author remove search highlighting

posted: 25 Aug 2019 08:46

Hayfield

United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Some years ago I bought some Exactoscale P4 track gauges from C&L
Set 4XX TG02 are quite straight forward as they (4 in a pack) are standard 18.83

Set 4XX TG01 are for gauge widening, there are four in a pack and are as follows
1 x 18.83
1 x + 0.1
1 x + 0.2
1 x + 0.3

Sadly no instructions with the packs, I did make a note  as follows 
0.1  10'
0.2   6'
0.3   6'+

Clearly I have made an error in writing it, please can anyone put me straight as to which can be usede between what radii

Thanks

posted: 25 Aug 2019 18:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

Hayfield wrote:
Some years ago I bought some Exactoscale P4 track gauges from C&L
Set 4XX TG02 are quite straight forward as they (4 in a pack) are standard 18.83

Set 4XX TG01 are for gauge widening, there are four in a pack and are as follows
1 x 18.83
1 x + 0.1
1 x + 0.2
1 x + 0.3

Sadly no instructions with the packs, I did make a note  as follows 
0.1  10'
0.2   6'
0.3   6'+

Clearly I have made an error in writing it, please can anyone put me straight as to which can be usede between what radii

BR applied 1/4" gauge widening to radii between 10 chains and 7 chains.
They applied 1/2" gauge widening on curves between 5.5 chains and 7 chains.
The applied 3/4" gauge widening on anything less than 5.5 chains.

So in 4mm,  1/4" widening - your 0.1mm - would apply to curves between a scale 7 chains and 10 chains,  which would be about 6' to 8' 8" radius.

With 1/2" widening - your 0.2mm - it would apply to curves  between a scale 5.5 chains and 7 chains which would be between 4' 9" and 6' radius.

For anything under 5.5 chains,  3/4" - your 0.3mm - would apply,  i.e. anything under 4' 9" radius.

The P4/S4 people may have rounded up or down to derive recommended radii for each step in gauge widening.

From my experience in S scale,  the only gauge widening that ever gets used is the scale 3/4" one. :)

Jim.

posted: 25 Aug 2019 21:31

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Hi John,

The gauges will be the ones that have a long piece of threaded rod with a central spacer tube and washers on the ends retained by nuts if I remember correctly. If your rails are canted at 1:20 make sure the gauges only hold the head of the rail as should always be the case.

I seem to remember from my P4 days that using 0.2mm on curves around 5 foot radius worked fine but it does depend on the type of stock, wheelbases and sideplay. Jim's post makes entire sense to me ( as usual :) ).

Oddly, I seem to remember SMP yard lengths of flexi track being sold in both 'normal' 18.83mm and a gauge widened version and I think the extra gauge was considerably more than the extra allowed by your gauges.

Rob

posted: 26 Aug 2019 08:36

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Jim
Thanks for this information, I was hoping that someone may have the official P4 standards, seems to match what I have written by changing the + to a -
Last edited on 26 Aug 2019 08:36 by Hayfield
posted: 26 Aug 2019 08:40

Hayfield

United Kingdom

Rob
The gauges are as you describe and are very useful when building chaired track, pity they are still not available

No idea about SMP doing a gauge widened flexittack

Exactoscale do 2 types of fast track bases
      4FT 101A8.50
      P4 gauge for BH rail (2 metres)

4FT 102A8.50
      P4 gauge widened for BH rail (2 metres)

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > P4 gauge widening
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020