topic: 3560Problems with Windows 10
author remove search highlighting

posted: 26 Nov 2019 12:00

Gordon S

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin
Never had a problem with Windows 7, but as you know I've upgraded to Windows 10 and seem to have an issue. I've used Group Selection Fence then Print Group and keep getting an error message which won't allow me to do anything.

It says "Out of system resources".

Tried shutting Templot down several times, but get the same message.

Any ideas?

posted: 26 Nov 2019 12:49

Gordon S

Not sure if this helps, but I clicked on one of my desktop shortcuts to a sketch board plan and it suddenly started playing a continual pulsing noise and opened all these pop ups. It kept going for 15-20 seconds and I couldn't do anything. It stopped eventually....

Here is the screenshot.
479_260755_370000000.jpg479_260755_370000000.jpg

Last edited on 26 Nov 2019 12:56 by Gordon S
posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:20

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Gordon S wrote:
Hi Martin
Never had a problem with Windows 7, but as you know I've upgraded to Windows 10 and seem to have an issue. I've used Group Selection Fence then Print Group and keep getting an error message which won't allow me to do anything.

It says "Out of system resources".
Hi Gordon,

That is a message from Windows, not from Templot.

It probably means that your system is low on memory -- Windows 10 needs a lot more of it for itself than Windows 7 did. That doesn't leave so much for everything else, such as Templot.

Before you upgraded to Windows10 did you check that your computer met the system requirements for Windows 10?

I don't know what to suggest for the best. You could try installing more memory?

Make sure no other programs are running at the same time as Templot, such as your browser, email, music player, etc. Windows does lots of things in the background which you probably don't need, but it is difficult to know which ones can be safely switched off.

Windows 10 has two ways of working, Tablet mode and traditional Desktop mode. In Tablet mode it pretends to be a mobile phone and probably uses a lot more memory in the process. If you are in Tablet mode, change to Desktop mode. (In Tablet mode the desktop is covered in large tiles.)

Are you able to print from other programs -- not just text but photos, etc.?

Try exporting a PDF file of your required pages (output > export a file...), and then open it in the PDF reader program (Templot asks you if you want to do that). Try printing it from there -- be sure to set the scaling to 100% or "None".

How many pages are you printing in one go? Try printing no more than a handful at a time. Try changing the settings in the print spooler to print directly to the printer, or not to spool the next page until the previous one has finished printing.

How many templates are in your storage box? Try saving a backup file of the whole lot, and then deleting all except the ones you want to print. Print them, and then reload the full file.

Are you seeing any slowdown or problems in Templot other than when printing?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:39

Martin Wynne

p.s. Gordon,

If you recently upgraded to Windows 10 all the way from Windows 7 in one go, it is probably still downloading dozens of updates -- which will use a lot of memory while it does it.

Before doing anything else, try restarting Windows 10. That is not the same as switching it off and back on. Restarting resets a lot of stuff and takes a lot longer to start-up than a simple switch-on.

That's from the Start > Power options,bottom-left.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:41

Gordon S

I've checked the RAM and I have 4GB of which it says 3GB is usable. Before installing I checked all the requirements and they were fine. I installed it on the 22nd, but can't be sure if I've printed templates since then. There is nothing on my machine other than AVG and CC cleaner, both of which I am currently uninstalling.

I'll try your other suggestions and get back to you. If all else fails, I'll put Windows 7 back on. I wasn't suggesting it was a Templot issue and thought I said the message was from Windows. Apologies if that wasn't clear.

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:51

Gordon S

Bear with me as I've not used Windows 10 before.

Right clicked on Start and found Power Options, but that takes me to Power and Sleep and I can't see an option to restart. There is a restart in the Shut down menu. Is that the same thing?

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:52

Martin Wynne

Hi Gordon,

AVG rings alarm bells. You don't need 3rd-party anti-virus programs on Windows10 and they invariably cause problems. Windows10 has its own "Windows Defender" which works fine.

p.s. in your screenshot, bottom right, you have 1 Notification. Click it and see what it says. It may offer you something to click to fix the problem.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:54

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
Bear with me as I've not used Windows 10 before.

