Templot Club Archive 2007-2020                             

topic: 3594Irish 3ft chaired track
author remove search highlighting

posted: 9 Jan 2020 10:55

Ian Bunch

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi all I've found the relevant data I need for FB track but I've seen some images of Irish 3ft gauge with BH/chaired track. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about it.
This is Ballycastle 
http://www.ballycastlehistory.com/railway-world-november-1979.html
I've also seen it on CDR, L&LSR and T&D photos. 
Would this have been handed down stuff from standard/5'3" railways?

Last edited on 9 Jan 2020 10:55 by Ian Bunch
posted: 9 Jan 2020 11:58

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

The Festiniog also used chaired bullhead track and the chairs and rail were smaller in size than standard gauge parts.

Jim.

posted: 11 Jan 2020 06:18

DerekStuart

United Kingdom

Morning Jim

Are you sure Ffestiniog uses different rail cross-section? I seem to recall that they received a donation of ex BR BH rail.

I'm sure there was a conversation here in which it was said that the wheel treads were the same as the mainline- just that the diameter of the wheel was smaller.

Of course, I may be entirely wrong on that- so please no one take that as gospel.

Derek

posted: 11 Jan 2020 08:31

Jim Guthrie

United Kingdom

DerekStuart wrote:
Are you sure Ffestiniog uses different rail cross-section? I seem to recall that they received a donation of ex BR BH rail.

Derek,

The bullhead rail used on the Festiniog was around 50lb/yard,  the latest bullhead rail for the Festiniog being 48lb/yd and replacement rail from Penrhyn Quarry being 50lb/yd.

http://www.festipedia.org.uk/wiki/Rail_weights

The modern day bullhead rail on BR was/is 95lb/yd and I think main line rail weights in Victorian times could be down to 75-80lb/yd.

So the Festiniog rail would have been noticeably smaller in dimensions to standard gauge rail.

I remember this from many years ago when I contemplated modelling the Festiniog in S scale and I remember researching suitable rail and chair sizes from smaller scales.  I had to rely on Google this morning to remind myself of the details. :D

Jim.

Templot Club > Forums > Trackbuilding topics > Irish 3ft chaired track
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020