topic: 3644outside slips
author remove search highlighting

posted: 27 Apr 2020 01:51

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Mike's request for an outside slip set me thinking about them again.

With the tandems now automated (at least for the basic designs), outside slips are next on the list to be made a bit easier.

So I have been testing 2 new fixing peg positions, OSXP and OSMP. Yes really, even more of them. :)

These 2 make it a lot easier than previous methods to get an outside slip road aligned and to establish the V-crossing angles and positions. At least for a regular diamond-crossing.

I have made a bit of video to explain them:

http://flashbackconnect.com/Default.aspx?id=3o4-PiKKPVaAXZsePJOwSA2

Will be in the next program update, but not for a while because there are several other unfinished loose ends I have to deal with.

This now makes it possible to think about a full tools > make outside-slip function, but there's still quite a long way to go in automating the partial template splitting.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 27 Apr 2020 08:27

Phil O

Plymouth - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

Many thanks, that's a great addition to the tool kit.

Stay safe.

Phil

posted: 6 May 2020 06:33

Martin Wynne

This is now available in 226a:

topic 3660

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 6 May 2020 23:29

Rob Manchester

Manchester - United Kingdom

Martin Wynne wrote:

This now makes it possible to think about a full tools > make outside-slip function, but there's still quite a long way to go in automating the partial template splitting.

cheers,

Martin.
Hi Martin,
You had me trying to find the make outside slip function just now when you posted that the above is now available in 226a. If I had read the earlier post properly I would have seen that the new peg positions are just a step towards this :D ....I will check back in two years and see if you have managed to fit it in between the boat building sessions.

Rob

posted: 6 May 2020 23:52

Martin Wynne

Rob Manchester wrote:
Hi Martin,
You had me trying to find the make outside slip function just now when you posted that the above is now available in 226a. If I had read the earlier post properly I would have seen that the new peg positions are just a step towards this :D ....I will check back in two years and see if you have managed to fit it in between the boat building sessions.
Hi Rob,

I'm looking at it. (The outside-slip function, not the boat).

However, these two new peg positions do make it possible for any reasonably experienced Templot user to take it from there themselves, because you have got all the crossings and switches aligned for you. Which was not the case with the tandems before the make tandem function for example.

Indeed quite a few users will likely use that outside-slip as-is, and pencil in the final details on the printed construction template.

The drawback is that these new functions work only with a regular diamond-crossing (both roads the same radius). A full make outside-slip function ideally needs to work for irregular diamonds too, because irregular outside-slips are quite common. But that's a major task -- your two years might be optimistic. Unless the boat sinks. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 16 May 2020 23:37

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

Hi Martin

I've just had a go at this on an old trackplan on which I was struggling a bit with the outside slip - what a difference these new peg positions make!  I had to adjust the radius of one of the curves slightly to make it a regular diamond, then following your video it all worked.  Thanks for this!

Initially I had the slip road on the wrong side but I eventually worked out that I needed to start the diamond with the two through road control and background templates swapped over - that sorted it.

Now to do all the partial templates and timbering...

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 17 May 2020 00:03

Martin Wynne

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for the feedback. Glad it worked.

It was a bit of a light-bulb moment when I realised that a couple of new peg positions could do most of the work in setting out an outside slip. :)

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > outside slips
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020