Right clicked on Start and found Power Options, but that takes me to Power and Sleep and I can't see an option to restart. There is a restart in the Shut down menu. Is that the same thing?
Hi Gordon,

Yes, that is where I meant. No need to right-click.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 26 Nov 2019 13:58

Gordon S

Thanks Martin. I've removed AVG and CC Cleaner and then restarted via the start button. The notification has gone. Everything is up to date.

Opened Templot and went through my usual and all is OK again! :thumb:

No idea what the problem was, but it appears OK now.

Thank you..

posted: 26 Nov 2019 14:16

Martin Wynne

Gordon S wrote:
No idea what the problem was
Hi Gordon,

Almost certainly AVG. :(

Glad it's working. It's always worth doing a full restart if you run into trouble. Just switching on and off you can go for weeks without doing a full restart of Windows, and problems can build up.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Nov 2019 10:32

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

Hi Martin and Gordon

I don't think what you have described above applies if you have disabled the fast start. I'm quite happy to turn my machine on and wait for it to boot properly but when I'm finished at night or even sometimes in the day I just want it to shut down as quickly as possible. Others of course may like the feature.

Disable through the Control Panel
    Press the Windows key on your keyboard, type in Power Options, and then press Enter.From the left menu, select Choose what the power buttons do.Under the Shutdown settings section, uncheck the box next to Turn on fast startup (recommended).Click the Save changes button.
Cheers

Fraser

posted: 27 Nov 2019 17:00

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

It is worth bearing in mind that full support for Windows 7 is scheduled to end early in 2020 so there may be many more of us thinking of upgrading to W10. Mind you I also suspect there may be a fair few who will hang on to older versions due to driver availability for some of our odd devices :)

I am sticking with W7 until it isn't safe to do so but it is nice to know that once on Windows 10 the updates process is much easier to understand :

2001_271157_590000000.png2001_271157_590000000.png

:( :( :(

Rob

posted: 27 Nov 2019 17:14

Gordon S

Someone very kindly provided me an official link that still allowed you do upgrade to Windows 10 free of charge.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/upgrade-to-windows-10-free-heres-how/
Last edited on 27 Nov 2019 17:15 by Gordon S
posted: 27 Nov 2019 17:35

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

I upgraded my desktop PC to Win10 quite some time ago, and it just works!  I’ve not had any problems running any programs including Templot, but I also haven’t used any third party AV products for many years.  My only issue with Win10 Home is the lack of control over updates, or more specifically when it does them.  I hibernate that PC partly so I can wake it and access it remotely, but it’s irritating to find it’s restarted itself whilst I’m away and is left sitting there eating my electricity.
My laptop is still on WIn7 because of this problem - it’s so low powered that I don’t want to have to wait hours before I’m able to use it just because Win10 has decided to use all the limited processing power to check for updates.  These problems can apparently be better controlled in the Pro version, although changing from 1950s technology disk to SSD has made a world of difference - why are people still using mechanical disk drives???

Incidentally, that link that Gordon posted still worked last time I tried it!  It’ll only upgrade Home to Home or Pro to Pro, but it’s free!  It’s not something Microsoft publicise, but it is a genuine upgrade.

posted: 27 Nov 2019 17:43

Gordon S

I literally only upgraded last Friday (22nd Nov), so worth using if you have concerns over Windows 7.

You can download it to a USB stick if you prefer. Whether that will still work weeks later though is an unknown.

posted: 28 Nov 2019 00:13

Nigel Brown

why are people still using mechanical disk drives???

Well, I built my current PC exactly 8 years ago, with some good disk drives, and it's still going strong! At the time SSD was relatively expensive, also reliability was a bit unknown. I did some digging about 3 years ago after hearing about some SSD failures, and it appeared that the cheaper SSDs could fail after a couple of years, and that if one wanted longlevity then one needed to fork out for server-grade SSDs. Even then life wasn't guaranteed.

If I get around to building a new PC it's certainly something I'd look at, but don't know which way I'd jump.

