author remove search highlighting

posted: 4 May 2019 04:06

Roger N

Queensland - Australia

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello All,
I have recently produced an EM-FS "shunting plank" design in Templot to learn track building and to test out stock before moving up to a layout.
This design includes a LH/RH tandem turnout created using the "Make 3-way tandem turnout" tool which worked well except for a couple of issues regarding clearances.
I am unsure how to best adjust the following in a prototypical manner.
1. How much adjustment can be made to the LH wing rail for the middle crossing to create a flangeway without affecting wheel movement through the crossing?
2. How much adjustment can be made to the associated middle crossing check rail on the RH turnout side, again without affecting wheel movement through the crossing?

3134_032304_090000000.png3134_032304_090000000.png

Additionally, I can identify the switch type for the LH turnout as B but do not know how to interpret the switch type for the RH turnout from the component data. I have attached the template Box file for reference.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards
Roger 
Attachment: attach_2828_3425_Shunting_Plank_104_Tandem.box     141

posted: 4 May 2019 06:20

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Roger,

Welcome to Templot Club. :)

Thanks for providing the .box file.

For the check rail, the essential requirement is that the wheels should be fully checked opposite the gap in the crossing, i.e. between the wing-rail knuckle and the blunt nose of the vee. This is to prevent the wheels moving sideways into the gap.

In other words the flared ends on the check rail should not extend into the yellow area here:

2_040109_250000000.png2_040109_250000000.png

For the wing rail, the essential requirement is that the flare angle should not begin until the wheel is fully supported on the nose. In practice, it would be rare not to have the full wing rail width in the whole of the "A" chair, and a rule of thumb is not to extend the flare closer to the nose than on the opposite standard wing rail, i.e. the red line above.

Where there is insufficient space for a conventional bent flared end on the check/wing rail (most often to leave an adequate flange clearance for the running rails) the usual practice is to machine a short stubby flare on the rail head instead. The running rails alongside would normally be bolted to half chairs. Here is a photo from the S4soc web site, showing that:

chairs04.jpgchairs04.jpg
thanks to © linked from http://www.scalefour.org

You can see that in order to support the special wing rail, the usual cast "B" chair has been replaced with a bolted slab & bracket design.

To make these changes in Templot, use the real > adjust check rails... function:

2_032358_100000000.png2_032358_100000000.png

(You won't be able to shorten the rail until you have first shortened the flare length.)

The switch is a standard 12ft straight switch, modified for use by the auto tools > make tandem functions, see template > switch settings... menu item:

2_032358_110000001.png2_032358_110000001.png

It has the same 1:32 planing angle as the "B" switch, i.e. you can prepare and fit it, and make the set in the stock rail, exactly as for the "B" switch.

The modification for use in tandems is to assume a virtual heel at the end of the planing.

If you have specific prototype info for your tandem, you could of course use some other switch design, but then you wouldn't be using the auto make tandem function, which can only create a generic design based on no specific prototype.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 May 2019 07:41

Roger N

Queensland - Australia

Hi Martín,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide such a comprehensive response to my questions.
I often wonder whilst looking at various on-line forum whether during the time that you were developing and improving Templot if you ever foresaw just how much of your own time would subsequently be spent supporting the inexperienced to the competent user.
I think what you do and have done in support of this hobby of ours is way above the call of duty, but not only that, you are also a great communicator and educator.
Thank you so much.

Regards
Roger

posted: 6 May 2019 15:09

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Hi Roger,

Thank you very much for your kind words.

My problem nowadays is that I have usually answered most questions before, but I can no longer remember where or when. :?

For example I should have included this link in my reply to you:

topic 1465 - message 9126

which covers similar ground, in more detail.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2019 08:48

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Roger

I have found when building 3 ways and tandems its worth spending that little extra bit of time on the centre road, and for some reason I get better results using check rail gauges to set the wing rails than wing rail gauges

John

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Flangeway Clearances - 3 Way Tandem Turnout
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020