topic: 3503Yellow lines on print out.
author remove search highlighting

posted: 22 Sep 2019 08:44

Jason Johnson

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
3556_220343_530000000.jpg3556_220343_530000000.jpgHi all, 
I’m new and reading all the online info I can rather than ask questions I can find the answers to online. I’m doing ok and now have parts to make a proactive section. 

So I’m at the printing stage and have printed a couple of practice templates out, a turnout and a straight, but each one has these yellow lines that go across the track, anyone know why ? This is on 2 computers and 2 separate printers. It’s usable just slightly annoying. 

Any help would be great. 👍

posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:13

alan@york

I think it is because you haven't calibrated your printer: see the message at the top
a@y

posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:20

Jason Johnson

I did wonder that and calibrated the printer at work, got the same result without the calibration notice though. 
Attachment: attach_2905_3503_A0095B80-5FC1-4B1F-A924-DEE3BA01EBC6.jpeg     116

posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:36

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Printer calibration only gets the size correct so not being calibrated wouldn’t cause that. It’s curious that the yellow lines don’t cross the rails. Have you tried printing to a pdf either directly from Templot, or using an installed pdf printer such as CutePDF?
Last edited on 22 Sep 2019 09:37 by Paul Boyd
posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:51

Jason Johnson

No I just used the print now button, will try again via a pdf file.

Thanks for the replies. 👍

posted: 22 Sep 2019 11:40

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Jason Johnson wrote:
but each one has these yellow lines that go across the track, anyone know why ?
Hi Jason,

It's a known bug in 2.23.c

See:

topic 3500

Sorry about that. You have reminded me that a new full release is needed urgently.

The problem applies only to direct printing of the control template. You can avoid it by storing the template (click 2_220656_060000000.png2_220656_060000000.png ) and printing it as a background template (CTRL+F11). Or by exporting a PDF file and printing that.

Or you can fix the bug by getting the scruff release file attached at:

topic 3499 - message 27772

Instructions for installing it at:

topic 3499 - message 27782

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Sep 2019 12:19

Jason Johnson

Hi Martin, 
Thanks very much, that explains that and will have a look later tonight. I’ll try the pdf export too, would you know why when it’s exported as a cad file it scales up slightly ? I was playing about and noticed the cad option which I then tried to use to cut the sleepers on a laser cutter. Unfortunately they didn’t match the printed template. Sorted by scaling down slightly though. 👍

posted: 22 Sep 2019 13:08

Martin Wynne

Jason Johnson wrote:
I’ll try the pdf export too, would you know why when it’s exported as a cad file it scales up slightly ? I was playing about and noticed the cad option which I then tried to use to cut the sleepers on a laser cutter. Unfortunately they didn’t match the printed template. Sorted by scaling down slightly though. 👍
Hi Jason,

Assuming you have set output > normal size 100% :

Any scaling of an exported DXF file will be happening in your CAD program. Have a look at the DXF import options on there. Also for DXF make sure you have set the import for mm or inches accordingly. This information is not contained in the actual DXF file.

For an exported EMF file in CAD, use the boundary rectangle option for the export, and enter the rectangle dimensions in the CAD for the import. You can see the dimensions by clicking the set... button on the export dialog.

For a PDF file, you must set the scaling to "None" or "100%" in the PDF reader program. This is not the default setting in most PDF readers.

If it didn't match the printed template, it may be the printer which is wrong. Have you calibrated it? Try measuring the light blue grid squares, or for 00 gauge templates, the plain track sleepers should be exactly 32mm long. For EM and P4 they should be exactly 34mm long (unless you have intentionally changed the timber settings).

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 22 Sep 2019 13:12

Jason Johnson

Thanks will check when at work tomorrow. 👍

posted: 23 Sep 2019 07:34

Jason Johnson

Just to confirm a couple of things,

I have followed Martins advice above and update the files and the yellow lines have now disappeared from the prints outs.

The scaling issue I was having after again following Martins advice in looking at how it was being imported found that scaling was set to 1:1 and units set to automatic. Having changed the units to 1 unit = 1mm it is now importing to the correct size, this gives me on a straight sleepers of 34 x 3.34mm.

One thing I have noticed is the sleepers on the turnouts are a bit wider at 4mm, is this correct and how they are in the full scale ?

Thanks for everyone's help.

posted: 23 Sep 2019 11:07

Martin Wynne

Jason Johnson wrote:
One thing I have noticed is the sleepers on the turnouts are a bit wider at 4mm, is this correct and how they are in the full scale ?
Hi Jason,

Yes, that's correct for UK practice with traditional wooden bearers.

In the UK the bearers under plain track are called sleepers. They are 10 inches wide and 5 inches thick. That scales to 3.3mm wide in 4mm/ft scale models (00, EM, P4).

The bearers under turnouts and other pointwork are called crossing timbers, usually just timbers. They are 12 inches wide and 6 inches thick. That scales to 4.0mm wide in 4mm/ft scale models.

A few special ones are sometimes wider at 14 inches or even 16 inches where needed to support the chair castings for bullhead rail.

Modern concrete bearers do vary a bit in thickness, but generally the widths are very similar.

All these settings can be changed in Templot at real > timbering > menu items.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Baffled beginners > Yellow lines on print out.
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020