Nigel
Last edited on 28 Nov 2019 00:13 by Nigel Brown
posted: 28 Nov 2019 07:38

FraserSmith

Dundee - United Kingdom

The ideal way to use an ssd is to also have old fashioned drives and put the operating system and programs on the ssd and your valuable data on the old fashioned disk drive. If you want more data security then have two or more in some sort of raid configuration. If you want more security than that then get a Synology drive or simlar and back up to that but if that's running 24/7 and you live in the country as I do then you might want a ups for the Synology to cope with the occasional powercuts that happen there as they don't like to have their power disconnected when they are working. It all depends what you are prepared to spend on your computer and what value you place on data security.

Cheers

Fraser

posted: 28 Nov 2019 12:37

Paul Boyd

FraserSmith wrote:
The ideal way to use an ssd is to also have old fashioned drives and put the operating system and programs on the ssd and your valuable data on the old fashioned disk drive. If you want more data security then have two or more in some sort of raid configuration. If you want more security than that then get a Synology drive or simlar and back up to that but if that's running 24/7 and you live in the country as I do then you might want a ups for the Synology to cope with the occasional powercuts that happen there as they don't like to have their power disconnected when they are working. It all depends what you are prepared to spend on your computer and what value you place on data security.

Agreed, although my desktop actually has my data on SSD as well (two of them as a spanned volume to give 1TB, although prices are falling so fast that a 1TB SSD would now be cheaper!). That drive is constantly synced with OneDrive, although I appreciate that's a mirror, not a backup.  For backups I have Microsoft's equivalent/copy of Apple's Time Machine, whose name escape me for now but it's part of Win10 (mechanical drive), and also a few external mechanical drives, one of which is kept at work, along with a regular backup routine.  I guess that answers my earlier question about why people still use old-fashioned mechanical drives!!

I am a bit paranoid about backups, having lost quite a lot of work once.  Fortunately even then I had an off-site drive but that was about 12 months out of date, I think.  It saddens me when I frequently see people desperately trying to recover data, or they lose their phone that apparently have precious photos with no backup.

Nigel - I felt the same about SSD reliability, but they've come a long way, fast.  I still prefer to buy the branded ones, and I'd certainly avoid ones that seem too cheap, but a decent SSD will come with monitoring tools and very effective error correction.  A product we sell at work has had bog-standard SSDs fitted since March 2013, and we've not had a single failure in that time - that helped my decision for my own PC and laptop.  An SSD has transformed my laptop from being something I was on the verge of throwing out to something I can actually use, and my desktop performance has improved massively.  Motherboard manufactures don't want us to have SSDs because people will stop upgrading the rest of their PC!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 28 Nov 2019 15:43

Nigel Brown

Paul, thanks for the info re SSDs; I'll bear it in mind. Current desktop still performs pretty well so I'll probably keep it as is until I reckon it needs a replacement. Of the two discs I have one is essentially the system disc, containing operating system plus some apps which are a pain to install elsewhere, the other is data plus most apps I've installed such as Templot. My "backup" consists of taking a copy of the second disk every couple of months, and a system backup of the first disc about every 6 months.

Nigel

posted: 2 Dec 2019 17:44

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Hi all
I returned to Templot after a while without a PC laptop - bought a Lenovo IdeaPad something with Windows 10 mainly to run Templot and other work-related technical software (everything else I do on a Mac).

Downloaded Templot 2.25A and copied Box, Shape etc files from backup and set off with minimal relearning issues, but came across an issue with Shapes. I can load them, and add to them/modify them on screen, but when it comes to saving them it won't and I get the following message:

52_021242_030000000.jpg52_021242_030000000.jpg

Any ideas? Saving templates works fine.

TIA

Rod

posted: 2 Dec 2019 18:23

Martin Wynne

Roderic Cameron wrote:
but when it comes to saving them it won't and I get the following message:
Hi Rod,

Thanks for the report.

Does this happen only if you have some background shapes loaded from earlier files?

What happens if you create only new background shapes in 225a?

What happens if you have only geometric shapes (no picture shapes/maps)?

