click here for a list of all existing Templot documentation
  Important Privacy Information cookie information pre-print options:    

click image to open Templot Club in a new tab             Search           remove page highlighting
Templot club top logo
  looking for help ? -- -- --
looking for Templot? - (free)

enjoy using Templot? - 

you are not logged in  - Login | Join

receive all messages by email: info

Recent Topics
Front Page  Search  Image Gallery  Gallery Upload  My Account  Members  SourceForge  TemplotMEC  Help  
make a donation  
please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors Templot Companion - User Guide
            messages archive on Yahoo
page trail:  Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Exporting a track plan to create a mimic panel
Templot web site

Exporting a track plan to create a mimic panel
  Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6       
 Start new topic   Reply blank   Printer friendly 
  Rate this topic  
AuthorMessage
 Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
201st message | this message only posted: 25 Jul 2020 16:20
 PM  Reply with quote  Reply blank 
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
It’s just the words Eastwood Town......

How on earth 2,160 copies got into the file God only knows. How can I access this info as I had better check the totem file to see if that 2,160 copies as well......

I may have my moments but couldn’t have pressed that many buttons....:D:D

Clicked a link? Wrong message? Wait until the page has finished loading, click in the address bar and then press the Enter key. This is a timing bug in some browsers.
202nd message | this message only posted: 25 Jul 2020 17:56
Martin Wynne
West Of The Severn, United Kingdom

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Please do not send requests for help direct to me via email or PM.

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Gordon S wrote: It’s just the words Eastwood Town......

How on earth 2,160 copies got into the file God only knows.
Hi Gordon,

God may know, but I've got an inkling too. :(

You have found me another bug to fix. I can see the multi-line text item inserting multiple copies of its font into the file. How it got to 2,160 is indeed alarming, but I can see the process. It's not actually needed at all for Tahoma to be in the file, because all Windows systems have that font available.

It's a bit of a mystery though, because I can't see that you have any such items in the plan?

Whatever, I suggest not using that item for the present, use instead a formatted text block:

which is just as easy to use, but gives you lots of additional options.

I will get the bug fixed. However it's likely to be deep within Nils's code, so I may gone for some time...

cheers,

Martin.

203rd message | this message only posted: 25 Jul 2020 18:58
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
As far as I recall the only text I used was always from the 'sketchboard text one line' button as I had no need for multiple line text. Eastwood Town name and the various text entries on the mimic were all done that way.

2,160 font files is amazing and no wonder the files were so large.

Glad to have stumbled across another possible bug or it may never have surfaced. Sorry it means additional workload for you though....

The good news is I now have a panel 600 x 178 that I'm working on. This will use the DCC Concepts driver boards, but just 3mm led's in a 5mm bezel. Once done I will be able to see which provides the better clarity of routes.

204th message | this message only posted: 25 Jul 2020 20:09
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Post your questions on the forum where everyone can see them and add helpful replies.
Gordon S wrote: Glad to have stumbled across another possible bug or it may never have surfaced. Sorry it means additional workload for you though....Hi Gordon,

Not much work -- I have simply switched off font embedding entirely in the next program update. It was only ever intended to be used for "exotic fonts" and then only for exchanges of sketchboard files between different users/computers where they might not be installed. Barely any practical use in Templot, I don't know why I had it switched on in the first place. On the other hand it's been that way for 10 years without anyone noticeing any problem... :)

Which doesn't explain why the multi-line text item thinks Tahoma is an "exotic font" -- I've been looking at Nils's code for an hour and I'm none the wiser. :?  But with embedding switched off, it has no effect anyway.

One fine day I will set to on the major task of re-writing the sketchboard engine -- it's necessary anyway if it is ever going to get into T3. But not for now.

Glad you are making progress with the mimic panel project. :thumb:

cheers,

Martin.

205th message | this message only posted: 31 Jul 2020 18:12
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Hi Martin, just stumbled across a message in Sketchboard that says 'Can't allocate the DIB handle'

No idea what it means, so I will shut down Templot and start again, but thought you may like to know...

206th message | this message only posted: 31 Jul 2020 19:26
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Gordon S wrote: Hi Martin, just stumbled across a message in Sketchboard that says 'Can't allocate the DIB handle'

No idea what it means, so I will shut down Templot and start again, but thought you may like to know...
Thanks Gordon,

DIB is a Device-Independent Bitmap. It's difficult to know why Windows won't accept its handle without knowing what was going on at the time. Do you happen to remember what you were doing when it came up?

As I've mentioned, Nils's code for the sketchboard engine is far more complex than we need for Templot. There are some chunks of it which just baffle me. One day I'm going to have to rewrite it, if ever I'm going to continue to support it as time goes on. In particular, I'm not convinced we need the alpha blending and transparency functions in the Graphics32 package. I would prefer to stick with the Windows GDI so that we can have hatched and bitmap infills instead. That would also allow much faster rendering on the trackpad for sketchboard items. We might even be able to merge it with the background shapes, which was my original intention.

cheers,

Martin.

