topic: 3473Crossovers
author remove search highlighting

posted: 2 Aug 2019 13:58

Terry Schroeyens

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hello Everyone,

I am new to Templot and have been playing around with it for some days.
I have watched the videos but want to experiment further before starting an actual track plan. I prefer to make mistakes on an experimental plan which I can easily throw away.

In the attached box file, you can see that I have a series of crossovers connected to each other. I had a devil of a job getting this to work because Templot insists on creating a new crossover on the TS side whereas I wanted it on the MS side (I hope I've got these the right way around). I concluded that the notch and maybe also the peg positions were driving this behaviour and by playing around with their positions I finally achieved what I wanted. Surely there must be an easier way of doing this.
While the crossover positions were going wrong, I undid (left arrow) the changes and they disappeared. However, when I looked at the storage box list, the same crossover was defined about 10 times!! I deleted the duplicates with the storage box delete button.
BTW, the storage box is for "Midland Central" even though I saved it with a different name.

Best regards,

Terry

Attachment: attach_2863_3473_Upwole_2019_08_01.box     135

posted: 2 Aug 2019 15:25

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Terry Schroeyens wrote:
I want to experiment further before starting an actual track plan. I prefer to make mistakes on an experimental plan which I can easily throw away.
Hi Terry,

Welcome to Templot Club.

Wow! That's exactly what I've been saying many times over the years. Hardly anyone takes any notice, most launch immediately into their lifetime master plan! Many thanks for making the point. :) 

In the attached box file, you can see that I have a series of crossovers connected to each other. I had a devil of a job getting this to work because Templot insists on creating a new crossover on the TS side whereas I wanted it on the MS side (I hope I've got these the right way around).
The MS (main-side) of a turnout is the "straight-ahead" route, so a crossover there is impossible by definition. The diverging route which can form a crossover is called the TS (turnout-side) of a turnout.

The function you missed, which does exactly what you want, is make branch crossover:

2_021007_180000001.png2_021007_180000001.png

2_021007_170000000.png2_021007_170000000.png

Note that the exit on the new template will be at the TS-side adjacent track centres currently set on the first turnout.

While the crossover positions were going wrong, I undid (left arrow) the changes and they disappeared. However, when I looked at the storage box list, the same crossover was defined about 10 times!! I deleted the duplicates with the storage box delete button.
Creating duplicate templates is a common beginner issue. Have a read of this page to see how to avoid them:

http://templot.com/companion/basic_working_methods.php

BTW, the storage box is for "Midland Central" even though I saved it with a different name.
The name of the project in the storage box is set at the edit > box title (project title)... menu item on the storage box, setting a file name doesn't change it. Templot doesn't use the Windows Document Model.

p.s. I notice you are using the GOG-F track standard. Many modellers building track in 7mm scale now prefer the 0-MF 31.5mm standard for better running with the current "industry-standard" wheels.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Aug 2019 15:51

Terry Schroeyens

Thanks Martin,

I discovered "make branch crossover" and also "make mirror on peg". However, I can't get a crossover on the (MS) exit of a double slip. I started the plan again since I noticed mistakes in the one I sent.

Not sure about 31.5 gauge because I am afraid RTR models may struggle.

You did not address the peg/notch part. What's their significance.

Terry

posted: 2 Aug 2019 16:16

Martin Wynne

Terry Schroeyens wrote:
You did not address the peg/notch part. What's their significance.
Hi Terry,

I can only put so much in one reply. :)

There is more about the peg and notch on this very old page:

http://templot.com/martweb/gs_geometry.htm

Like much else it needs updating for Templot2, but the basics remain the same.

However, beginners can often ignore that low-level stuff when using the tools menu and other functions.

Please clarify what you are trying to do with the double slip.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Aug 2019 16:27

Terry Schroeyens

Hi Martin,

I have attached the latest. I want a right-hand crossover on the double slip exit so I can link up with crossover TL043.

Terry
Attachment: attach_2864_3473_upwole_2019_08_02_1726_18.box     130

posted: 2 Aug 2019 17:13

Martin Wynne

Terry Schroeyens wrote:
I want a right-hand crossover on the double slip exit so I can link up with crossover TL043.
Hi Terry,

Sorry, no time to write much more just now. Here's a screenshot sequence showing one way to do that:

2_021208_250000000.png2_021208_250000000.png

2_021208_250000001.png2_021208_250000001.png

2_021208_250000002.png2_021208_250000002.png

2_021208_260000003.png2_021208_260000003.png

2_021208_260000004.png2_021208_260000004.png

Ask again if it's not clear.

p.s. Your tracks are all straight. But everything works just the same if it was all on a curve. In Templot, straight track is simply curved track having a very large radius.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 4 Aug 2019 14:30

Terry Schroeyens

Thanks Martin,

I get the idea but couldn't get it to work because the track wouldn't align (error message). I have since moved on to other experiments.

Terry

posted: 4 Aug 2019 17:15

Martin Wynne

Terry Schroeyens wrote:
I get the idea but couldn't get it to work because the track wouldn't align (error message).
Hi Terry,

Using all straight tracks you shouldn't be seeing any error messages. If you do, it usually means that something else is misaligned somewhere. I just recreated your box file from scratch and didn't get any error messages.

Sometimes when using sharp curves fractional misalignments can creep in. But there shouldn't be any with straight tracks.

But you have found a bug! On the latest program update I changed rolled-in sleepers to be omitted by default. I forgot that they are used in the make return curve function. I have now fixed it for the next update. Thanks for finding it. :)

That's the problem in making changes to old code while having no functional memory. :( There are always unintended consequences.

cheers,

Martin.

about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020