author remove search highlighting

posted: 31 Jul 2019 21:36

polybear

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin,
(Or in fact anyone else)
I recall seeing you many moons ago at Scaleforum Leatherhead (what year was that?), demonstrating Templot.  You were working on a Track Plan for one of Iain Rice's layout features called "Downingham", featured in an edition of Morrill magazine.
Do you by any chance still have the file, and if so do you think you could post it please?
Many thanks
Kind Regards,
Brian

posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:20

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

polybear wrote:
Hi Martin,
(Or in fact anyone else)
I recall seeing you many moons ago at Scaleforum Leatherhead (what year was that?), demonstrating Templot.  You were working on a Track Plan for one of Iain Rice's layout features called "Downingham", featured in an edition of Morrill magazine.
Do you by any chance still have the file, and if so do you think you could post it please?
Many thanks
Kind Regards,
Brian
Hi Brian,

That's going back a bit. 2003 in fact. :)

I do remember the design, in fact I have a photocopy of the article in front of me now. I think it was sent to me by a Templot user asking for help. I also have the original Morill magazine, probably the one at the bottom of the pile. The photocopy shows pages 204-26 but doesn't show an issue date. From the show advert on there, it was 1994.

I found this still on the web site:

http://templot.com/martweb/downingham_scan.htm

It's an attractive 00 terminus design which Iain Rice describes as "by St Albans out of Uppingham". I remember asking him at a Scaleforum for permission to use it on the Templot web site, to which he kindly agreed. So I could perhaps post the article here if anyone is interested and doesn't have Morill?

The question is do I still have the Templot box file? The answer is almost certainly yes, I think my design was originally for 0 gauge. I rarely delete anything. But it may be on an old disk drive which I shall have to connect up and search.

Did I ever finish it? I don't think so. I know like many of Iain's designs (and CJF's), it was a bit optimistic about space requirements for pointwork.

I'm supposed to be working on Bernard's tandem, but I will go and have a look for the file. Templot has changed so much since 2003 that it might be better to start again from scratch.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:41

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

The Morill magazine edition was Vol 1 no. 4 Mar/Apr 1994.
Dave

posted: 31 Jul 2019 23:52

Martin Wynne

Thanks Dave.

AJC archive extraction has done its work and found this:

2_311850_080000000.jpg2_311850_080000000.jpg

11ft-6in x 7ft-6in. For 00 gauge.

So far no box file.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 00:08

Dave Summers

Urchfont, Devizes - United Kingdom

Here's the full article scanned as .pdf.Dave
Attachment: attach_2858_3471_Downingham_MRI_v1_no4.pdf     324

posted: 1 Aug 2019 01:02

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Dave, Thanks for uploading the article, I remember it well. Not sure an Airfix 4F would cut the mustad these days for prime motive power...........

Rob

posted: 1 Aug 2019 09:54

John Palmer

Rob Manchester wrote:
Not sure an Airfix 4F would cut the mustad these days for prime motive power...........
Oh, I don't know; just needs a little work:2129_010451_250000000.jpg2129_010451_250000000.jpg

Well, quite a bit of work really - but the boiler/running plate was a good foundation.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 12:57

Martin Wynne

Hi Brian,

I haven't yet found the 2003 file, but I have found this unfinished in EM version from 2014:

2_010737_290000000.png2_010737_290000000.png

Despite my comments about Iain's track plans, I seem to be fitting it in the original space so far, with some short loose-heel switches in the goods yard. There is still the long curved crossover needed, and the junction. The curved double-slip is 1:8, but I think I would build it as a switch diamond on a sharp curve.

You will notice that I have used a low-contrast negative version of the track plan, for use with the bright-night colour scheme. Which I prefer for working over a background.

I have added a function to the next program update to do this image conversion directly in Templot, and allow an easy reversion to the original.