207th message | this message only posted: 31 Jul 2020 20:58
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Can’t recall exactly as it wasn’t critical. Possibly trying to select the station platforms to change the colour. I’d previously had them all combined and then split them. The ET totem seems difficult to select and I had to keep taking things from the back to the front.

In the end I just shut Templot down and started afresh with the previously saved version and then was all fine.

Just thought you may like to know.....

208th message | this message only posted: 1 Aug 2020 07:13
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Gordon S wrote: The ET totem seems difficult to select and I had to keep taking things from the back to the front.
Thanks Gordon.

For the totem, drag a rectangle around it to select all the component items, and then edit > combine items. It then becomes a single item which you can select, move, copy and paste elsewhere, etc.

cheers,

Martin.

209th message | this message only posted: 4 Aug 2020 15:02
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Many thanks for the note re group colours, Martin. Much appreciated.
This is my panel file which only appears as plain white once saved as a png file....

210th message | this message only posted: 4 Aug 2020 15:33
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the SK9 file. It exports to PNG fine here. This is the view in Templot:

Your system might not be happy with such a large bitmap. Try changing the 12000 to 4000 just to see if you get a result.

p.s. your white rectangle is a few mm misaligned on the page. Use the edit > re-size item to fill page menu item, and then lock its size and position. Much easier. :)

cheers,

Martin.

211th message | this message only posted: 4 Aug 2020 15:47
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Glad it wasn't me then.....:-)

It worked OK up to 10,000 dpi. Beyond that it was just a white page.

Thanks for the alignment tip. Now done.

Just noticed and checked that I seem to have missed the gaunt settings on one or two turnouts. Probably too late now as I've sent the file, although I may be able to upload it tonight if I'm quick.

The Dibond is white coated aluminium so do I need the white rectangle?

212th message | this message only posted: 4 Aug 2020 15:55
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Gordon S wrote: The Dibond is white coated aluminium so do I need the white rectangle?
No, delete it.

Martin.

213th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2020 08:55
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Quick question for you Martin. Whilst moving some of the led dots around I must have changed the dimensions marginally by not moving with the hand symbol selected. To correct that I would like to select all the dots individually and then modify multiple items. As a test I've selected four items individually, but then can't see the dimensions part of the menu.

I have modify item: multiple items selected (4 items) in the menu bar but then just a blank space beneath. I was hoping to use that to set all the items at 3mm diameter.

Have I missed something?

214th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2020 11:04
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Gordon S wrote: I have modify item: multiple items selected (4 items) in the menu bar but then just a blank space beneath. I was hoping to use that to set all the items at 3mm diameter.

Have I missed something?
Hi Gordon,

You haven't missed anything. With multiple items selected there is no way to know which one to display the dimensions for.

Sorry, there isn't a function to set multiple items to the same absolute values, you must do each one separately.

You can change only multiple relative dimensions. For example if you have 7 items 5mm wide and want to change them all to 3mm wide, you can do this:

1. select all the items.
2. combine them into a single item.
3. change the overall width of the combined item by the relevant factor,
    i.e. to change from 5mm to 3mm multiply it by 0.6
4. split the items again, they will now all be 3mm wide.

I will look at adding some functions to set multiple items to the same absolute values.

To avoid making mistakes, use the locks.

For example, to create 19 LEDs all 3mm diameter:

1. add the first one.
2. tick the lock size box on the control panel.
3. copy and paste the remaining 18 items, and move each one into position.
4. tick the lock position box for each one.

They will all be locked, and you won't be able to change any of them accidentally with the mouse (you can still change the dimensions of each one on the control panel if needed).

Likewise, if you have a group of 3 LEDs for a crossover, you could combine them into a single item, and then copy and paste it as needed.

cheers,

Martin.

215th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2020 11:07
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Thanks Martin. No harm in checking......:thumb:

216th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2020 14:06
Martin Wynne

view images in gallery
view images as slides

Hi Gordon,

I'm adding a new function in the next program update. I managed to shoehorn an extra tickbox into the control panel:

Any geometric item can be set as a reference item by ticking the above box (only one item at any time).

Then other items can be selected, and you can modify them to match the reference item, for dimensions and/or colours:

The reference item can be an existing item, or one created for the purpose and afterwards deleted.

Thanks for the suggestion. :thumb:

cheers,

Martin.

217th message | this message only posted: 5 Aug 2020 14:29
Gordon S

view images in gallery
view images as slides
Wow, Martin, that's amazing.....:thumb:

This is topic ID = 3667     Page created at 14:05 (local time) Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3  4  5  6     
You can type a quick reply to this topic here.

Click in the box to begin.

But to reply to an individual message, or to include images, attachments and formatted text, use the reply buttons on each message above.

To start a new topic in this forum, click the Start new topic button below.
To start a new topic in a different forum, click the Forum Jump drop-down list below.

Start new topic 

click to jump to a different forum:     Back to top of page

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Exporting a track plan to create a mimic panel
about Templot Club

list recently active topics Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.

The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason.
Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020