The reason for all these questions is that the main update in 225a is a change after 20+ years from the binary BGS file format to XML-based BGS3 format for the background shapes. More about all that here:

topic 3561

Sorry it's a bit technical, I have just moved it from the TemplotMEC topics so everyone can see it.

If you are stuck, please re-install 224a for now, which you can download from:

http://templot.com/downloads/templot_224a_setup.exe

and ignore the invitation to update on start-up. That should load and save your old BGS files ok. However saving of template BOX files will be slow, because there is no option to turn off the additional export in MECBOX format.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 2 Dec 2019 18:45

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Thanks for very prompt reply Martin.

This is just geometric shapes (I haven't tried picture shapes yet). I haven't tried it with entirely new shapes either, will do tomorrow (PC laptop is in garden office). If still an issue I'll migrate back to 2.24a as you suggest.

Cheers

Rod

posted: 2 Dec 2019 22:06

Martin Wynne

Hi Rod,

Have you checked your \SHAPE-FILES\ folder to see if a .bgs3 file did in fact get saved before the error occurred?

If so, could you attach it here? Thanks. And could you try reloading it?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 3 Dec 2019 13:01

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Martin Wynne wrote:

Have you checked your \SHAPE-FILES\ folder to see if a .bgs3 file did in fact get saved before the error occurred?

If so, could you attach it here? Thanks. And could you try reloading it?

Hi Martin

It did indeed save a BGS3 file (which I'll have to email you as I don't seem to be able to attach it here). If I try to reload it I get this:

52_030748_290000000.jpg52_030748_290000000.jpg

'Board outer' is the first of 20-odd shapes that should be included, but it reloads with zeros in all the x,y coordinates.

I can create, save and reload any brand new shapes. When I 'save as', it only shows bgs3 files created from new and not any of the 'old' ones. But these all show up on the reload list, and I can upload any of them but can't save any changes to the 'old' ones.

HTH

Rod

posted: 3 Dec 2019 18:37

Martin Wynne

Hi Rod,

Here attached below is scruff release 225z to fix the bug in 225a.

Close Templot, then download this file templot_2.exe and copy and paste it into your

C:TEMPLOT_DEV

folder to replace the one already there. Restart Templot.

I will get a full release of 225b done shortly.

edit: now available.

If your browser won't allow downloads of exe files, I am sending you a corrected version of your BGS3 file which will load into your existing 225a.

Apologies for the problems, many thanks for finding this bug. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 3 Dec 2019 18:46

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

No need to apologise Martin, and thank you for responding and fixing the issue so quickly.

File downloaded, will test it tomorrow and report back.

Cheers

Rod

posted: 4 Dec 2019 17:43

Roderic Cameron

Teignmouth, Devon

Hi Martin

225z has fixed the problem, thanks.

If I find any other issues I will of course let you know.

Cheers

Rod
Last edited on 4 Dec 2019 17:43 by Roderic Cameron
posted: 11 Dec 2019 13:15

Gordon S

I doubt if it's a Templot issue, but since upgrading to Windows 10, I keep getting this message when using Templot on my PC.
479_110813_170000000.jpg479_110813_170000000.jpg

I've trawled the web and there's been a few ideas such as deleting and reinstating the drivers, but it still happens. I can't say if it's only Templot as I don't run anything else on this machine other than Templot, so that's the only time I see it.

Any ideas?
Attachment: attach_2956_3560_DSCF0113.jpg     77

posted: 11 Dec 2019 13:42

Martin Wynne

Hi Gordon,

Have you tried inserting a disk in drive E? :)

There was an issue with USB drives in some recent Windows10 updates. I think it is looking for the USB driver.  As far as I know it is now fixed, but I think you used the back-door free upgrade, which may be older?