Here it is on the sketchboard:

2_010737_290000001.png2_010737_290000001.png

And part of the output:

2_010737_300000002.png2_010737_300000002.png

Files attached below, first the box file.

cheers,

Martin.
Attachment: attach_2859_3471_downingham_em_2019.box     162

posted: 1 Aug 2019 12:59

Martin Wynne

SK81 image file:
Attachment: attach_2860_3471_downingham_em_2019.sk81     169

posted: 1 Aug 2019 13:00

Martin Wynne

BGS file:
Attachment: attach_2861_3471_downingham_em_2019.bgs     143

posted: 1 Aug 2019 19:54

polybear

Hi Martin,
That's excellent :)
2003? That's scary....
One question - how do I open the bgs and sk81 files - I'm not sure what they are :?
Many thanks,
Brian

posted: 1 Aug 2019 20:48

Martin Wynne

polybear wrote:
One question - how do I open the bgs and sk81 files - I'm not sure what they are :?
Many thanks,
Brian
Hi Brian,

The BGS file contains the dimensions and position of the scanned background drawing, to match your model scale.

The SK81 file contains the actual scanned image which is stretched to fit within it.

Save them both in your C:\TEMPLOT_DEV\SHAPE-FILES\ folder.

Then go to the background > shapes menu item.

On the background shapes dialog, click the files > reload... menu item. Navigate to the BGS file and open it. The image will appear behind the track templates on the trackpad.

The idea of separating the background shapes from the track templates, is that you can re-use the same BGS file for several different BOX file track plans. For example the BGS file might contain your baseboard outlines, or your railway room, or your garden.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 1 Aug 2019 21:42

polybear

Thanks Martin :)

posted: 14 Nov 2019 22:56

Rob Manchester

Hi Martin,

Have you thought about completing the EM plan for Downingham ? It is a very nicely designed ( and reasonably compact ) plan for a garage/large spare room that would suit quite a few people's needs for a layout.

BTW I have just tried converting Downingham from EM to EM-SF. I had thought there would be a slight error in alignment downstream of any turnouts due to the 0.2mm gauge difference and that appears to be the case but otherwise it looks good. Is there anything else likely to introduce small errors in alignment when converting like this ?

<<<Insert nudge about the Template name labels warning message>>>> :D

Rob

posted: 14 Nov 2019 23:42

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,

Have you thought about completing the EM plan for Downingham ? It is a very nicely designed ( and reasonably compact ) plan for a garage/large spare room that would suit quite a few people's needs for a layout.

BTW I have just tried converting Downingham from EM to EM-SF. I had thought there would be a slight error in alignment downstream of any turnouts due to the 0.2mm gauge difference and that appears to be the case but otherwise it looks good. Is there anything else likely to introduce small errors in alignment when converting like this ?

<<<Insert nudge about the Template name labels warning message>>>> :D
Hi Rob,

Completing it is somewhere on a to-do list. I have so many of them. :(

Nothing to prevent anyone else completing it of course. :)

A change in the gauge:scale ratio inevitably changes the lead length of all pointwork a fraction. In addition a change in the flangeway gap will further change the lead length of turnouts which have a regular-type V-crossing and have the crossing entry straight still on the default auto-fit setting. (That means the default turnouts at switch-on of course.) You could try changing the auto-fit to fixed on each such turnout before the conversion. I seem to remember doing a bug-fix on that for the conversions.

Whereas all plain track should convert exactly. In fact if the scale doesn't change it won't change at all. So you can use that fact to re-align the converted pointwork to the plain track.

But generally, if you are using a different scale/gauge it is better to start again from scratch. All the tutorials and docs make a big issue of setting your gauge and scale first, before doing anything else. :)

I think I did do the warning on the name labels. Maybe only on the scruff release which I did for the MECBOX exports. Or maybe it was on Templot3. I'm getting a bit muddled having two versions on the go -- as Graeme warned me I would.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 Nov 2019 23:47

Rob Manchester

Thanks Martin,

Yes, I have a Start.box file with just a straight piece of track set to EM-SF for just that reason.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Downingham Track Plan
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020