click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
    looking for help? -                         enjoy using Templot? -
looking for Templot? - (free)

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  Open Source  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot is unable to find printer
Templot web site

Templot is unable to find printer

Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
1st message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 13:50
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
I have a problem, i've tried to use my hp designjet 800 ps to print out the track plan and templot doesn't recognise the printer. Windows sees it ok and i can print other sources ok. The printer is setup for the roll that was provided with it and it shows the print jobs in the print queue when they're sent, but not from templot. I'm assuming that templot will not send anything until it recognises the printer.I've set the print output to banner/roll and tried to calibrate with no joy.

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
2nd message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 14:35
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Hi Tom,

Don't use the banner/roll paper setting. That's intended for old A3/A4 printers, not wide-format CAD printers. Use the normal single sheets setting. I need to change the menu wording to old banner/z-fold to avoid confusion.

Try having the printer switched on and working before starting Templot.

Is it shown in the list of printers when you go to the output > printer setup... menu item (bottom of menu)?

If it is, what paper size options are shown? Which ones have you tried?

Is Templot printing ok to other printers?

cheers,

Martin.

3rd message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 15:04
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
i now have it seeing the printer and i've changed the setting to single sheets. The reason is, i needed the correct hp drivers, not the generic windows 7 version.
I've sent the point template shown at the startup screen and it seems to want to take over 40 minutes to process the file before printing it. The file size is 592kb, does that seem strange to you. Templot normally prints to my epson 720 instantly and that's much bigger files that this.

4th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 15:19
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Tom Allen wrote: I've sent the point template shown at the startup screen and it seems to want to take over 40 minutes to process the file before printing it. The file size is 592kb, does that seem strange to you.
Hi Tom,

What paper size have you set?

I'm interested that you can see the print file size. Where are you seeing that quoted? What is the file name? Normally print jobs are spooled to the printer -- have you set the printer to print to file?

How long does it take if you export a PDF file from Templot and use your PDF reader program to print it?

cheers,

Martin.

5th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 15:50
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
paper size is set to A0 roll, that's what came with it. I can see the file size in control panel/devices and printers/see what's printing, thats the old print queue feature on xp.
The file is called templot pages

6th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 16:29
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Tom,

What page size is Templot showing on the print preview screen?

Try changing the paper size to say A3.

You can gradually increase it when you get it running.

I'm going to try installing the driver on my old Windows7 system so that I can see what you are seeing. (There doesn't seem to be a driver available for Windows10.)

cheers,

Martin.

7th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:11
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
i chose to print a grouped single point at 10% size from the initial screen and it printed a page 8m wide and 18m long at 10% when i stopped it, heaven knows what it would have stopped at lengthwise if i had let it go. The point was perfectly printed at 10% and i did choose only to print group templates. Normally it would have only printed the grouped point and no more.There isn't a driver for this printer above 7

8th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:17
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tom Allen wrote: i chose to print a grouped single point at 10% size from the initial screen and it printed a page 8m wide and 18m long at 10% when i stopped it, heaven knows what it would have stopped at lengthwise if i had let it go.Hi Tom,

That's why it is taking a long time to calculate. :)

You must set a fixed page size, not "roll". It can be as big as you like, but it must have a set length.

cheers,

Martin.

9th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:17
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
just one page A1 but it's very long and thin

10th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:23
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tom Allen wrote: just one page A1 but it's very long and thin???   A1 is not very long and thin. :?

I will write again when I have installed the driver and can see the settings available.

cheers,

Martin.

11th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:31
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
as you've said, i guess i'm going to have to define the length of each print. I'll try it with just a point.

12th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:46
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
ok, i tried it with A3 size listed and it printed it within the limits of an A3 page. So defining a width and length is a must with this printer.
One other thing has arose from this print, which is a "control template". There are shaded lines being printed from the edges of each sleeper to the 0 point.

13th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 17:57
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Tom Allen wrote: So defining a width and length is a must with this printer.Hi Tom,

I've been trying to tell you that all afternoon! :)

One other thing has arose from this print, which is a "control template". There are shaded lines being printed from the edges of each sleeper to the 0 point.Yes, that's a known bug in 2.23.c. See:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3500&forum_id=1

You can avoid it by printing the template as a background template instead, or you can fix it by using the 2.23.x scruff release which I posted here:

http://85a.co.uk/forum/view_topic.php?id=3499&forum_id=3#p27699

However, that also has a bug -- the switch-drive marks (tie-bar slots) are missing on background templates.

I will get it fixed and release a new program update soon.

cheers,

Martin.

14th message | this message only posted: 14 Sep 2019 18:03
Tom Allen

view images in gallery
view images as slides
thanks Martin, i usually only print background templates so i've not seen this before.
Major thanks for the prompt help, i'll be hitting the "donate" button now we've settled into the new home.

This is topic ID = 3501     Page created at 12:37 (local time)  
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Templot is unable to find printer
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2019