author remove search highlighting

posted: 7 May 2020 20:59

Paul Boyd

Loughborough - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi Martin

Something has been bugging me for a while!  When I want to shift a group of templates, I keep being nagged about whether I want to move all the shapes as well.  No, is the answer most of the time.  Could a "Don't ask me again" box be added to that dialogue please, as it is with other similar boxes?

Actually, what would be really nice is to be able to shift some shapes!  For instance, I'd want to keep the baseboard outlines where they are, but be able to move turntables shapes or a building with the grouped templates.  I can't quite visualise how that would work though, I must admit.  I think it would need a way to be able to add shapes into the group, and I have no idea how feasible that might be!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 7 May 2020 21:37

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

Paul Boyd wrote:
Something has been bugging me for a while!  When I want to shift a group of templates, I keep being nagged about whether I want to move all the shapes as well.
... ...
Actually, what would be really nice is to be able to shift some shapes!
Hi Paul,

To not see those annoying messages, untick this box:

2_071614_360000000.png2_071614_360000000.png

To shift some shapes but not others, split your shapes like this:

1. save a BGS3 file.

2. delete the turntables, maps, etc., which you want to be movable.

3. save another BGS3 file containing only the remaining baseboards, etc.

4. reload the first file.

5. delete the baseboards etc.

6. make the shifts/rotates you want.

7. use files > add file... on the background shapes menus to reload the baseboards file.

I agree the whole thing is clunky mess. It's on my list to do something about. :)

The problem is the very primitive legacy BGS format. So far I've managed to kludge stuff into it and still keep all old BGS files usable. I will try to squeeze in a "syncable" option to each shape for the next program update.

p.s. turntables can be done as dummy centre-line templates. Buildings can be done as shoved bonus timbers. Then they are not part of the background shapes and move with the templates. You can also do it all on the sketchboard, and have sketchboard items showing on the trackpad. That way your signal box can have tiles on the roof. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 7 May 2020 22:16

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin
To not see those annoying messages, untick this box:
Thanks, I'd not spotted that one.
To shift some shapes but not others, split your shapes like this:
Yes, that would work.  The catch would be that often I'll be shifting a group to move a switch away from a baseboard joint, for instance, so I'd want that to stay.  But what I could do is to make the baseboard joint a track centre line and not group it, similarly with the basic baseboard outline.  The actual shapes file for the baseboards will have more detail, such as crossmembers, but only those I'm trying to avoid need to be duplicated with a track centreline.

Talking of track centrelines, now you mention it:-
turntables can be done as dummy centre-line templates. Buildings can be done as shoved bonus timbers.
I used to do exactly that, for both, but for some reason that trick has erased itself from my brain - thanks for refreshing it!

A "syncable" option does sound ideal though - it would be great if that could be squeezed in.  For some reason  I've never got on with the sketchboard, I really must have another look if only to remind myself of the tiled signalbox!  I seem to remember a forum member putting quite a lot of effort into this.

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 7 May 2020 22:40

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
but for some reason that trick has erased itself from my brain
Hi Paul,

So much has erased itself from my brain that there's hardly anything left. :)

For example, I had completely forgotten that when I updated from BGS to BGS3 I managed to create a whole unused byte in the format, for future options. "Syncable" requires only 1 of those 8 bits, so is easily doable.

With the new option in 226a to give individual timbers a separate colour, the idea of shoved bonus timbers for lineside structures could gain a new lease of life. They can only be rectangular, but several could be combined for more complex outlines.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 May 2020 21:05

Martin Wynne

Paul Boyd wrote:
A "syncable" option does sound ideal though - it would be great if that could be squeezed in.
Hi Paul,

Now available in 226b :).

2_091540_170000000.png2_091540_170000000.png

It's on by default because many folks use the background shapes only for the maps and background guide plans.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 9 May 2020 21:54

Paul Boyd

Hi Martin

Thanks ever so much for that, it works brilliantly and is just what I need.  That's a very rapid release from asking if this was possible!
I was initially confused because the shapes didn't seem to be moving, but I realised that they only move when you finally close the dialogue box to "fix" the templates in place.  That does make sense, of course!

Cheers,
Paul

posted: 10 May 2020 18:55

KeithArmes

Macclesfield - United Kingdom

Hi Martin,

That's great. Particularly in 2mm, you're often working with full size maps and corresponding templates. Moving the whole lot to best fit a baseboard is really useful.

Best,
Keith

Templot Club > Forums > I wish it would... > Keeping shapes in sync
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020