topic: 3670Scaling a background image
author remove search highlighting

posted: 14 May 2020 18:36

tarik

London - United Kingdom

click the date to link to this post
click member name to view archived images
view images in gallery view images as slides
Hi, I would like to scale the image below into an image whereby I can overlay track in 16.2mm gauge. I have imported the image from Openstreetmaps but when I try to overlay actual track over the image the track is way too big for the image. What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.
Attachment: attach_3051_3670_C557A66B-C8C1-4094-9A44-F682F30BDE77.jpeg     88

posted: 14 May 2020 20:35

Martin Wynne

West Of The Severn - United Kingdom

tarik wrote:
Hi, I would like to scale the image below into an image whereby I can overlay track in 16.2mm gauge. I have imported the image from Openstreetmaps but when I try to overlay actual track over the image the track is way too big for the image. What am I doing wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.
Hi tarik,

First and foremost, did you remember to set your scale and gauge before doing anything with the maps in Templot?

Unless you do this, all bets are off, and everyone forgets. :)

Did you use the Templot screenshot maps function? That's at background > maps menu item:

2_141514_290000000.png2_141514_290000000.png

I just tried with this URL for OpenStreetMap at Ipswich, and it worked fine:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/52.05086/1.14358

If you copy and paste that into the box above, add a name for the map, and then click the show map button, follow the instructions and you should see the map in Templot correctly scaled to match your track.

However, what you see in OpenStreetMap has mostly been traced by amateur mappers (such as me :) ) from aerial images. You may just as well do that yourself for your track planning, with greater accuracy. Also currently Google offers much better aerial imagery than is allowed to be traced in OSM for copyright reasons.

Here for example I am aligning track over the yard at Ipswich. This turnout appears to be a B-7. If you zoom in it's even possible to see that the 16.2mm gauge is narrower than the prototype rails:

2_141528_390000000.jpg2_141528_390000000.jpg

2_141632_300000000.jpg2_141632_300000000.jpg

This is quite easy to do. Unfortunately the Google web site doesn't work very well in the automated capture function, but Templot includes a calculator function to set the required size of a screen capture made manually in your usual browser.

Let me know if you want instructions to do this.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 14 May 2020 22:56

tarik

London - United Kingdom

Thanks for the reply Martin.
Yes, I remembered to scale and gauge but I cannot for the life of me get the track plan to fit my baseboard dimensions.

Here’s the current state of play - it’s over 5 feet wide! 😮
Attachment: attach_3054_3670_DD4F6D39-360D-49EF-BDFF-39D46D5F5983.jpeg     85

posted: 15 May 2020 07:16

Martin Wynne

tarik wrote:
Thanks for the reply Martin.
Yes, I remembered to scale and gauge but I cannot for the life of me get the track plan to fit my baseboard dimensions.

Here’s the current state of play - it’s over 5 feet wide! 😮
Hi tarik,

From your overlaid tracks you would seem to have the map correctly scaled for 4mm/ft scale. Here is a 5ft square on the map:

2_150204_480000000.png2_150204_480000000.png

To fit your baseboards you probably need to twist the image for a better alignment. Here I twisted it by 20 degrees:

2_150207_000000000.png2_150207_000000000.png

You can see that you would need baseboards about 20ft x 3ft to model this area of Ipswich exactly to 4mm/ft scale.

To twist a picture shape, select it in the list, and then on the modify shape tab click the twist... button. Then click the blue bar for enter twist angle.

cheers,

Martin.

posted: 15 May 2020 09:45

tarik

London - United Kingdom

Thanks Martin.
So, I wasn’t too far away then! Lol.

Out of interest, can the track template be resized to fit a certain baseboard size or is it the background shape that determines how big the baseboard needs to be?

Appreciate your help thus far.
Tarik

posted: 15 May 2020 12:27

Martin Wynne

tarik wrote:
Out of interest, can the track template be resized to fit a certain baseboard size or is it the background shape that determines how big the baseboard needs to be?
Hi Tarik,

If you model a real location such as Ipswich, the size of baseboard needed is determined by the size of Ipswich, and the model scale you are using.

If you want to build it on a smaller baseboard you would need to use a smaller scale, such as using N gauge instead of 00.

If you want to stay with 00 on a smaller baseboard you need to find somewhere smaller than Ipswich as a basis for your layout. Or invent a fictional layout which fits your available space.

Many modellers use a real place such as Ipswich only as a source of ideas for their layout, but they don't try to copy it exactly because most places would require far too much space.

If you want to model Ipswich full-size, but don't have room for it yourself, you might suggest to your local model railway club that they build it as a club project in their clubroom. Many of the larger layouts which you see at exhibitions are built by model railway clubs.

cheers,

Martin.

Templot Club > Forums > Templot talk > Scaling a background image
about Templot Club

Templot Companion - User Guide - A-Z Index Templot Explained for beginners Please click: important information for new members and first-time visitors.
indexing link for search engines

back to top of page

Please read this important note about copyright: Unless stated otherwise, all the files submitted to this web site are copyright and the property of the respective contributor. You are welcome to use them for your own personal non-commercial purposes, and in your messages on this web site. If you want to publish any of this material elsewhere or use it commercially, you must first obtain the owner's permission to do so.
The small print: All material submitted to this web site is the responsibility of the respective contributor. By submitting material to this web site you acknowledge that you accept full responsibility for the material submitted. The owner of this web site is not responsible for any content displayed here other than his own contributions. The owner of this web site may edit, modify or remove any content at any time without giving notice or reason. Problems with this web site? Contact webmaster@templot.com.   This web site uses cookies: click for information.  
© 2020