If you leave a blank or unimportant USB stick in the drive you shouldn't, by definition, see that message. Which is not to say you won't see something else.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Dec 2019 14:24

Gordon S

Thanks Martin, I'll leave a CD in the E drive and see what happens. I can't recall when I last used the CD drive as I only ever use the hard drive for Templot and the occasional memory stick.

posted: 11 Dec 2019 15:17

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:
As far as I know it is now fixed, but I think you used the back-door free upgrade, which may be older?
Hi Martin
The "back door free upgrade" is a normal official Windows 10 upgrade so it's no older than what you get if you buy the DVD.  It's just that MS no longer publicise the fact that it's available, and it could be pulled at any time.  Once it's installed, as with the DVD it'll go through interminable update processes until it's reached the latest version.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 11 Dec 2019 15:35

Martin Wynne

Thanks Paul.

But how then do we explain that message Gordon is seeing? :?

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 11 Dec 2019 16:17

Paul Boyd

Martin Wynne wrote:
But how then do we explain that message Gordon is seeing? :?
Pass!
I'm assuming that Windows Update is showing that it's up to date.  That message usually pops up if you've installed something from a CD or external drive and something in the installation process has made a link to that specific drive (bad programming!).  I've just tried to replicate it by copying Templot off a USB stick onto my work PC (temporarily!) then running Templot with the USB stick removed.  It behaved itself perfectly, loading my preferences (so they're not tied to a specific drive), and only came unstuck when I tried to open a recent file, but even that just politely told me it couldn't find the file.
Given the File Explorer window behind Gordon's error message, I'm not convinced it has anything to do with Templot.  My inclination is a leftover from AVG, which can be a real pain to remove entirely - I consider it to be a virus itself in the way it insinuates itself into the machine and hogs resource.  The Win7 to Win10 update will copy program settings and user data over, so there may be some odd settings from either AVG or maybe a hardware driver.

There's a niggle in the back of my mind that I've seen something similar with a graphics card or printer driver in the dim and distant past.  Hopefully, if Gordon does stick something into the offending drive, the error message might change to say a specific file couldn't be found which will give us a better clue.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 11 Dec 2019 21:30

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello,
Recently went the same route as Gordon with a windows Laptop I inherited due to it having a duff screen.
Windows10 does a lot of stuff for Microsoft without users being aware. Some would call it spying.The updates and changes they make are not always obvious. Check for old programs that are running in the background via task manager. Make sure you uninstall any via the control panel that you no longer require or that may be doing something in the background. Also you need to look at stopping services that you do not require.
Really the list is never ending but it is surprising what a few changes can do for performance etc.
Regards
Trevor:)

posted: 11 Dec 2019 22:41

Rob Manchester

Hello,
Following on from Trevor's post there is a guide to tidying up Windows 10 installations here

I am still on W7 - if I knew Templot would run well I would possibly dump Microsoft and go the Linux route :D

Rob

posted: 12 Dec 2019 03:06

Trevor Walling

United Kingdom

Hello Rob,
         Templot works fine in Linux using wine. I only use Windows X if I really have to, Linux being the preferred option for everything. How hard can using Linux be? A picture paints a thousand words as the saying goes.
Regards.
Trevor :)

2110_112204_050000000.jpg2110_112204_050000000.jpg

posted: 12 Dec 2019 13:03

Nigel Brown

Personally I don't get problems with Windows 10; neither did I with Windows 7. However, I build my own PCs. Problems people get are, I believe, down to the amount of gash which manufacturers of PCs load onto their systems; think this applies particularly to performance. My current PC was built at the start of 2012 and is still going strong.

I also have a Macbook, and my previous PCs used to dual boot with Linux. The reason I stick to Windows is down to apps; apps are generally designed for Windows, work better on them and are better supported on them, at least the apps I'm interested in.

Nigel

posted: 12 Dec 2019 14:47

Gordon S

Just to be clear, it's the CD drive not USB. I put in a CD yesterday and touch wood, nothing has come up yet. Fingers crossed....

posted: 12 Dec 2019 20:44

Rob Manchester

Hi Trevor,
Thanks for the picture - made me chuckle. Has she got the hang of partial templates yet :)

I have a few spare laptops so over Christmas I am going to check out the Linux options and try Templot on one before comitting my 'main' PC to it. Apart from Templot, Audacity(recording Radio shows!) and an Office-type suite everything I need is browser based.

Rob

Templot Club > Forums > I found a flaw > Problems with Windows 10
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020