff I didn't already know about.

Rob

posted: 22 Jan 2019 13:17

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Rob,

Going off-topic, the broken quoting in your posts is caused by a bug in recent Firefox updates.

You can prevent it by using Shift+Return at the end of the first line, instead of just Return.

Just for the first line, plain Return is ok after that.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Jan 2019 13:26

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Thanks for that. Yes I noticed there was an issue.

Nothing to do with trains but this is a view from one of my favorite places here . The camera has 3 positions so you have to wait a while to see the snow on the hills. Hoping to be there in person tomorrow :)

Rob

posted: 22 Jan 2019 22:47

Andrew Duncan

Reigate - United Kingdom

Rob Manchester wrote:
Andrew Duncan wrote:
Hello Rob

Kind regards 
Andrew
Andrew,
Thank you. I did find a small leak in the roof :( but nothing in the railway stuff I didn't already know about.

Rob

Ah well better luck next time Rob...
Andrew

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > RTR EM Gauge Trackwork
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020